Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pkgadd issues
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users pkgadd issues Post 302129071 by ggr on Saturday 28th of July 2007 12:56:59 AM
Old 07-28-2007
Is this a custom package or downloaded from vendor site? if it is custom package, I would suggest you look into the package as to what ID is this script running as. I know you are root and adding the package, but within SVR packaging, you can change all that to make another user install and layout the files.

Also you may need to look at prototype file within the package to see who is the targeted owner of the file/dir that is being created.

If you do have access to the package contents, you can use pkgtrans to get the prototype file. Make sure you read man page of pkgtrans before you use it.

-GGR

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pkgadd

I am adding gcc 3.3.2 to my unix box what is the best way to do it???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alsande
4 Replies

2. Solaris

pkgadd

is there an option in pkgadd to accept the default option? I want to use pkgadd in a script and do not want to stop at intercative questions. thx. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pkgadd issues

Please inform me on how I can resolve the PaTcH_MsG 8 Version message below I am running solaris 9 9/05 HW on a Sun V445. Thank you. # pkgadd SUNWqlc Processing package instance <SUNWqlc> from </var/spool/pkg> Qlogic ISP 2200/2202 Fibre Channel Device Driver (sparc)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GLJ@USC
3 Replies

4. Solaris

pkgadd help

I'm trying to install a package and it worked on most of the sun boxes and one of the box is just freezing and not going further. Her is the output. pkgadd -d packagename.dstream Select package(s) you wish to process (or 'all' to process all packages). (default: all) : Processing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mokkan
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Pkgadd problem

Hi there, I need to install the Sun explorer package on hundreds of boxes and am writing a script to install it ..However, When you run pkgadd -d SUNWexplo It is interactive .....well i say interactive ...it gives you two questions both of which I answer a simple yes to. So i tried ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
9 Replies

6. Solaris

pkgadd?

Hi all. Is there an option to #pkgadd to test if package bundle you want to install requires a reboot? #pkgadd -d "package bundle" an option like test or a dry run? Suggestions, anyone? :confused: Reloader (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reloader
2 Replies

7. Solaris

pkgadd woes

Morning all, I am attempting to load a package from a Solaris 8 CDROM. This fails with the error : "pkgadd: ERROR: unable to access pkgmap file </cdrom/ .........../SUNWlibC/pkgmap> No changes were made to the system" Any help would be appreciated Andy (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndyD
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Pkgadd error

Hi All, Good Mng,Here I am getting one error while adding the top package to one of my Aun server. root@HYDREM01 # pkgadd -d top-3.6.1-sol9-sparc-local The following packages are available: 1 SMCtop top (sparc) 3.6.1 Select package(s) you wish to process (or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbreddy
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

pkgadd question

Hi, Please could someone help me, understand how pkgadd works within unix. I have a software file, and I need to package this up and then pkgadd this to another server. Please could some advise me the best way to do this. regards venhart (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
2 Replies

10. Solaris

pkgadd changes permissions of /etc

Hi, when I install a package using pkgadd, it correctly installs the binary files with the user name that I want. However it also changes the permissions of /etc/rc2.d. I don't want this to happen. I want to retain original owner of /etc/rc2.d as it is. I could see that before installing,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: funwithdolphin
1 Replies
DPKG-REPACK(1)						      General Commands Manual						    DPKG-REPACK(1)

NAME
dpkg-repack - put an unpacked .deb file back together SYNOPSIS
dpkg-repack [--root=dir] [--arch=architecture] [--generate] packagename [packagename ...] DESCRIPTION
dpkg-repack creates a .deb file out of a Debian package that has already been installed on your system. If any changes have been made to the package while it was unpacked (ie, conffiles files in /etc modified), the new package will inherit the changes. (There are exceptions to this, including changes to configuration files that are not conffiles, including those managed by ucf.) This utility can make it easy to copy packages from one computer to another, or to recreate packages that are installed on your system, but no longer available elsewhere. Note: dpkg-repack will place the created package in the current directory. OPTIONS
--root=dir Take package from filesystem rooted on <dir>. This is useful if, for example, you have another computer nfs mounted on /mnt, then you can use --root=/mnt to reassemble packages from that computer. --arch=architecture Make the package be for a different architecture. dpkg-repack cannot tell if an installed package is architecture all or is spe- cific to the system's architecture, so by default it uses dpkg --print-architecture to determine the build architecture. If you know the package is architecture all, you can use this option to force dpkg-repack to use the right architecture. --generate Generate a temporary directory suitable for building a package from, but do not actually create the package. This is useful if you want to move files around in the package before building it. The package can be built from this temporary directory by running "dpkg --build", passing it the generated directory. packagename The name of the package to attempt to repack. Multiple packages can be listed. BUGS
This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. There is a tricky situation that can occur if you dpkg-repack a package that has modified conffiles. The modified conffiles are packed up. Now if you install the package, dpkg does not realize that the conffiles in it are modified. So if you later upgrade to a new version of the package, dpkg will believe that the old (repacked) package has older conffiles than the new version, and will silently replace the conffiles with those in the package you are upgrading to. While dpkg-repack can be run under fakeroot and will work most of the time, fakeroot -u must be used if any of the files to be repacked are owned by non-root users. Otherwise the package will have them owned by root. dpkg-repack will warn if you run it under fakeroot without the -u flag. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-REPACK(1)