Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Korn shell interactive script Post 302129938 by jaduks on Thursday 2nd of August 2007 10:46:30 AM
Old 08-02-2007
Korn shell interactive script

Is this ok ?

$ cat prompt.sh
#!/bin/sh
NOARG=64
f_Usage()
{
echo "Usage: `basename $0` <database> <Output>"
exit $NOARG
}
[ $# -lt 2 ] && f_Usage
database_c=$1
output_f=$2
printf "Your db is $1\nOutput is $2"

<Two args are passed, ok>
$ sh prompt.sh mysql ss
Your db is mysql
Output is ss

<Only one arg is passed, not ok, prompt>
$ sh prompt.sh mysql
Usage: prompt.sh <database> <Output>

<None of the args are passed, prompt>
$ sh prompt.sh
Usage: prompt.sh <database> <Output>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Schedule an interactive shell script

Hi, I need to schedule a shell script which executes another shell script along with a series of other commands. When the inner shell script is executed it prompts for a password..... This inner shell cannot be changed How can I do this???? Regards, Chaitrali. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chaitrali
4 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

interactive shell script to create users 10.4

Hello everyone, Not sure if this is the right place, but OS X isn't your standard Unix, so I figured here would be best. I am looking at creating a script that will be interactive that admins can run to create users. Now, 10.4 uses netinfo database and netinfo manager to handle it's users. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make interactive shell script a automated one?

Hi, I am new to shell scripting.I have written a very simple shell scipt that asks for the username and password on executing. i.e echo "Enter username :" read usrname; echol "Enter password :"; read passwd; echo usrname; echo passwd; but now I want to make it automatic , such... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
2 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Interactive / Non Interactive Shell script

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rits
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to write script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rits
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use expect to run an interactive shell script?

Hi all, I have a bit of a vexing issue here and I'm not certain how best to go about it. Basically, I want to run a shell script and automate the user prompt of hitting 1 to fully uninstall Symantec Anti-Virus for OS X. Would expect be the best way to do this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prometheon123
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using an interactive command

Hello experts, I have a to write script for monitoring, the script would use a command and I plan to write the script as follows while true do command -arg sleep 2 clear done The output would be set up on a screen for monitoring. However the issue is that the command used in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
2 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to write automated interactive shell script?

Hello everyone, I just want to write a shell script for automatic feeding the username and password prompts when running my commands, I tried this one but it did not work. Please help me for any way out. #!/bin/bash #!/usr/bin/expect cd ~/workspace/mimosanetworks_mimosa-nms ls -ltr ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy-sm
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problems executing an interactive shell script

I am new to Unix shell and to this forum. I am having some trouble executing an interactive shell script that I have written using Mac TextEdit that takes a user input via terminal of a file type (jpg or gif) and then activates a script that will iterate through a folder of unsorted file types... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Braveheart
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recording user input from interactive shell script

Hello, I want to start out by saying that I am fairly new to scripting and am looking for someone that can point me in the right direction. Basically what I need is a way to run a interactive script that will prompt users with questions weather that be yes/no or a specific answer.. I want to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoutcast
3 Replies
ckyorn(1)							   User Commands							 ckyorn(1)

NAME
ckyorn, erryorn, helpyorn, valyorn - prompts for and validates yes/no SYNOPSIS
ckyorn [-Q] [-W width] [-d default] [-h help] [-e error] [-p prompt] [ -k pid [-s signal]] /usr/sadm/bin/erryorn [-W width] [-e error] /usr/sadm/bin/helpyorn [-W width] [-h help] /usr/sadm/bin/valyorn input DESCRIPTION
ckyorn prompts a user and validates the response. It defines, among other things, a prompt message for a yes or no answer, text for help and error messages, and a default value (which is returned if the user responds with a <RETURN>). All messages are limited in length to 70 characters and are formatted automatically. Any white space used in the definition (including new- line) is stripped. The -W option cancels the automatic formatting. When a tilde is placed at the beginning or end of a message definition, the default text is inserted at that point, allowing both custom text and the default text to be displayed. If the prompt, help or error message is not defined, the default message (as defined under NOTES) is displayed. Three visual tool modules are linked to the ckyorn command. They are erryorn (which formats and displays an error message), helpyorn (which formats and displays a help message), and valyorn (which validates a response). These modules should be used in conjunction with FACE objects. In this instance, the FACE object defines the prompt. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d default Defines the default value as default. The default is not validated and so does not have to meet any criteria. -e error Defines the error message as error. -h help Defines the help messages as help. -k pid Specifies that process ID pid is to be sent a signal if the user chooses to abort. -p prompt Defines the prompt message as prompt. -Q Specifies that quit will not be allowed as a valid response. -s signal Specifies that the process ID pid defined with the -k option is to be sent signal signal when quit is chosen. If no signal is specified, SIGTERM is used. -W width Specifies that prompt, help and error messages will be formatted to a line length of width. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: input Input to be verified as y, yes, or n, no (in any combination of upper- and lower-case letters). EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful execution. 1 EOF on input, or negative width on -W option, or usage error. 2 Usage error. 3 User termination (quit). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) NOTES
The default prompt for ckyorn is: Yes or No [y,n,?,q]: The default error message is: ERROR - Please enter yes or no. The default help message is: To respond in the affirmative, enter y, yes, Y, or YES. To respond in the negative, enter n, no, N, or NO. When the quit option is chosen (and allowed), q is returned along with the return code 3. The valyorn module will not produce any output. It returns 0 for success and non-zero for failure. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 ckyorn(1)