Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Getting current work directory in Command Prompt Post 302127959 by MeganP on Friday 20th of July 2007 11:33:41 AM
Old 07-20-2007
Getting current work directory in Command Prompt

How to get the current working directory as part of the command prompt? Every time I chage the folder, my command prompt path shoud change. I am using Korn Shell. Any help is greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using find command only in current directory

I am trying to use the find command to find files in the current directory that meet a certain date criteria. find . -type -f -mtime +2 However, the above also checks the directories below. I tried -prune, but that seems to ignore this directory completely. I read about using -path w/... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jliebling
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

current directory as part of the csh prompt

I would like my csh prompt to behave like the linux csh prompt setting done by linux command (set prompt="%n@%m %c]$ ") how do I do that? What I'm trying to do is that I would like to see what directory I'm in by looking at the prompt. I've figured out that %n is like $user, and %m is like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamesloh
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Current working directory in prompt

Can someone tell me how do i set my current working directory in my prompt? Note: I dont want to use env variable PWD and using `pwd` gives me only my home directoy. suggest a different way ? I use /bin/sh thanks!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yesmani
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Displaying the current working directory in prompt

Hi, I want that the prompt that is being displayed (i.e $ sign) should display always the current directory I am working in instead of that $ sign example: as we use PS1=patric and the prompt changes from $ to patric OR if we write the command PS1=`pwd` it will display the current... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: premjotsingh
5 Replies

5. AIX

"/" doesn't work on command prompt for searching commands last typed

When I use "/" to look for a particular command that I typed in the current session it says D02:-/home/user1/temp> /job ksh: /job: not found. D02:-/home/user1/temp> previously it used to fetch all the commands which had job in it.. for example subjob, endjob, joblist etc... may I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetzap
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I show my "current" directory as the KSH prompt?

Hi All, This is an embarrassingly simple question and couldn't think of "keywords" to search for the answer, but how do I change my UNIX/KSH prompt to show the machine name and my "current" but not "full" directory? For example: if the machine name is "machine" and I'm currently in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatguy
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command to look for current directory only

i have this find command on my script as: for i in `find $vdir -name "$vfile" -mtime +$pday` the problem with this code is that the sub-directories are included on the search. how do i restrict the search to confine only on the current directory and ignore the sub-directories. please advise.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question in MV command (will move work with 100% used directory)

Dear all, I am facing a issue in MV command, this move is done by our c program. We are moving the file to same directory so basically I think it will be a rename of the inode. So we might not useany extra space then why the move is failing. Does it require space to move the same size of file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete empty files from a directory entered in command prompt

My code to "Delete empty files from a directory entered in command promt" #/bin/sh echo "Enter directory" read gh for file in `ls $gh` do # to get the size of file a=$( ls -l file | awk ' {print $7} '); echo $a if then echo "removing file " rm file fi done (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adirajup
6 Replies

10. Linux

How to make this command work wihtout password prompt?

Hi, I am trying to run this command to connect to each server without being prompted for the password. How can I do this in Linux redhat 7.2: for HOST in $VIPS; do su - Myadminid -c "ssh -o ConnectTimeout=10 $HOST 'date; hostname; pkill -9 -f -u Myadminid xx00 ; ps -ef |grep Myadminid'" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
7 Replies
packf(1mh)																packf(1mh)

Name
       packf - compress a folder into a single file

Syntax
       packf [ +folder ] [ msgs ] [ -file name ] [ -help ]

Description
       Each  message in a folder is normally stored as a separate file.  The command takes all messages from the current folder and copies them to
       a single specified file.  Each message in the file is separated by four <CTRL/A>s and a newline.

You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument.  If you do not want all the messages in a	folder	to
       be packed into one file, you can specify a number of messages or a range of messages with message numbers.

The first message packed will become the current message.  If you specify a +folder argument, that folder will become the current folder.

When messages have been packed into a file using you can separate them into individual messages using the command.  See

Options
       -file name
		 Specifies  the  file  in which you want the message(s) to be stored.  If you specify an existing file then the specified messages
		 will be appended to the end of that file.  Otherwise, a new file will be created and the messages placed in it.  If  you  do  not
		 specify  a  filename,	attempts  to  place the messages in a file called in the current working directory.  If this file does not
		 exist, asks whether you want to create it.

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

The default settings for this command are:

+folder defaults to the current folder
	      msgs defaults to all
	      -file ./msgbox

Examples
       The first example shows all the messages in the folder being packed into a file called
       % packf +lrp -file planning

The next example shows how prompts you if you do not specify a -file option.  A file called is created by in your home directory, and  mes-
       sages 3 to 5 are packed into it:
       % packf +lrp 3-5
       Create file "/machine/disk/username/msgbox"? y

Profile Components
       Path:	      To determine the user's Mail directory
       Msg-Protect:   To set protections when creating a new file

Files
       $HOME/.mh_profile   The user profile.

See Also
       burst(1mh)

packf(1mh)