Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep results to store in a shell variable Post 302128793 by Shell_Life on Thursday 26th of July 2007 11:43:49 AM
Old 07-26-2007
Code:
for mLine in `grep -n 'PATTERN' file`
do
  echo 'mLine = '${mLine}
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

store awk results in a variable

I try to get the month (of last save) and the filename into a variable, is this possible ? something like this : for month in `ls -la | awk '{print $6}'` do if ] then a=filename of the matching file cp $a /Sep fi thanks, Steffen (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to store grep command in a Variable

I have a variable A echo $A 5060 I am exporting the value X,Y,Z and it id fetching right thing and When I run C=`${X} -l ${Y} ${Z} "trap '' INT;. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; netstat -na | grep \$A`" here it is going to same directory and also running netstat -na | grep 5060 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putting grep -c results number in a variable

I want to display "no results found" if a grep search of a name that the user inputs is not found anywhere in a certain file, Right now I have this, but doesn't seem to work. Im not sure what to change. read name results=grep -c $name file if ; then echo "No results found." exit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busdude
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using GREP/AWK to extract a number and store it as a variable

Hello, I have a question regarding the awk command. Here is the line I need to grep: 1 F= -.13250138E+03 E0= -.13249556E+03 d E =-.174650E-01 mag= 35.2157 Instead of displaying the number in red I would like to store it as a variable such as X. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: modey3
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep attribute value pair and store it a variable

Hi, I have a file contains attribute value pair like.. ..name=erick rollno=583.0 pass=recon.. From the above line, i need to grep for only "rollno" and store "rollno=583.0" in a variable. Pls suggest (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skraja1982
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding grep'd results in a variable

Here is one I am baffled with; I have not used unix for a while and now that I am back it has been fun remembering and I have enjoyed it, for the most past. this is in ksh. I need to search in a file for the line with X1 and cut columns 20-25, put them into a variable, added them (dollar... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CougarMutt
3 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to store the value of grep in a variable

Hi , I was trying to store the value of a grep command to store in a variable so i can use it somewhere else in my script but i am getting error, i am using bash shell in linux: var= `grep -n "$DATE" testfile.log | head -n 1 | sed -n 's/^\(*\).*/\1/p` echo "$var"I get the error: unexpected... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learninguser235
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store result of grep into a variable?

In a directory i have a file *output* whose contents are changing for every simulation. zgrep "trace file is" *output* | zgrep g o/p: trace file is Int_01.1352176388z4f56ec33.0.trace.gz I want to extract "Int_01.1352176388z4f56ec33.0.trace.gz" from the above result into a variable. i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twistedpair
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store results of multiple sql queries in shell variables in ksh?

Hi, I have a script where I make a sqlplus connection. In the script I have multiple sql queries within that sqlplus connection. I want the result of the queries to be stored in shell variables declared earlier. I dont want to use procedures. Is there anyway else. Thanks in advance.. Cheers (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gonchusirsa
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)