Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Check EOF in shell script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check EOF in shell script Post 302128003 by awk on Friday 20th of July 2007 03:03:57 PM
Old 07-20-2007
to summarize -

You cannot change the transmittal side to send anything special

You don't have lsof and no plans to get it.

You think it "costs too much" [in what, processor time???] to check the filesize to see it is not changing. [Guess what a human operator will cost to check it]

The filename doesn't change to indicate completion.

Can't think of anything else

Assuming there is nothing special about the end of the file (sometimes the last record contains all 9's - that you could check for), you are out of luck.

Suggest the human intervention solution - sometimes that works wonders on what they won't do.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if the file DOES NOT have EOF

Hi, Please help me on this. how to check if the file DOES NOT have EOF ?? I am using ksh for this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BasavarajaKC
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check in unix shell script so that no one is able to run the script manually

I want to create an automated script which is called by another maually executed script. The condition is that the no one should be able to manually execute the automated script. The automated script can be on the same machine or it can be on a remote machine. Can any one suggest a check in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adi_bang76
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check my first shell script

I have written the below script to determine whether a string is palindrome or not ? But its not working, any help to debug it ? I am new to this forum but when I searched for my question, I found that many people refused to answer this question thinking that its Homework question, Therefore I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gridview
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find EOF character in a Shell ?

Hi, I'm need to determine if a file contains the EOF character, how can I do that in Shell scripting? Regards. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfortes
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check if empty files are created and delete them and run a shell script

I have a local linux machine in which the files are dumped by a remote ubuntu server. If the process in remote server has any problem then empty files are created in local machine. Is there any way using perl script to check if the empty files are being created and delete them and then run a shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hussa1n
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check EOF char in Unix. OR To check file has been received completely from a remote system

Advance Thanks. (1) I would like to know any unix/Linux command to check EOF char in a file. (2) Or Any way I can check a file has been reached completely at machine B from machine A. Note that machine A ftp/scp the file to machine B at unknown time. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle Shell script | here document `EOF' unclosed

Hi folks I m creating script which is give me below error. $ ./function.ksh ./function.ksh: here document `EOF' unclosed Inside the script is #!/bin/ksh export ORACLE_SID=OECDV1 export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0 export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH echo "sql is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tapia
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need EOF usage in shell scripting

Hi all, Can any one explain the usage of EOF in shell scripting?? Gone through some examples from google, but it is not clear... Examples are: 1. $ tr << EOF > abcd > efgh > iojk > EOF O/P is: ABCD EFGH IOJK 2. echo << EOF (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: divya bandipotu
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple if conditions and EOF in a shell script

I want to create an IF condition with multiple condition, in the statement below I want to add OR EOF, can any one please advise how to do. if } != $sample ] && ; then echo ..... fi code tags please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: analyst
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script to check if script itself is running

hi guys we've had nagios spewing false alarm (for the umpteenth time) and finally the customer had enough so they're starting to question nagios. we had the check interval increased from 5 minutes to 2 minutes, but that's just temporary solution. I'm thinking of implementing a script on the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
8 Replies
CHECK-ZONE-EXPIRATION(1p)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 CHECK-ZONE-EXPIRATION(1p)

NAME
check-zone-expiration SYNOPSIS
# check-zone-expiration dnssec-tools.org paypal.com dnssec-tools.org will expire in 26 days, 2 hours, 16 minutes, 36 seconds paypal.com will expire in 12 days, 17 hours, 7 minutes, 1 second # check-zone-expiration -m 1123200 dnssec-tools.org paypal.com paypal.com will expire in 12 days, 17 hours, 6 minutes, 22 seconds DESCRIPTION
The check-zone-exiration script reports how long until a zone will expire by querying for the zone's (top level) RRSIG and calculating how much time is left before the signatures will no longer be valid. It will then report how much time is left in human readable form. If the -m switch is provided with a time argument (in seconds), it will only print output for zones that have less than that time left. OPTIONS
-m STRING --minimum-reporting=STRING Minimum reporting time, or else be silent for the zone COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2012-2012 SPARTA, Inc. All rights reserved. See the COPYING file included with the DNSSEC-Tools package for details. AUTHOR
Wes Hardaker, hardaker@tislabs.com SEE ALSO
donuts(1) perl v5.14.2 2012-05-07 CHECK-ZONE-EXPIRATION(1p)