Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reading raw disk on Solaris
Operating Systems Solaris Reading raw disk on Solaris Post 302129509 by porter on Tuesday 31st of July 2007 09:17:40 AM
Old 07-31-2007
Try a block size (bs) that matches the drives block size. With a disk it should be multiples of 512.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying oracle tables from raw disk

I have been tasked with archiving Oracle tables. The data is on raw devices, and possibly will span multiple logical volumes. Has anyone ever had to do this? How did you accomplish it? Any references to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isenhart
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

raw disk

What do u mean by raw and cooked disk? What are the advantages of having raw disk? Thanks n regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingsto88
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to create new partitions in solaris,from the raw disk?

Hi all, I would like to know how to make new partitions.... I currently have allocated 60G for various slices (I have totally used 4 out of 7 available slices... I am running only solaris on my box. My plan is to have entire disk dedicated to solaris and run other OS from within... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
19 Replies

4. Solaris

Mounting a Raw Disk

I am using Solaris 10. I have a raw device attached to my system which is /dev/md/rdsk/d91 I want to mount this as a disk with file system on a mount point /u05. Actually this raw device was earlier part of Oracle ASM. Now I have removed this disk from ASM, and want to use it as normal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fahdmirza
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Command to format Oracle ASM raw disk

Hi, Can any one please provide the command to format an Oracle Raw Disk in Solaris 10. I have been used the following commands: dd if=/dev/zero of=<raw disk path> Thanks ---------- Post updated at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:11 AM ---------- Well this didn't give... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
0 Replies

6. Solaris

sparc, raw splice on end of disk

I noticed we have a small splice on end of disk that is not mounted. What could that be and how do we move it few sectors? Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% / ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% /... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Persistent ownership of raw disk during reboots

Hi, I'm in process of creating oracle RAC using Solaris 10 in VirtualBox. I want to know how can I change the ownership of device e.g /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s0 and keep it persistent during rebbots. When I enter chown grid:install /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s0 ls -l still shows root:root. Thanks ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jia786
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

linux 8e vs raw disk

Hi All, Hope someone can help me with this. I have noticed that on some of the servers i am currently administering there is a difference in the setup of some of the LVM disks. Some of the disks have been created by SN disk allocated, disk partitioned using type 8e over the entire disk,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommyk
2 Replies
VOL(1)							      General Commands Manual							    VOL(1)

NAME
vol - split input on or combine output from several volumes SYNOPSIS
vol [-rw1] [-b blocksize] [-m multiple] [size] device DESCRIPTION
Vol either reads a large input stream from standard input and distributes it over several volumes or combines volumes and sends them to standard output. The size of the volumes is determined automatically if the device supports this, but may be specified before the argument naming the device if automated detection is not possible or if only part of the physical volume is used. The direction of the data is automatically determined by checking whether the input or output of vol is a file or pipe. Use the -r or -w flag if you want to specify the direction explicitly, in shell scripts for instance. Vol waits for each new volume to be inserted, typing return makes it continue. If no size is explicitely given then the size of the device is determined each time before it is read or written, so it is possible to mix floppies of different sizes. If the size cannot be deter- mined (probably a tape) then the device is assumed to be infinitely big. Vol can be used both for block or character devices. It will buffer the data and use a block size appropriate for fixed or variable block sized tapes. Vol reads or writes 8192 bytes to block devices, usually floppies. Character devices are read or written using a multiple of 512 bytes. This multiple has an upper limit of 32767 bytes (16-bit machine), 64 kb (32-bit), or even 1 Mb (32-bit VM). The last partial write to a character device is padded with zeros to the block size. If a character device is a tape device that responds to the mtio(4) status call then the reported tape block size will be used as the smallest unit. If the tape is a variable block length device then it is read or written like a block device, 8192 bytes at the time, with a minimum unit of one byte. All sizes may be suffixed by the letters M, k, b or w to multiply the number by mega, kilo, block (512), or word (2). The volume size by default in kilobytes if there is no suffix. OPTIONS
-rw Explicitly specify reading or writing. Almost mandatory in scripts. -1 Just one volume, start immediately. -b blocksize Specify the device block size. -m multiple Specify the maximum read or write size of multiple blocks. The -b and -m options allow one to modify the block size assumptions that are made above. These assumptions are -b 1 -m 8192 for block devices or variable length tapes, and -b 512 -m 65536 for charac- ter devices (32 bit machine.) These options will not override the tape block size found out with an mtio(4) call. The multiple may be larger then the default if vol can allocate the memory required. EXAMPLES
To back up a tree to floppies as a compressed tarfile: tar cf - . | compress | vol /dev/fd0 To restore a tree from 720 kb images from possibly bigger floppies: vol 720 /dev/fd0 | uncompress | tar xfp - Read or write a device with 1024 byte blocks: vol -b 1k /dev/rsd15 Read or write a variable block length tape using blocking factor 20 as used by default by many tar(1) commands: vol -m 20b /dev/rst5 Note that -m was used in the last example. It sets the size to use to read or write, -b sets the basic block size that may be written in multiples. SEE ALSO
dd(1), tar(1), mt(1), mtio(4). VOL(1)