Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: To write to console and file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To write to console and file Post 302129252 by harikamamidala on Monday 30th of July 2007 07:28:01 AM
Old 07-30-2007
To write to console and file

Hi,

How can i redirect the traces to both the console and to a file..
The way i was doing was:

/home/harika/harika/samp.exe
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
echo "executed the first exe.." >> /dev/console;/home/harika/harika/trace.txt

/home/harika/harika/memset.exe
echo "executed the second exe..." >> /dev/console;/home/harika/harika/trace.txt

else
echo " the first executable is not properly executed..." >> /dev/console;/home/harika/harika/trace.txt
fi

Its giving me error as permission denied.. I have logged as root user and even changed the permissions of the /dev/console to 777...

Regards,
Harika

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/console file

Hello, I am fairly new to UNIX. I ran command tty on my shell prompt and it return me /dev/console. I was reading in the book that normally output of tty command is tty01 , tty02 or so on. My question is this is the file for my monitor? UNIX called it Terminal or Workstation? What is this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikabid
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i access (mount, read & write) a floppy disk from the console, not being root?

welll, the title quite explains what i want to do thanks for your time! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfaday
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

WRITE a message in console

Hi all, I have a requirement, where I need to do some calculations and based on the results I need to write a message to the user from a shell script. Is it possible to `write' inside the script? Something like the below one.. #! /bin/ksh write user12 << EOF Hello World <<EOF For... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Console file manager.

Hi Anybody know any good console file manager other than Midnight Commander? MC development ended in 2005, so i thought may be there is something newer. I'm interesting only i console. I scrolled through list of file managers in wiki but it seems that all modern are GUI, not console. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kukuruku
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

console /dev/console get image

We are using software (Pegasys) which runs on SunOS 5.8 and reads images from a Philips nuclear camera. The software is designed to run from the console. I need to be able to capture the images it produces on the display. The caveat is that I cannot use the X Windows display because the X Server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyes27
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows to Linux remote console using VNC brings up blank console screen with only mouse pointer

:confused:Hi This was installed on the Linux box a few weeks back by a guy that no longer works for us. All worked fine until last week. Now when we connect its just a blank screen with no icons. I get a whole bunch of errors when starting the service too: Tue Feb 23 14:29:45 2010 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wbdevilliers
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changes to write output to logfile and console

Friends, Below is the script which writes output to LOGFILE, however I want the entire log written to LOGFILE and also console. Please suggest me the changes I need to do here. #!/bin/ksh x=${0##*/} LOGFILE="x.log" echo "CAUTION : Files once deleted cannot be restored" printf 'Would... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fop4658
8 Replies
Tk_InitConsoleChannels(3)				       Tk Library Procedures					 Tk_InitConsoleChannels(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tk_InitConsoleChannels - Install the console channels as standard channels SYNOPSIS
#include <tk.h> Tk_InitConsoleChannels(interp) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter in which the console channels are created. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tk_InitConsoleChannels is invoked to create a set of console channels and install them as the standard channels. All I/O on these channels will be discarded until Tk_CreateConsoleWindow is called to attach the console to a text widget. This function is for use by shell applications based on Tk, like wish, on platforms which have no standard channels in graphical mode, like Win32. The interp argument is the interpreter in which to create and install the console channels. NOTE: If this function is used it has to be called before the first call to Tcl_RegisterChannel, directly, or indirectly through other channel functions. Because otherwise the standard channels will be already initialized to the system defaults, which will be nonsensical for the case Tk_InitConsoleChannels is for. SEE ALSO
console(n) KEYWORDS
standard channels, console Tk 8.5 Tk_InitConsoleChannels(3)