Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Very Strange Behavior for redirection Post 302130563 by zazzybob on Monday 6th of August 2007 07:18:41 PM
Old 08-06-2007
This is because you're "sourcing" the script
Code:
. test.sh

Execute the script in a subshell and this will not happen
Code:
./test.sh

Cheers
ZB

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

strange sed behavior

I have a file called products.kp which contains, for example, 12345678,1^M 87654321,2^M 13579123,3 when I run the command cat products.kp| sed -f kp.sed where kp.sed contains s,^M,, I get the output 12345678,1 87654321,2 13579123,3 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Pryke
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Behavior on COM2

Hi, I have a problem with a new touch screen controller that I am trying to use on a SCO 3.0 system. THe touch screen controller only wants to talk at 9600baud. I have updated /etc/inittab per the manual and also edited /usr/lib/event/devices to use 9600 baud. The only way I can get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elwood51
0 Replies

3. Programming

Strange behavior in C++

I have the following program: int main(int argc, char** argv){ unsigned long int mean=0; for(int i=1;i<10;i++){ mean+=poisson(12); cout<<mean<<endl; } cout<<"Sum of poisson: "<< mean; return 0; } when I run it, I get the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santiagorf
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

strange mail behavior

Hi I have script to to take backup and send mail to a group once a day. One strange behavior I have observed recently is that most of the time the mail we receive is fine . But someday it just sends out mail without any subject with undisclosed recipients. I dont know how to find the cause... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insane redirection behavior

Hi guys, I know computers don't misbehave. But I'm puzzled by what's happening right know in a script : I simplified the example to point out what seems weird to me. Don't try to find any sense to this stupid script. There are 10 rows in /tmp/tmp.txt i=0 tmpfile=/tmp/tmp.txt while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
3 Replies

6. AIX

Strange memory behavior

Hello together, i have a strange memory behavior on a AIX 7.1 System, which i cannot explain. The Filesystem-Cache will not be grow up and drops often after few minutes. I know if a file was deleted, that the same segment in the FS-Cache will also be cleared. But i am not sure if this is the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: -=XrAy=-
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior on one of my server

I am not sure what is wrong, but I have some strange behavior when printing things out. I do create a file with only one word test, no space, no new line etc. nano file<enter> test<ctrl x>y<enter> Server 1 gets (fail) awk '{print "+"$0"*"}' file *test Server 2 gets (OK) awk '{print... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior of grep

Hi All, I am facing a strange problem while grepping for a process. Here is the small script that i have written. It will look for any process running with the parameter passed to the script. If no process is running it should print appropriate message. $ cat t.ksh #!/bin/ksh set -x ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange Ctrl+C behavior

Hello All, I have a strange issue. I've created a shell script which connects to RMAN (Oracle Recovery Manager) and executes full DB backup. I then executed this script with nohup and in the background: $ nohup my_script.sh > logfile.log 2>&1 &The issue is that when I tried to take a look into... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackK
6 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action set the message that will be recorded to describe the end-user action in the reflog, when the script updates a ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)