Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Optimizing query
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Optimizing query Post 302130209 by kahuna on Friday 3rd of August 2007 02:31:24 PM
Old 08-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixmadhan
Basically, with combination of using selected columns ( column1 ) and the specific rowids ( rowid ), what is the need to specify an extra condition with a separate subquery to extract column1.
Yes you are right that it makes 2 sub-selects. If you have many duplicates, then your original post may be better. But suppose you only have a single duplicate. My subquery1 returns only a single value of column1 (the duplicate), where your subquery returns many values (the non duplicates). So now I have a single value to compare against tableA where you have many values. Yes, I still have to make subquery2, but it is against a much smaller set.

Subquery2 makes sure that, for a given value of column1, we don't delete the row with the smallest rowid.

Last edited by kahuna; 08-03-2007 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: Clarification

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Optimizing the system reliability

My product have around 10-15 programs/services running in the sun box, which together completes a task, sequentially. Several instances of the each program/service are running in the unix box, to manage the load and for risk-management reasons. As of now, we dont follow a strict strategy in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepa
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

optimizing disk performance

I have some questions regarding disk perfomance, and what I can do to make it just a little (or much :)) more faster. From what I've heard the first partitions will be faster than the later ones because tracks at the outer edges of a hard drive platter simply moves faster. But I've also read in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.P
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing for a Speed-up

How would one go about optimizing this current .sh program so it works at a more minimal time. Such as is there a better way to count what I need than what I have done or better way to match patterns in the file? Thanks, #declare variables to be used. help=-1 count=0 JanCount=0 FebCount=0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: switch
3 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Optimizing OSX

Hi forum, I'm administrating a workstation/server for my lab and I was wondering how to optimize OSX. I was wondering what unnecessary background tasks I could kick off the system so I free up as much memory and cpu power. Other optimization tips are also welcome (HD parameters, memory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deiphon
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing the code

Hi, I have two files in the format listed below. I need to find out all values from field 12 to field 20 present in file 2 and list them in file3(format as file2) File1 : FEIN,CHRISTA... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing awk script

Can this awk statement be optimized? i ask because log.txt is a giant file with several hundred thousands of lines of records. myscript.sh: while read line do searchterm="${1}" datecurr=$(date +%s) file=$(awk 'BEGIN{split(ARGV,var,",");print var}' $line) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing search using grep

I have a huge log file close to 3GB in size. My task is to generate some reporting based on # of times something is being logged. I need to find the number of time StringA , StringB , StringC is being called separately. What I am doing right now is: grep "StringA" server.log | wc -l... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing find with many replacements

Hello, I'm looking for advice on how to optimize this bash script, currently i use the shotgun approach to avoid file io/buffering problems of forks trying to write simultaneously to the same file. i'd like to keep this as a fairly portable bash script rather than writing a C routine. in a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing bash loop

now, i have to search for a pattern within a particular time frame which the user will provide in the following format: 19/Jun/2018:07:04,21/Jun/2018:21:30 it is easy to get tempted to attempt this search with a variation of the following awk command: awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

10. Web Development

Optimizing JS and CSS

Yes. Got few suggestions. - How about minifying resources - mod_expires - Service workers setup https://www.unix.com/attachments/web-programming/7709d1550557731-sneak-preview-new-unix-com-usercp-vuejs-demo-screenshot-png (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
8 Replies
MAXDB_AFFECTED_ROWS(3)							 1						    MAXDB_AFFECTED_ROWS(3)

maxdb_affected_rows - Gets the number of affected rows in a previous MaxDB operation

Procedural style

SYNOPSIS
int maxdb_affected_rows (resource $link) DESCRIPTION
Object oriented style int$maxdb->affected_rows () maxdb_affected_rows(3) returns the number of rows affected by the last INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE query associated with the provided $link parameter. If this number cannot be determined, this function will return -1. Note For SELECT statements maxdb_affected_rows(3) works like maxdb_num_rows(3). The maxdb_affected_rows(3) function only works with queries which modify a table. In order to return the number of rows from a SELECT query, use the maxdb_num_rows(3) function instead. RETURN VALUES
An integer greater than zero indicates the number of rows affected or retrieved. Zero indicates that no records where updated for an UPDATE statement, no rows matched the WHERE clause in the query or that no query has yet been executed. -1 indicates that the number of rows affected can not be determined. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Object oriented style <?php $maxdb = new maxdb("localhost", "MONA", "RED", "DEMODB"); /* check connection */ if (maxdb_connect_errno()) { printf("Connect failed: %s ", maxdb_connect_error()); exit(); } maxdb_report (MAXDB_REPORT_OFF); $maxdb->query("DROP TABLE mycustomer"); maxdb_report (MAXDB_REPORT_ERROR); /* Insert rows */ $maxdb->query("CREATE TABLE mycustomer AS SELECT * from hotel.customer"); printf("Affected rows (INSERT): %d ", $maxdb->affected_rows); $maxdb->query("ALTER TABLE mycustomer ADD Status int default 0"); /* update rows */ $maxdb->query("UPDATE mycustomer SET Status=1 WHERE cno > 50"); printf("Affected rows (UPDATE): %d ", $maxdb->affected_rows); /* delete rows */ $maxdb->query("DELETE FROM mycustomer WHERE cno < 50"); printf("Affected rows (DELETE): %d ", $maxdb->affected_rows); /* select all rows */ $result = $maxdb->query("SELECT title FROM mycustomer"); printf("Affected rows (SELECT): %d ", $maxdb->affected_rows); $result->close(); /* Delete table Language */ $maxdb->query("DROP TABLE mycustomer"); /* close connection */ $maxdb->close(); ?> Example #2 Procedural style <?php $link = maxdb_connect("localhost", "MONA", "RED", "DEMODB"); if (!$link) { printf("Can't connect to localhost. Error: %s ", maxdb_connect_error()); exit(); } maxdb_report (MAXDB_REPORT_OFF); maxdb_query($link,"DROP TABLE mycustomer"); maxdb_report (MAXDB_REPORT_ERROR); /* Insert rows */ maxdb_query($link, "CREATE TABLE mycustomer AS SELECT * from hotel.customer"); printf("Affected rows (INSERT): %d ", maxdb_affected_rows($link)); maxdb_query($link, "ALTER TABLE mycustomer ADD Status int default 0"); /* update rows */ maxdb_query($link, "UPDATE mycustomer SET Status=1 WHERE cno > 50"); printf("Affected rows (UPDATE): %d ", maxdb_affected_rows($link)); /* delete rows */ maxdb_query($link, "DELETE FROM mycustomer WHERE cno < 50"); printf("Affected rows (DELETE): %d ", maxdb_affected_rows($link)); /* select all rows */ $result = maxdb_query($link, "SELECT title FROM mycustomer"); printf("Affected rows (SELECT): %d ", maxdb_affected_rows($link)); maxdb_free_result($result); /* Delete table Language */ maxdb_query($link, "DROP TABLE mycustomer"); /* close connection */ maxdb_close($link); ?> The above example will output something similar to: Affected rows (INSERT): 15 Affected rows (UPDATE): 15 Affected rows (DELETE): 0 Affected rows (SELECT): 15 SEE ALSO
maxdb_num_rows(3), maxdb_info(3). PHP Documentation Group MAXDB_AFFECTED_ROWS(3)