Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A few questions from a newbie(shell script) Post 302127692 by perk_bud on Thursday 19th of July 2007 05:24:23 AM
Old 07-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthus2002
Answer for question number 2,

you can save the variable by usning "tee" command or redirect options..

1. command | tee

2. 2>&1 ( redirect stdout and stderr )
So in my case the command is "dropdb" so will it be

"dropdb | tee"

But how do i store the outcome of the command in a var.

& i did not get the second option 2>&1 ( redirect stdout and stderr ) can u explain it to me with an example please

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A few newbie questions

Hi :) I just wanted to ask a few basic questions really. I'm telnetting to a remote host and I've finally found out that I'm using a csh shell. My questions are: 1. Is the somename@something, the user group logged in? 2. How do I change user? I'm really lost so I hope someone can help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellz
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

buncha questions from a newbie

Even though I have been logging in to a UNIX shell at school to complete school projects and write programs, but I had never really worked in UNIX environment. But a couple of weeks back I got hooked on to Solaris 9OE, read a book, a tutorial, a document provided on the Sun Microsystems website,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: init-5
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Questions

I am relatively new to both KSH and Unix scripting, and I would like some help getting my script up and running. I would like to have the script attempt various commands (tar, copy, gzip etc) and then write the results (error msg or success msg) to a temp file. I would then like an email sent to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
2 Replies

4. Linux

Questions of a newbie

I have been an apple customer for years now, and am not satisfied with the direction that they are going. So I just ordered my first PC notebook the other day. I have no desire to use windows, however with microsoft's hold on the market, I feel that I may have a hard time doing this. I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brycemb16
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LISP newbie's questions

Hello, I want to learn LISP, and I have a GNU/Linux OS. I first sought a LISP compiler/interpreter and was told that GNU Emacs has a LISP mode. But I couldn't get into LISP mode, nor I don't know how to use it when I get into LISP mode. How can I run LISP code under GNU Emacs? And if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rayne
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris Newbie questions...

Hello everyone, I am brand spanking new to both Solaris and Unix. I thought I would give it a go after buying a SB2500 off ebay for a few hundred dollars. I am having some issues that I am not sure how to correct, and I am wondering if I can get a few pointers? The first one is that my system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GeekMasterFlash
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl newbie questions!

Hi, So I started to learn perl a few days ago, and I have some problems... One of my problems... #!C:\Perl64\bin\perl.exe -w use LWP::Simple; print "Content-Type: Text/Plain\n\n"; sub pagelinks { return @all = get($_) =~ /href\s*=\s*"?(+)/gis; } @a =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: byte1918
5 Replies

8. AIX

Newbie Questions for AIX !!!

Hi Guys, I am new in this forum and new with AIX however not new with Power System. I have worked with iSeries for many years. Now supporting AIX on Power. Here are some basic questions I have. 1. I am using Putty to connect from my PC to the AIX boxes. Is there any other (better) program to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script newbie- how to generate service log from shell script

Hi, I am totally a newbie to any programming languages and I just started an entry level job in an IT company. One of my recent tasks is to create a script that is able to show the log file of linux service (i.e. ntpd service) lets say, if I run my script ./test.sh, the output should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiaogeji
3 Replies
TEE(2)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    TEE(2)

NAME
tee - duplicating pipe content SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <fcntl.h> ssize_t tee(int fd_in, int fd_out, size_t len, unsigned int flags); DESCRIPTION
tee() duplicates up to len bytes of data from the pipe referred to by the file descriptor fd_in to the pipe referred to by the file descriptor fd_out. It does not consume the data that is duplicated from fd_in; therefore, that data can be copied by a subsequent splice(2). flags is a series of modifier flags, which share the name space with splice(2) and vmsplice(2): SPLICE_F_MOVE Currently has no effect for tee(); see splice(2). SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK Do not block on I/O; see splice(2) for further details. SPLICE_F_MORE Currently has no effect for tee(), but may be implemented in the future; see splice(2). SPLICE_F_GIFT Unused for tee(); see vmsplice(2). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, tee() returns the number of bytes that were duplicated between the input and output. A return value of 0 means that there was no data to transfer, and it would not make sense to block, because there are no writers connected to the write end of the pipe referred to by fd_in. On error, tee() returns -1 and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
EINVAL fd_in or fd_out does not refer to a pipe; or fd_in and fd_out refer to the same pipe. ENOMEM Out of memory. VERSIONS
The tee() system call first appeared in Linux 2.6.17. CONFORMING TO
This system call is Linux-specific. NOTES
Conceptually, tee() copies the data between the two pipes. In reality no real data copying takes place though: under the covers, tee() assigns data in the output by merely grabbing a reference to the input. EXAMPLE
The following example implements a basic tee(1) program using the tee() system call. #define _GNU_SOURCE #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <errno.h> #include <limits.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { int fd; int len, slen; if (argc != 2) { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <file> ", argv[0]); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } fd = open(argv[1], O_WRONLY | O_CREAT | O_TRUNC, 0644); if (fd == -1) { perror("open"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } do { /* * tee stdin to stdout. */ len = tee(STDIN_FILENO, STDOUT_FILENO, INT_MAX, SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK); if (len < 0) { if (errno == EAGAIN) continue; perror("tee"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } else if (len == 0) break; /* * Consume stdin by splicing it to a file. */ while (len > 0) { slen = splice(STDIN_FILENO, NULL, fd, NULL, len, SPLICE_F_MOVE); if (slen < 0) { perror("splice"); break; } len -= slen; } } while (1); close(fd); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
splice(2), vmsplice(2), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2009-09-15 TEE(2)