Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cut sed grep or other?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cut sed grep or other? Post 302129829 by ghostdog74 on Wednesday 1st of August 2007 10:55:55 PM
Old 08-01-2007
Code:
# var=12345676776
# echo ${var%*??}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and cut....

hi, i have a simple question: in hpux 11i; this cmd : cat mailtest |grep sekar >test1 gives the output file with the name test1. i want to remove the line which contains the "sekar" and put the result in the new file.... what is the command for that?.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, cut or combine?

I am a beginner at shell scripting, actually i am working on my first script right now. Anyway i have searched the world how to grep two letters from each word (it will always just be two words). For example: Example Blablabla I want my script to cut out Ex (from the first word) and Bl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maskot
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and cut problem

Hello folks, I have to (e)grep out a certain pattern e.g. <TAG1> from a huge log file which does not have any space as such. The thing is that once I have 'grep'ed out the <TAG1> from the file I need to extract the content within the tags, i.e, <TAG1>Data_To_Be_Extracted</TAG1> The underlined... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajat
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Awk Cut Grep Combination Help ?

I have been reading for a few hours trying to educate myself enough to accomplish this task, so please know I have performed some research. Unfortunately, I am not a *NIX scripting expert, or a coder. I come from a network background instead. SO, here is my desired outcome. I have some Cisco... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abbzer0
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk/sed solution for grep,cut

Hi, From the file "example" with lines like below, I need the int value associated with ENG , i.e, 123 SUB: ENG123, GROUP 1 SUB: HIS124, GROUP 1 .. .. Normally , i do grep ENG example | cut -d ' ' -f 2 | cut -c 4-6 Is it possible to do it in simpler way using awk/sed ? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyam
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep and cut within awk

Hi My input file looks like as follows: say a.txt "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bittoo
5 Replies

7. Slackware

How should I cut this line using cut and grep?

not sure how to do it. wan't to delete it using cut and grep ince i would use it in the shell. but how must the command be? grep "64.233.181.103 wwwGoogle.com" /etc/hosts | cut -d the delimeter is just a space. can you help meplease. :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garfish
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with cut option??

This is my command-line code in my script, passwd=`grep $passwd $userfile | cut -f2 -d: login_users > retrieve` the cut -f2 -d: login_users > retrieve searches and prints the whole column two. what I need is one of the items in the column two only.. what option can I add to my cut... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jenimesh19
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a combination of sort/cut/grep/awk/join/paste/sed

I have a file and need to only select users that have a shell of “/bin/bash” in the line using awk or sed please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print/cut/grep/sed/ date yyyymmdd on the filename only.

I have this filename "RBD_EXTRACT_a3468_d20131118.tar.gz" and I would like print out the "yyyymmdd" only. I use this command below, but if different command like cut or print....etc. Thanks ls RBD_EXTRACT* | sed 's/.*\(........\).tar.gz$/\1/' > test.txt (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
9 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)