Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Hiding Passwords while typing.. Post 302129001 by rrs on Friday 27th of July 2007 02:03:31 PM
Old 07-27-2007
Hiding Passwords while typing..

Hi,

We need ur advice,...
We are integrating our application (oracle) with OID,and OID is with another team.
While integrating they have to provide their 'ADMIN-password' when the script prompts ,But the password they are about type is visible.
If this is the case they are denying it,....
Is there any way to hide the password what they are typing..

We hav to configure this in VNC session,and they will provide simply their password..and leave the session......

Hope I am clear.......Itz little bit URGENT..!!

Regrards

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stuck after typing goto

uname -a returns: SMP Tue May 17 17:52:23 EDT 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux I have many aliases beginning with "goto" so... if I type goto and then hit return (oops) A goto prompt pops up and I cant exit from it(I tried MANY key seqs) The only way to exit is to kill the term window... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rairey
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

No output to CL when typing in CL.

Hello all, I am in a terminal on Solaris and something weird is happening... When I am typing I can't see what I am typing, although what I am typing is working. As is if I type the command and hit enter, the command runs. Anyone have a clue why or how I can make it display my typing? Is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining typing latency

Hi all, When I use an editor (vi) that is spawned in a remote server, visually I could see the latency between typing a character/word and being displayed on the terminal. I could see this visually but how do I get a metric on this or how to quantify this? As expected, when I type in a editor... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in?

I've been using various versions of UNIX and Linux since 1993, and I've never run across one that showed your password as you type it in when you log in, or one that stored passwords in plain text rather than encrypted. I'm writing a script for work for a security audit, and two of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No $ when typing cw

Hi As a dummy my question is very simple. When typing cw I've read (many times) that a '$' should appear at the end of the word I'm about to change. However, it doesn't, and in my case the word is instantly deleted and so ready to be changed! Can somebody tell me why this is, or maybe I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joesh
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zero typing problem!

H, I I have this below script for removing the full path from a string which is indeed a filepath location if windows. It converts input \abc\asssh\abc To abc But if filename has 0 like: \abc\abc\00000Hgg Then its typing abc00000Hgg PLEASE note that its solaris. Script is: more... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
10 Replies

7. HP-UX

@ typing creates new line

Dear Concern, Please go through the article https://www.unix.com/hp-ux/134072-typing-sign-creates-new-line.html As per the article, we need to initiate below commands. But after creating new session, we face same problem. Please advise. stty intr "^c" stty kill "^u" Please find below... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
6 Replies
VIPW(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   VIPW(8)

NAME
vipw -- edit the password file SYNOPSIS
vipw [-d directory] DESCRIPTION
The vipw utility edits the password file after setting the appropriate locks, and does any necessary processing after the password file is unlocked. If the password file is already locked for editing by another user, vipw will ask you to try again later. The default editor for vipw is vi(1). When run without options, vipw will work with the password files in /etc. The -d option may be used to specify an alternative directory to work with. The vipw utility performs a number of consistency checks on the password entries, and will not allow a password file with a ``mangled'' entry to be installed. If vipw rejects the new password file, the user is prompted to re-enter the edit session. Once the information has been verified, vipw uses pwd_mkdb(8) to update the user database. This is run in the background, and, at very large sites could take several minutes. Until this update is completed, the password file is unavailable for other updates and the new information is not available to programs. ENVIRONMENT
If the following environment variable exists it will be utilized by vipw: EDITOR The editor specified by the string EDITOR will be invoked instead of the default editor vi(1). This can be used to allow a script to non-interactively modify the password file. PW_SCAN_BIG_IDS See pwd_mkdb(8). SEE ALSO
chpass(1), passwd(1), passwd(5), adduser(8), pw(8), pwd_mkdb(8) HISTORY
The vipw utility appeared in 4.0BSD. BUGS
The mechanism for checking for password file modifications requires that the modification time of the password file changes. This means that in a default configuration where file system timestamps are not calculated with sub-second precision, EDITOR has to run for at least one sec- ond. Non-interactive editor scripts should invoke sleep(1) or equivalent to ensure this happens. BSD
February 14, 2012 BSD