Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Root File System Full
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Root File System Full Post 302130397 by ranj@chn on Monday 6th of August 2007 04:55:09 AM
Old 08-06-2007
process writing to the filesystem

The issue could be because a file to which a process was writing got deleted, but the process is till running. Since there is no entry in the directory the
Code:
du -sk

doesnt show that the filesystem is full, but the bdf shows the output. Since a process is still referencing the inode to write to the file, the filesystem gets full eventhough the file to which the process was writing got deleted.

Try using lsof/fuser to find out the process still writing to the filesystems and then kill the process.
Code:
lsof mount_point
fuser -d mount_point

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Full File System

Hi All, There was a background process running on a Solaris 2.8 machine, and appeared to have filled all available disk-space. I done a killall, and upon re-booting found that the file system had filled up, and will not boot as normal as a result. For example, I'm getting /usr/adm/messages: No... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breen
8 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

root file system full

Hi I have a Solaris 2.5.1 system. Recently my file system is full and i couldn't find what flood my root file system. Anyone can suggext any directories i should look out for. I am using Samba and Patrol agent. I am just usng this server as a file server, users cannot login into the system,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: owls
1 Replies

3. Solaris

File system full?

Hi, I just started working with UNIX on an old semi-fossilized Sun workstation which I use to process LOTS of images,however, I just started to get an error message that the file system is full and then my shell tool or/and text editor freeze up. Help? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bend
8 Replies

4. Solaris

Root file system is 82% full

Hi I want to find out the reason that why root partition is 82% full? when i did fu -k / then most of files were created on /var . can you please help me to find out what I need to do in order to find the reason. Regards Ajwat (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajwat
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Full file system?

I read the sticky and thought of a script I use on a regular basis. Since unless you patch/upgrade the df command on solaris you have a very tought time teling how full the system truly is. Output looks like $ biggest.sh /tmp Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyerder
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root directory full, system does not boot

Hi, I have an SGI workstation running on Irix 6.5. A few days ago the system started giving messages that the root directory is full. Even before I could find out how to clean up the root directory, the system crashed and does not boot anymore. Can anyone help me on how I can get the system to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnanavvk
1 Replies

7. Solaris

file system full

I am receving following Error message in /var/adm/messages "NOTICE: alloc: /: file system full" Disk space usage is as beklow: df -k $ Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d10 76678257 56962561 18948914 76% / /proc ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
8 Replies

8. Solaris

file system full

hello Even though I am not out of inodes or of space, the /var/adm/messages shows messages: file system full I am doing now fcsk -m (400G) and I am still waiting to see the fragmentation results (should I add another option to df to have a faster output?) Do you have any other hints... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root file system full..Need help

Hi guys, In sun E250 server,root file system is full. we cleared log files in var/adm folder syslogs,mail logs,crash logs are empty. This is a production server. we are not able to run fsck from single user mode. I have given output of df and du command.How to create space in root... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PUSHPARAJA
3 Replies
SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)				    systemd-gpt-auto-generator				     SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)

NAME
systemd-gpt-auto-generator - Generator for automatically discovering and mounting root, /home and /srv partitions, as well as discovering and enabling swap partitions, based on GPT partition type GUIDs. SYNOPSIS
/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-gpt-auto-generator DESCRIPTION
systemd-gpt-auto-generator is a unit generator that automatically discovers root, /home, /srv and swap partitions and creates mount and swap units for them, based on the partition type GUIDs of GUID partition tables (GPT). It implements the Discoverable Partitions Specification[1]. Note that this generator has no effect on non-GPT systems, or where the directories under the mount points are already non-empty. Also, on systems where the units are explicitly configured (for example, listed in fstab(5)), the units this generator creates are overridden, but additional implicit dependencies might be created. This generator will only look for root partitions on the same physical disk the EFI System Partition (ESP) is located on. It will only look for the other partitions on the same physical disk the root file system is located on. These partitions will not be searched on systems where the root file system is distributed on multiple disks, for example via btrfs RAID. systemd-gpt-auto-generator is useful for centralizing file system configuration in the partition table and making manual configuration in /etc/fstab or suchlike unnecessary. This generator looks for the partitions based on their partition type GUID. The following partition type GUIDs are identified: Table 1. Partition Type GUIDs +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |Partition Type GUID | Name | Explanation | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |44479540-f297-41b2-9af7-d131d5f0458a | Root Partition (x86) | On 32-bit x86 systems, the first x86 | | | | root partition on the disk the EFI | | | | ESP is located on is mounted to the | | | | root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |4f68bce3-e8cd-4db1-96e7-fbcaf984b709 | Root Partition (x86-64) | On 64-bit x86 systems, the first | | | | x86-64 root partition on the disk | | | | the EFI ESP is located on is mounted | | | | to the root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |69dad710-2ce4-4e3c-b16c-21a1d49abed3 | Root Partition (32-bit ARM) | On 32-bit ARM systems, the first ARM | | | | root partition on the disk the EFI | | | | ESP is located on is mounted to the | | | | root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |b921b045-1df0-41c3-af44-4c6f280d3fae | Root Partition (64-bit ARM) | On 64-bit ARM systems, the first ARM | | | | root partition on the disk the EFI | | | | ESP is located on is mounted to the | | | | root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |993d8d3d-f80e-4225-855a-9daf8ed7ea97 | Root Partition (Itanium/IA-64) | On Itanium systems, the first | | | | Itanium root partition on the disk | | | | the EFI ESP is located on is mounted | | | | to the root directory /. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |933ac7e1-2eb4-4f13-b844-0e14e2aef915 | Home Partition | The first home partition on the disk | | | | the root partition is located on is | | | | mounted to /home. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |3b8f8425-20e0-4f3b-907f-1a25a76f98e8 | Server Data Partition | The first server data partition on | | | | the disk the root partition is | | | | located on is mounted to /srv. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |0657fd6d-a4ab-43c4-84e5-0933c84b4f4f | Swap | All swap partitions located on the | | | | disk the root partition is located | | | | on are enabled. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ |c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b | EFI System Partition (ESP) | The first ESP located on the disk | | | | the root partition is located on is | | | | mounted to /boot or /efi, see below. | +-------------------------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------+ The /home and /srv partitions may be encrypted in LUKS format. In this case, a device mapper device is set up under the names /dev/mapper/home and /dev/mapper/srv. Note that this might create conflicts if the same partition is listed in /etc/crypttab with a different device mapper device name. Mount and automount units for the EFI System Partition (ESP) are generated on EFI systems. The ESP is mounted to /boot, unless a mount point directory /efi exists, in which case it is mounted there. Since this generator creates an automount unit, the mount will only be activated on-demand, when accessed. On systems where /boot (or /efi if it exists) is an explicitly configured mount (for example, listed in fstab(5)) or where the /boot (or /efi) mount point is non-empty, no mount units are generated. When using this generator in conjunction with btrfs file systems, make sure to set the correct default subvolumes on them, using btrfs subvolume set-default. systemd-gpt-auto-generator implements systemd.generator(7). SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.mount(5), systemd.swap(5), systemd-fstab-generator(8), systemd-cryptsetup@.service(8), cryptsetup(8), fstab(5), btrfs(8) NOTES
1. Discoverable Partitions Specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/DiscoverablePartitionsSpec/ systemd 237 SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)