Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem in passing parameters with spaces Post 302128668 by njraman on Thursday 26th of July 2007 01:55:18 AM
Old 07-26-2007
problem in passing parameters with spaces

hi

im passing 4 parameters to a file....like

/userr/script/go.sql $1 $2 $3 $4

and i get them in the other script and make and insert into the tabke

insert into xy values('&1','&2','&3','&4');

what is the problem is tht when any one paramter has a space in them like

"airtel mobile"

i get airtel as one paramter and mobile as another ..

how to work aroind this ..i even used double quotes like this

/userr/script/go.sql $1 "$2" $3 $4

still not working

can any body help me out

thanks
jram

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing parameters in script

I have 2 scripts: script1 and script2 Script1 passes 4 parameters to script2 as follows #script1 code ... ... script2 $var1 $var2 $var3 $var4 Script2 uses the export command to know to expect these values #script2 export $1 $2 $3 $4 code ... ... The problem that I am having is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eliguy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing more than 9 parameters

hi, i am passing around 14 parameters for a script a=$1 b=$2 c=$3 d=$4 e=$5 f=$6 g=$7 h=$8 i=\"${9}\" shift j=\"${1}\" still for j it is displaying the 1st parameter value..how to make it take the 10th parameter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameters using awk

Hi, The below script is working fine awk1.sh ======= awk BEGIN { FS="|" } FNR==NR { f1=$2; next } $1 in f1 && $2 =="xx" && $1 == "DAILY_JOB" {print $3} awk -f awk1.sh a.txt b.txt--Its working fine . When passing parameters its not working .Any help it should be appereciated. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akil
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate the passing of parameters

I am writing a script that should read the csv file and pass the values in the file as parameters to the script. The csv file looks like this: TEST_1,20110221 TEST_2,20110220 TEST_3,20110218,20110219 Currently this is how i am running the script ./test.sh <param1> <date> Ex: ./test.sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunnerz_84
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing the parameters through a file

Hi All, I have written a shell script and the script is working fine, I am passing my MIT_ID(NUMBER VALUE) to the shell script from the command prompt and my script is executing as expected. Now I have to pass all the MIT_ID's from a .txt file to the shell script,as I am automating this I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameters to the script

how can i make a script to run only when parameters are given, if parameters are not given it should through an error , saying "please enter a parameter" for ex: i want a find command to run only when the parameters are given (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: knip
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameters with spaces

we are using following script to execute stored procedue. The problem is run_pmcmd.ksh script is using $* parameter which is not taking in account 'Men Shirt' parameter which includes spaces. 1. Step 1 run_pmcmd.ksh CONVERT_TEST script for run_pmcmd.ksh /u01/$(whoami)/run_pmcmd.ksh... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy162
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing 2+ parameters to one command

I have a script that uses more than one parameter. It looks like this: for i in `cat /tmp/listofpolicies`; do for x in $(cat /tmp/lst |sed 's/^/\/usr\/openv\/netbackup\/db\/class\//g'); do /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplinclude $i -delete -f $x;done;done The problem is that the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Parameters to Crontab

Hello Experts, I have a requirement to pass some parameters to Linux cron tab. For ex: My default cron entry looks like this as below: ------------------------------- 55 10 * * --... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaheshChaudhari
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameters with spaces between scripts

I have 2 scripts. test.sh, which calls submit2.sh. One of the parameters contains space and is quoted. ((((./submit2.sh Group_1_2_AMS_DAILY_CORE_GRP03 AMS AMS_D 'DAILY REPORT PROCEDURES'; echo $?>&3) | tee 1.log >&4)3>&1) | (read xs; exit $xs)) 4>&1 echo parm 1 = $1 echo parm 2 = $2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andyclam
1 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)