Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers To remove carriage return between the line Post 302129370 by Shell_Life on Monday 30th of July 2007 03:27:55 PM
Old 07-30-2007
If 'awk' is not required:
Code:
while read mLine1
do
  read mLine2
  echo ${mLine1}${mLine2}
done < input_file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a carriage return at end of variable

Is there a command in unix to remove a carriage return character(^M) at the end of a variable value? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagship99
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus returning value - remove carriage return '\r' - Please help

Guys - Simple code, i am trying to get a number back from sqlplus call to a query. After that, i need to use that number in a loop. --------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh VALUE=`sqlplus -silent sh/password@sh <<END set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunshine1974
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove ^M (carriage return) with string manipulation

Hello, I want remove ^M at end of my files line if I use command : tr -d '\r' <inp>out it work fine but get I the same result by manipulating the string ? I want this because in my text file I manipulate some other part I have input "the cat^M" I want output "the cat" I have made... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquila_1
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return in a record

Hi all gurus, I need help in removing carriage return existed within a record delimited by pipe <|>. Sample: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Test ing2|Remarks2 A_03|Test3|Testing3| Remarks3 Desire output: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Testing2|Remarks2... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to remove carriage return from 65th field

Hi, I have a pipe delimited file. There are around 700 columns in the file. The 65th column has carriage return which is causing read issue with our ETL process. I would like to replace the new line characters in 65th field with "nothing" i have return the following code and need help to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return from the variable

Hi, I try to handle very large numbers with a bash script. I run ssh command in a remote server and store the output in a local variable. But this output contains a return carriage at the end. So I try to remove it by tr But I can't figure out the right notation with printf. So my problem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meacham12
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove carriage return

I need to remove the carriage return comes inbetween the record. Need to have CR only at the end. I used the below command. tr -d '\n' < filewithcarriagereturns > filewithoutcarriagereturns But its removing all the CR and giving one line output. Input File: 12345 abcdegh... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: srvn_saru
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Carriage Return (CRLF) within double quotes

How to remove Carriage Return (CRLF) within double quotes in a file. There are multiple CRLFs within double quotes. We are on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS. The file that we are importing is a csv file from unix to windows and the file was formatted to unix2dos. Therefore all lines in the file all have... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: covina
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove newlines and carriage return from a csv file using UNIX

I need to remove new lines and carriage returns from csv file. Is there anything other than sed and gwak by which we could achieve this ? Any suggestions ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A_Gaddale
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return and append the next line

Hi All, My requirement is to remove the carriage return in from the lines which i am reading if the length is lesser than 1330 and append the next line with it. Below is the realistic example of file structure. Input file: Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
16 Replies
pack_fopen(3alleg4)						  Allegro manual					       pack_fopen(3alleg4)

NAME
pack_fopen - Opens a file according to mode. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> PACKFILE *pack_fopen(const char *filename, const char *mode); DESCRIPTION
Opens a file according to mode, which may contain any of the flags: `r' - open file for reading. `w' - open file for writing, overwriting any existing data. `p' - open file in packed mode. Data will be compressed as it is written to the file, and automatically uncompressed during read opera- tions. Files created in this mode will produce garbage if they are read without this flag being set. `!' - open file for writing in normal, unpacked mode, but add the value F_NOPACK_MAGIC to the start of the file, so that it can later be opened in packed mode and Allegro will automatically detect that the data does not need to be decompressed. Instead of these flags, one of the constants F_READ, F_WRITE, F_READ_PACKED, F_WRITE_PACKED or F_WRITE_NOPACK may be used as the mode parameter. The packfile functions also understand several "magic" filenames that are used for special purposes. These are: `#' - read data that has been appended to your executable file with the exedat utility, as if it was a regular independent disk file. `filename.dat#object_name' - open a specific object from a datafile, and read from it as if it was a regular file. You can treat nested datafiles exactly like a normal directory structure, for example you could open `filename.dat#graphics/level1/mapdata'. `#object_name' - combination of the above, reading an object from a datafile that has been appended onto your executable. With these special filenames, the contents of a datafile object or appended file can be read in an identical way to a normal disk file, so any of the file access functions in Allegro (eg. load_pcx() and set_config_file()) can be used to read from them. Note that you can't write to these special files, though: the fake file is read only. Also, you must save your datafile uncompressed or with per-object compression if you are planning on loading individual objects from it (otherwise there will be an excessive amount of seeking when it is read). Finally, be aware that the special Allegro object types aren't the same format as the files you import the data from. When you import data like bitmaps or samples into the grabber, they are converted into a special Allegro-specific format, but the `#' marker file syntax reads the objects as raw binary chunks. This means that if, for example, you want to use load_pcx() to read an image from a datafile, you should import it as a binary block rather than as a BITMAP object. Example: PACKFILE *input_file; input_file = pack_fopen("scores.dat", "rp"); if (!input_file) abort_on_error("Couldn't read `scores.dat'!"); RETURN VALUE
On success, pack_fopen() returns a pointer to a PACKFILE structure, and on error it returns NULL and stores an error code in `errno'. An attempt to read a normal file in packed mode will cause `errno' to be set to EDOM. SEE ALSO
pack_fclose(3alleg4), pack_fopen_chunk(3alleg4), packfile_password(3alleg4), pack_fread(3alleg4), pack_getc(3alleg4), file_select_ex(3alleg4), pack_fopen_vtable(3alleg4), expackf(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 pack_fopen(3alleg4)