Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: find explantion needed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find explantion needed Post 302130322 by Shell_Life on Sunday 5th of August 2007 08:11:03 AM
Old 08-05-2007
Shary, the best way to have a full explanation of a unix command:
Code:
man command

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help on find with chmod.. urgent help needed

Hello to all Unix gurus.. I am writing a generic script which takes the options of unix command as input and concatenate all the pieces and forms a complete executable command. I am getting an error with the following command as I am resetting my own permission on the root directory. When the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdlayeeq
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace code help needed

I have a file "dbshot.xml" that contains lines that need replacing in a batch format but the parameters are based on two lines. Ex. <role roletype="01"> <status>1 needs to be changed to <role roletype="01"> <status>0 I can't use simply "<status>1" replace since the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: E Orgill
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Remove help needed!!!!

thank you for the help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scooter17
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FIND and REMOVE HELP NEEDED!!!

Hello, I am aware of that Find command finds certain files and remove command removes certain files. However, is there a way to Find certain DIRECTORY and remove that DIRECTORY? thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scooter17
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed with find command

Hi Guys, Can someone help with this. I have to find out a file name which calls the following sql script "abhishek_to_sdw.sql". In other words it contains a pattern like "abhishek_to_sdw.sql". I have found out using "find" command that the file abhishek_to_sdw.sql is existing on the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: max29583
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Assistance Needed With Find/Replace in Vi

Hello All I have always had a question about find and replace in Vi. As this uses Vi, sed, and RegEx I never knew how or where to post the question but I thought I would give it a shot here. Say I have a text file filled with the following: Sue, your IP address is 192.168.1.10 which is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NoSalt
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hi, I'm a complete noobie at UNIX and have hit a problem. I'm using the 'Talend' ETL tool to try and extract flat files from UNIX on a weekly basis. The dates are maintained in a control table and the appropriate folder has been mounted. I am using a component in 'Talend' which enable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markee
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find/mail help needed

so I saved a mail message of mine to a new dir/file My question is how do I find the path to my file containing my saved email from my home dir prompt in unix? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drew211
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find with prune option help needed

Hello, I am using ksh93 (/usr/dt/bin/dtksh) on Solaris and am stuck when trying to use find with the -prune option. I need to search a directory (supplied in a variable) for files matching a certain pattern, but ignore any sub-directories. I have tried: find ${full_path_to_dir_to_search}... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary_w
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi! hi I used find command to find some file names as per input from user. I used it for current directory. It was working fine. Now I tried with giving some other directory path. Its giving issues. Here what I tried. Script will take input from user say 1_abc.txt, find the file and print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
6 Replies
UUX(1C) 																   UUX(1C)

NAME
uux - unix to unix command execution SYNOPSIS
uux [ - ] command-string DESCRIPTION
Uux will gather 0 or more files from various systems, execute a command on a specified system and send standard output to a file on a spec- ified system. The command-string is made up of one or more arguments that look like a shell command line, except that the command and file names may be prefixed by system-name!. A null system-name is interpreted as the local system. File names may be one of(1) a full pathname; (2) a pathname preceded by ~xxx; where xxx is a userid on the specified system and is replaced by that user's login directory; (3) anything else is prefixed by the current directory. The `-' option will cause the standard input to the uux command to be the standard input to the command-string. For example, the command uux "!diff usg!/usr/dan/f1 pwba!/a4/dan/f1 > !fi.diff" will get the f1 files from the usg and pwba machines, execute a diff command and put the results in f1.diff in the local directory. Any special shell characters such as <>;| should be quoted either by quoting the entire command-string, or quoting the special characters as individual arguments. FILES
/usr/uucp/spool - spool directory /usr/uucp/* - other data and programs SEE ALSO
uucp(1) D. A. Nowitz, Uucp implementation description WARNING
An installation may, and for security reasons generally will, limit the list of commands executable on behalf of an incoming request from uux. Typically, a restricted site will permit little other than the receipt of mail via uux. BUGS
Only the first command of a shell pipeline may have a system-name!. All other commands are executed on the system of the first command. The use of the shell metacharacter * will probably not do what you want it to do. The shell tokens << and >> are not implemented. There is no notification of denial of execution on the remote machine. UUX(1C)