Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: core dump file size
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers core dump file size Post 302130456 by pushp.gahlot on Monday 6th of August 2007 09:35:29 AM
Old 08-06-2007
core dump file size

Hi All,

is there any way to find out the optimal/would be size of the core dump file generated by the system while a process got terminated abnormally?

Basically we have been asked to provide the size of the core dump file being generated by the administrators who maintained the UNIX boxes. Currently it is 1GB but it easily exceeds this allocated space. So we are looking for bigger suitable size.

Please help advice.

Thanks,
Pushp.

Last edited by pushp.gahlot; 08-06-2007 at 10:44 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump?

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aileen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Core dump in HP-UX..

Hi All I am new for this forum. I have a core file by using gdb and bt cmd I got the function name but I want to the exact cause of the core dump because of I can not reproduse the binary so if any one know the cmd plz plz plz let me know. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gyanusoni
0 Replies

3. Programming

how to view a core dump file

by what name does a core dump file stored??? like i wrote a test code: //dump.c main() { char *p=NULL; printf("%s",p); } of course the above code will produce a segmentation fault. but i cant see any file named core in my CWD. am using SUN0S 5.9 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
6 Replies

4. AIX

core dump

My application gives core dump. When i am debugging with dbx getting instructions below: pthdb_session.c, 818: 695445 PTHDB_INTERNAL (internal error) pthreaded.c, 1941: PTHDB_INTERNAL (internal error) Illegal instruction (illegal opcode) in . at 0x0 warning: Unable to access address 0x0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bapi
1 Replies

5. Programming

How to use a core dump file

Hi All, May be it is a stupid question, but, I would like to know what is the advantage using a core dump file at the moment of debugging using gdb. I know a core dump has information about the state of the application when it crashed, but, what is the difference between debugging using the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lagigliaivan
2 Replies

6. Programming

core dump

how to view core dumped file using gdb and how to extract information from the coredumped file.can we get similar information from the other utilites like strace or ptrace. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manabhanjan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot generate core dump file

Segmentation fault(core dumped) but I cant find core file any where. how to make it out? I try the command:ulimit -c unlimited, I even added it to the .bashrc file.And I removed ulimit setting in /etc/init.d/function. And there's no ulimit setting in /etc/profile. And I tried sudo find /... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
8 Replies

8. HP-UX

Core dump in HP-UX

Hi Guys, I was wondering if somebody could give me a link to a very good source of information or document about core dump process and How to's about it. I have also googled it and found some articles myself. Thanks Messi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: messi777
1 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

How to open the core dump file in linux?

Hi, I have got core dump stating "core.bash.29846" so i am unable to open. How to open the core dump file for further analysis? Reagards Vanitha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
7 Replies

10. Solaris

Problems in reading CORE DUMP file with dbx

I am new to UNIX. My Application is using c (.so files) and Java code. My application crashes and CORE DUMP file is generated ,which is huge. Now I want to view the CORE DUMP file to debug the application using dbx without starting process again. By only using the CORE DUMP file and dbx ,can i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satde
1 Replies
expand_dump(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    expand_dump(8)

NAME
expand_dump - Produces a non-compressed kernel crash dump file SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/expand_dump input-file output-file DESCRIPTION
By default, kernel crash dump files (vmzcore.#) are compressed during the crash dump. Compressed core files can be examined by the latest versions of debugging tools that have been recompiled to support compressed crash dump files. However, not all debugging tools may be upgraded on a given system, or you may want to examine a crash dump from a remote system using an older version of a tool. The expand_dump utility produces a file that can be read by tools that have not been upgraded to support compressed crash dump files. This non-compressed version can also be read by any upgraded tool. This utility can only be used with compressed crash dump files, and does not support any other form of compressed file. You cannot use other decompression tools such as compress, gzip, or zip on a compressed crash dump file. Note that the non-compressed file will require significantly more disk storage space as it is possible to achieve compression ratios of up to 60:1. Check the available disk space before running expand_dump and estimate the size of the non-compressed file as follows: Run tests by halting your system and forcing a crash as described in the Kernel Debugging manual. Use an upgraded debugger to determine the value of the variable dumpsize. Multiply this vale by the 8Kb page size to approximate the required disk space of the non-compressed crash-dump. Run expand_dump and pipe the output file to /dev/null, noting the size of the file that is printed when expand_dump completes its task. RETURN VALUES
Successful completion of the decompression. The user did not supply the correct number of command line arguments. The input file could not be read. The input file is not a compressed dump, or is corrupted. The output file could not be created or opened for writing and truncated. There was some problem writing to the output file (probably a full disk). The input file is not formated consistantly. It is probably corrupted. The input file could not be correctly decompressed. It is probably corrupted. EXAMPLES
expand_dump vmzcore.4 vmcore.4 SEE ALSO
Commands: dbx(1), kdbx(8), ladebug(1), savecore(8) Kernel Debugging System Administration expand_dump(8)