Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: variables
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers variables Post 302128511 by fwabbly on Wednesday 25th of July 2007 08:15:29 AM
Old 07-25-2007
my problem isnt with getting to the numbers (altho your suggestions are nicer!). The code i used with sed got the numbers but it doesnt seem to store them in the new variables. when i run the script in order to print out the new variables it just returns 2 blank lines

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Variables to Set Other Variables

I have a script that I'm trying to shorten (below) by removing repetitive code. if ] then commodity_ndm_done=Y fi if ] then customer_ndm_done=Y fi if ] then department_ndm_done=Y fi if ] then division_ndm_done=Y fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superdelic
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

non-variables with $

I am writing a csh script and I need to echo a word that starts with $ and is not a variable. How do I do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oprestol
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

naming variables with variables

Hello, FIRST QUESTION: I am writing a script in which a query is taken at the beginning of the script to be later used at the end. In the query, variables are generated from a loop, and I would like to assign the variable NAME (not value) with an appended 1, 2, 3, 4.....n. The number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allasso
2 Replies

4. Programming

How to convert byteArray variables to HexaString variables for Linux?

Hello everybody, I am having problem in converting byte array variables to Hexa String variables for Linux. I have done, converting byte array variables to Hexa String variables for Windows but same function doesn't work for linux. Is there any difference in OS ? The code for Windows is given... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritesh_163
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using cd on Variables

I can't for the love of me figure out how to work with double quotes and single quotes in variables in bash scripts. For instance, I added the following line to my .bash_aliases file: WINDOWS="'/host/Documents and Settings/Solar Zenith/My Documents'"; I want this so that I can go straight to 'My... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solar zenith
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables

I need to define a variable of variable. I'll try to explain it. I've a list: LIST="aaa bbb ccc"I need to do something like: for word in LIST ;do res_$word=`ls $word` done This doesn't work. Any idea? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekaes
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script with multiple variables like 25 variables.

Hi All, i have a requirement where i have to run a script with at least 25 arguements and position of arguements can also change. the unapropriate way is like below. can we achieve this in more good and precise way?? #!/bin/ksh ##script is sample.ksh age=$1 gender=$2 class=$3 . . .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH arrays and variables of variables in C++

Sometimes it is handy to protect long scripts in C++. The following syntax works fine for simple commands: #define SHELLSCRIPT1 "\ #/bin/bash \n\ echo \"hello\" \n\ " int main () { cout <<system(SHELLSCRIPT1); return 0; } Unfortunately for there are problems for: 1d arrays:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass variables into anothother variables?

Below are three variables, which I want to pass into variable RESULT1 username1=userid poihostname1=dellsys.com port1=8080 How can I pass these variables into below code... RESULT1=$((ssh -n username1@poihostname1 time /usr/sfw/bin/wget --user=sam --password=123 -O /dev/null -q... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manohar2013
4 Replies
nl(1)							      General Commands Manual							     nl(1)

NAME
nl - Numbers lines in a file SYNOPSIS
nl [-b type] [-d delimiter1[delimiter2]] [-f type] [-h type] [-i number] [-l number] [-n format] [-p] [-s [separator]] [-vnumber] [-wnum- ber] [file] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: nl: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Use the following options to change the default settings. Specifies which body section lines to number. The recognized types are as fol- lows: Numbers all lines. Number only non-empty lines. Does not number any lines. Numbers only those lines containing the specified pat- tern. The full range of regular expressions is supported for pattern. The default for type is t. Uses delimiter1 and delimiter2 as the delimiters for the start of a logical page section. The default characters are : (backslash followed by a colon). You can specify either one or two characters after the -d option. If you want to use a backslash as a delimiter, enter two back- slashes (\). If you specify only one character, it is used as start of a logical page, and the end delimiter remains the default. Specifies which logical page footer lines to number. The types recognized are the same as in -b type. The default for type is n. Specifies which logical page header lines to number. The types recognized are the same as in -b type. The default for type is n. Increments logical page line numbers by number. The default is 1. Counts number blank lines as 1. You must use one or more of the "-ba", "-fa", and "-ha" options with this option for it to be effective. For example, -l3 will only number the third adjacent blank. The default is 1. Specifies format as the line numbering format. Recognized formats are as fol- lows: Left justified, leading zeroes are suppressed. Right justified, leading zeroes are suppressed (default). Right justified, leading zeroes are kept. Ignores logical page delimiters (does not restart numbering). Separates text from line numbers with the separator string. The default value of separator is a tab character. [Tru64 UNIX] If you enter -s without an argument, there is no separation between the line number and its text. Sets the initial logical page line number to number. Specifies number as the number of digits in the line number. The default value of number is 6. OPERANDS
The path name of a file in which the lines are to be numbered. If file is not specified, standard input is used. DESCRIPTION
The nl command reads file (standard input by default), numbers the lines in the input, and writes the numbered lines to standard output. In the output, nl numbers the lines on the left, according to the options you specify on the command line. The input text must be written in logical pages. Each logical page has a header, a body, and a footer section (sections can be empty). Unless you use the -p option, nl resets the line numbers at the start of each logical page. You can set line numbering options indepen- dently for the header, body, and footer sections (for example, no numbering of header and footer lines while numbering text lines only in the body). Signal the start of logical page sections with lines in file that contain nothing but the following delimiter characters (assuming the default delimiters--see the description of the -d option): Line Contents Start of ::: Header :: Body : Footer You can name only one file on the command line. You can list the options and the file name in any order. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To number only the nonblank lines, enter: nl chap1 This displays a numbered listing of chap1, numbering only the nonblank lines in the body sections. If chap1 contains no :: :, : :, or : delimiters, then the entire file is considered the body. To number all lines, enter: nl -ba chap1 This numbers all the lines in the body sections, including blank lines. This form of the nl command is adequate for most uses. To specify a different line number format, enter: nl -i10 -nrz -s:: -v10 -w4 chap1 This numbers the lines of chap1, starting with 10 (-v10) and counting by 10s (-i10). It displays four digits for each number (-w4), including leading zeroes (-nrz). The line numbers are separated from the text by two colons (-s::). For example, if chap1 contains the following text: A not-so-important note to remember: You can't kill time without injuring eternity. then the numbered listing is as follows: 0010::A not-so-important note to remember: 0020::You can't kill time without injuring eternity. Notice that the blank line was not numbered. To do this, use the -ba option as shown in Example 2. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of nl: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments and input files), the behavior of classes within regular expressions, and for deciding which characters are in character class graph. Determines the locale for the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MES- SAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: cat(1), pr(1) Standards: standards(5) nl(1)