Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Working with Script variables; seems like this should work... Post 302129049 by kahuna on Friday 27th of July 2007 05:24:30 PM
Old 07-27-2007
try
Code:
eval abc$g=hello

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

variables don't work for inline "su" script

My first post here... I cannot get variables to work when using inline KSH commands on a "su" command. I have a KSH script, below, that produces my problem: #!/usr/bin/ksh su <user_id> <<-END export FLD1=`echo $PWD` pwd echo $FLD1 echo TEST echo $PWD END The script will prompt me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joekreif
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command not work with variables?

I am trying to write a simple script which will take a variable with sed to take a line out of a text and display it #!/bin/sh exec 3<list while read list<&3 do echo $list sed -n '$list p'<list2 done this does not work, yet when I replace the $list variable from the sed command and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd command doesn't work through variables

Hi.... cd command is not working when dual string drive/volume name is passed to cd through variables....... For Ex.... y=/Volumes/Backup\ vipin/ cd $y the above command gives error....... anyone with a genuine solution ? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipinchauhan222
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading external variables does not work

... declare vINIFILE vINIFILE=$1 ... echo "The name of the File is $vINIFILE" >>mail_tmp echo "" >> mail_tmp.$$ ... grep RUNJOB=0 $vINIFILE >>tmp_filter ... So the strange is in echo-statement I get the correct output for $vINIFILE wrtitten into the file mail_tmp. But the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that "should work" it's not working.

Hi, this is my script: #!/bin/bash trabajo=$1 numero=`jobs | grep -n $trabajo | cut -d':' -f1` echo $trabajo echo $numero kill %$numero wait For some reason, numero=`jobs | grep -n $trabajo | cut -d':' -f1` that line wont save in numero the number I am looking for BUT if I write it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamachejo
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

My script work on Linux but not work in sunos.

My script work on Linux but not work in sun os. my script. logFiles="sentLog1.log sentLog2.log" intial_time="0 0" logLocation="/usr/local/tomcat/logs/" sleepTime=600 failMessage=":: $(tput bold)Log not update$(tput rmso) = " successMessage="OK" arr=($logFiles)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables not working

Hello, I have a (basic I guess) problem with bash scripting. In the command line, this piece of code returns nothing (a blank line), and if I'm not worng it should return 3. set VAR = "3" echo $VAR if I do this (also in command line), a zero is returned: set VAR = 3 printf "%d"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlseminara
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem getting sed to work with variables

Hello, I am processing text files looking for a string and replacing the first occurrence of the string with something else. For the text,id Name 1 methyl-(2-methylpropoxy)-oxoammonium 2 N-amino-N-(methylamino)-2-nitrosoethanamine 3 3-methoxy-3-methyloxazolidin-3-ium... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] passing variables to executable doesn't work

Bash version 4.4.20 / Ubuntu 16.0.4 Hello, I tried to write a script that gathers some data and passes them to an executable. The executed application answers with an error. The echo output in the script returns correct values. If I copy/paste the last echo command, it get's executed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushi2k7
2 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)