Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SED to extract characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED to extract characters Post 302130139 by jaduks on Friday 3rd of August 2007 07:01:56 AM
Old 08-03-2007
SED to extract characters

Are you meaning this type of extractions??

1)
$ echo "Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)"
Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)

**To extract the 7.2 from the above string
$ echo "Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)" | sed 's/Red Hat Linux release \([0-9].*[0-9]\).*/\1/g'

2)
$ id | sed 's/uid=\([0-9]*\).*/\1/g'

3)
$ echo "jadu[1023]" | sed 's/jadu\[\([0-9]*\).*\]/\1/g'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and extract the characters after

Hi All, I have lines like below in a file A /u/ab/test1.dat A/u/ab/test2.dat A /u/bb/test3.dat A/u/cc/test4.dat I will need /u/ab/test1.dat /u/ab/test2.dat /u/bb/test3.dat /u/cc/test4.dat Pls help Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumsup9
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED to extract characters

Hi, Please let me know how do we write a piece of code to extract characters from a line using SED. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract string between two different characters

I want to extract a string from a line in a text file between two different characters: for example: :string" I want to extract string. It has to be done in a one-liner. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract some characters with SED or AWK

Hi, I have the following example string: today_is_a_good_day.txt The character "_" inside the string can sometimes be more or less. The solution for every string equal the count of "_" should be alway the rest after the last underline character. Result: day.txt I want to use awk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: climber
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract characters from a variable

Hi All, I have scenario as below, I want to cut the characters and store it variable2.. and want to display the variable2.. as shown below... eg: the size may differs , i am show just an example..... numbers are not fixed in variable1..i want to extract characters and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

TO Extract Last 10 Characters from a line

Hi Guys!!!!!!!!!!! How do we extract last 13 characters from a line I/p: .R1/new/sv902a.01.per O/p: sv902a.01.per And the no of characters differs in each line.. Kindly help me out in this!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajan
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data between two characters

Hi, how can i extract a data between two characters input file is abc efg hig - 99.4% (16337276 kB) used efg klm - 47.1% (7734968 kB) used hij - 99.4% (16341464 kB) used klm -93.7% (15394516 kB) used output should be 99.4 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jobycxa
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract last 8 characters from a file name

Dear gurus I have several files with the following format filenameCCYYMMDD , that is the last 8 characters will be the date in CCYYMMDD format. eg FILENAME20110523 . Could anyone please put me through on how to extract only the last 8 characters from the files. I am thinking of using awk,sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: erinlomo
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
RHN_REGISTER(8) 						   Red Hat, Inc.						   RHN_REGISTER(8)

NAME
rhn_register - Connect to Spacewalk Server, Red Hat Satellite or Red Hat Network Classic. SYNOPSIS
rhn_register [options] DESCRIPTION
rhn_register is a client program that registers your system with "Spacewalk Server", "Red Hat Satellite" or "Red Hat Network Classic". After registering, your system can receive software updates, install new software, and remotely manage your system. It can run both in graphical and text modes. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Increase the debugging output. --proxy=PROXY Specify an http proxy to use. --proxyUser=PROXYUSER Specify a username to use for an authenticated proxy. This option must be used in conjunction with proxyPassword. --proxyPassword=PROXYPASSWORD Specify a password to use for an authenticated proxy. This option must be used in conjunction with proxyUser. --nox Run in text mode. --version Show the program's version number and exit. -h, --help Show a help message and exit. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid The digital server ID for this machine if the system has been registered onto "Spacewalk Server" or "Red Hat Satellite" or "Red Hat Network Classic". This file does not exist otherwise. /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date The common configuration file used by Red Hat client programs. SEE ALSO
rhn_check(8), rhnreg_ks(8), rhnsd(8), rhn-profile-sync(8), rhnplugin(8), up2date(5). AUTHORS
See the AUTHORS file included with this software. This manual page was written by James Bowes <jbowes@redhat.com> BUGS
Report bugs to <http://bugzilla.redhat.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1999-2011 Red Hat, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Linux 2011 February 4 RHN_REGISTER(8)