Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace first character of string sed Post 302130169 by Shell_Life on Friday 3rd of August 2007 10:32:41 AM
Old 08-03-2007
A plain unix commands solution would be lengthy.
Kahuna's solution is very short and easy to understand
even without knowledge of 'perl'. Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace character in a string

Hi all, My problem is the following: I've a script that must list all files in a directory and write this information in a text file. I've tried to get the list through ls command and then write it using msgecho msgecho "`ls $PATH_APS_JOB_ORA`" This works good but the created string... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: callimaco0082
7 Replies

2. Linux

How to replace the 2nd character in a string using sed?

Hi, i have string var1=NN. Based on conditions, i have to change this first N to Y or second N to Y and send the details to other process. How to do that? This is a linux machine. Thanks, Selva (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bharathappriyan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Sed how can I replace starting from the 7th character to the 15th character.

Hi All, Was wondering how I can do the following.... I have a String as follows "ACCTRL000005022RRWDKKEEDKDD...." This string can be in a file called tail.out or in a Variable called $VAR2 Now I have another variable called $VAR1="000004785" (9 bytes long), I need the content of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace character from string

I have a string ----- i want to replace the 3rd '-' with a character How can i do that Basically im trying to do hangman I have added the '-----' string to a file called hash and i have the character in a variable called $input also i have the character location(index) in this variable... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: omaral
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace character in certain position in a string

Hello everyone this is my first post of many to come :) I am writing a script and in this script at one point i need to replace a character in a particular position in a string for example: in the string "mystery" i would need to replace the 3rd position to an "r" so the string becomes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snipaa
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace a character in a string-help please

I have a string eg. word=promise and I have the masked version of the word which is -------(7dash for each character) if the user input a character O, I want the masked version of the word to be --o---- if the user inputs another character p, then the masked word becomes p-o---- How can i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajugurung
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace with a special character in String

Hi, I am beginner to Shell Scripting. I have a String like this "testabcdef", i need the first character as it is and the remaining character should be replaced by the the '*' character. e.g(t***********) PLZ Suggest me. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
SPPRFS(l)								 )								 SPPRFS(l)

NAME
SPPRFS - improve the computed solution to a system of linear equations when the coefficient matrix is symmetric positive definite and packed, and provides error bounds and backward error estimates for the solution SYNOPSIS
SUBROUTINE SPPRFS( UPLO, N, NRHS, AP, AFP, B, LDB, X, LDX, FERR, BERR, WORK, IWORK, INFO ) CHARACTER UPLO INTEGER INFO, LDB, LDX, N, NRHS INTEGER IWORK( * ) REAL AFP( * ), AP( * ), B( LDB, * ), BERR( * ), FERR( * ), WORK( * ), X( LDX, * ) PURPOSE
SPPRFS improves the computed solution to a system of linear equations when the coefficient matrix is symmetric positive definite and packed, and provides error bounds and backward error estimates for the solution. ARGUMENTS
UPLO (input) CHARACTER*1 = 'U': Upper triangle of A is stored; = 'L': Lower triangle of A is stored. N (input) INTEGER The order of the matrix A. N >= 0. NRHS (input) INTEGER The number of right hand sides, i.e., the number of columns of the matrices B and X. NRHS >= 0. AP (input) REAL array, dimension (N*(N+1)/2) The upper or lower triangle of the symmetric matrix A, packed columnwise in a linear array. The j-th column of A is stored in the array AP as follows: if UPLO = 'U', AP(i + (j-1)*j/2) = A(i,j) for 1<=i<=j; if UPLO = 'L', AP(i + (j-1)*(2n-j)/2) = A(i,j) for j<=i<=n. AFP (input) REAL array, dimension (N*(N+1)/2) The triangular factor U or L from the Cholesky factorization A = U**T*U or A = L*L**T, as computed by SPPTRF/CPPTRF, packed column- wise in a linear array in the same format as A (see AP). B (input) REAL array, dimension (LDB,NRHS) The right hand side matrix B. LDB (input) INTEGER The leading dimension of the array B. LDB >= max(1,N). X (input/output) REAL array, dimension (LDX,NRHS) On entry, the solution matrix X, as computed by SPPTRS. On exit, the improved solution matrix X. LDX (input) INTEGER The leading dimension of the array X. LDX >= max(1,N). FERR (output) REAL array, dimension (NRHS) The estimated forward error bound for each solution vector X(j) (the j-th column of the solution matrix X). If XTRUE is the true solution corresponding to X(j), FERR(j) is an estimated upper bound for the magnitude of the largest element in (X(j) - XTRUE) divided by the magnitude of the largest element in X(j). The estimate is as reliable as the estimate for RCOND, and is almost always a slight overestimate of the true error. BERR (output) REAL array, dimension (NRHS) The componentwise relative backward error of each solution vector X(j) (i.e., the smallest relative change in any element of A or B that makes X(j) an exact solution). WORK (workspace) REAL array, dimension (3*N) IWORK (workspace) INTEGER array, dimension (N) INFO (output) INTEGER = 0: successful exit < 0: if INFO = -i, the i-th argument had an illegal value PARAMETERS
ITMAX is the maximum number of steps of iterative refinement. LAPACK version 3.0 15 June 2000 SPPRFS(l)