Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED Search and Replace Question for Google Analytics Post 302130755 by Neo on Tuesday 7th of August 2007 05:37:19 PM
Old 08-07-2007
Hi reborg!

Thanks. That works for a single file to standard out very well.

How about this operation for many files in a single directory? Do I need to wrap this in a shell script: read each file in the directory, write to a tmp file and then mv the tmp file to replace the original file?

Or can we do this with one line in sed?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search and replace one more question

Hi, I have a file that contains the following contents: 14:05 apple orange123 456mango 16:45 banana I wanted to replace ONLY the "14:05 " and "16:45" with nothing and trying to use the following syntax sed -e 's/*//g' -e 's/^: //g' my_file > new_temp cat new_temp apple orange... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghazi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Question: Search and Replace start of line to matching pattern

Hi guys, got a problem here with sed on the command line. If i have a string as below: online xx:wer:xcv: sdf:/asdf/http:https-asdfd How can i match the pattern "http:" and replace the start of the string to the pattern with null? I tried the following but it doesn't work: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash sed search and replace question

I have several files that I need to modify using sed. I know how to do that, but now a new requirement has come up. Now, I need to make changes to all lines that don't start with certain strings. For example, I need to change all lines except for lines that start with "a", "hello there",... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RickS
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace question

Hi all, I have one question that hopefully isn't too complicated for the more advanced users here. In one of the Solaris KSH scripts I'm working on, is it possible to script the following: - If there "is" an empty blank line "at the end" of /tmp/text.txt, then remove only that one empty... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatguy
3 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

search replace regex question

Hi, I need to run a search and replace on a large database, what I need to change is all instances of #### (eg. 1764 or 1964) to (####) (eg. (1764) or (1964)) But there might be other numbers in there such as (1764) and I do not need those changed to ((1764)) How can I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace question

Hi all, I am trying to modify an xml file and I wanted to search and replace using the sed command but here is my issue. I want to search and replace maximumHeapSize="512" and replace it with maximumHeapSize="768" but I have multiple files with different values so I can't search for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reyes99
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another sed/awk search=>replace question

Hello, Need a little bit of help. Basically I need to replace lines in a file which were calculated wrong as it would 12 hours to regenerate the data. I need to calculate values based on other files which I've managed to figure out with grep/cut but now am stuck on how to shove these new... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77coder
21 Replies

8. Web Development

Discrepancies Between Our Mobile Detection Code and Google Analytics Regarding Chinese User Agents

Update: Last two days the number of users on the site has peaked (normally around 10AM US Eastern Time) between 4,300 and 4,500. This is the highest number of consistent concurrent users in at least 3 years. ... and the traffic continues to rise week-over-week. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
5 Replies
FLOCK(1)							   User Commands							  FLOCK(1)

NAME
flock - manage locks from shell scripts SYNOPSIS
flock [options] <file|directory> <command> [command args] flock [options] <file|directory> -c <command> flock [options] <file descriptor number> DESCRIPTION
This utility manages flock(2) locks from within shell scripts or the command line. The first and second forms wrap the lock around the executing a command, in a manner similar to su(1) or newgrp(1). It locks a specified file or directory, which is created (assuming appropriate permissions), if it does not already exist. By default, if the lock cannot be immediately acquired, flock waits until the lock is available. The third form uses open file by file descriptor number. See examples how that can be used. OPTIONS
-s, --shared Obtain a shared lock, sometimes called a read lock. -x, -e, --exclusive Obtain an exclusive lock, sometimes called a write lock. This is the default. -u, --unlock Drop a lock. This is usually not required, since a lock is automatically dropped when the file is closed. However, it may be required in special cases, for example if the enclosed command group may have forked a background process which should not be hold- ing the lock. -n, --nb, --nonblock Fail rather than wait if the lock cannot be immediately acquired. See the -E option for the exit code used. -w, --wait, --timeout seconds Fail if the lock cannot be acquired within seconds. Decimal fractional values are allowed. See the -E option for the exit code used. -o, --close Close the file descriptor on which the lock is held before executing command . This is useful if command spawns a child process which should not be holding the lock. -E, --conflict-exit-code number The exit code used when the -n option is in use, and the conflicting lock exists, or the -w option is in use, and the timeout is reached. The default value is 1. -c, --command command Pass a single command, without arguments, to the shell with -c. -h, --help Print a help message. -V, --version Show version number and exit. EXAMPLES
shell1> flock /tmp -c cat shell2> flock -w .007 /tmp -c echo; /bin/echo $? Set exclusive lock to directory /tmp and the second command will fail. shell1> flock -s /tmp -c cat shell2> flock -s -w .007 /tmp -c echo; /bin/echo $? Set shared lock to directory /tmp and the second command will not fail. Notice that attempting to get exclusive lock with second command would fail. shell> flock -x local-lock-file echo 'a b c' Grab the exclusive lock "local-lock-file" before running echo with 'a b c'. ( flock -n 9 || exit 1 # ... commands executed under lock ... ) 9>/var/lock/mylockfile The form is convenient inside shell scripts. The mode used to open the file doesn't matter to flock; using > or >> allows the lock- file to be created if it does not already exist, however, write permission is required. Using < requires that the file already exists but only read permission is required. [ "${FLOCKER}" != "$0" ] && exec env FLOCKER="$0" flock -en "$0" "$0" "$@" || : This is useful boilerplate code for shell scripts. Put it at the top of the shell script you want to lock and it'll automatically lock itself on the first run. If the env var $FLOCKER is not set to the shell script that is being run, then execute flock and grab an exclusive non-blocking lock (using the script itself as the lock file) before re-execing itself with the right arguments. It also sets the FLOCKER env var to the right value so it doesn't run again. EXIT STATUS
The command uses sysexits.h return values for everything else but an options -n or -w failures which return either the value given by the -E option, or 1 by default. AUTHOR
H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2006 H. Peter Anvin. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
flock(2) AVAILABILITY
The flock command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux September 2011 FLOCK(1)