Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Determining directory path
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Determining directory path Post 302127587 by cwalsek on Wednesday 18th of July 2007 05:15:35 PM
Old 07-18-2007
Determining directory path

Hello,

I have a script where I get the full directory path of the script being executed:

BASE=$0
echo "BASE:" $BASE

The output looks like this:
BASE: /webapps/appsdev/ACURA/rlz/oses3.sh

I'd like to truncate the shell name, leaving just the directory path. The directory path can be any number of levels deep. I think I need to truncate everything right of the last slash in the string.

Any ideas? I'm new at this.

-Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining absolute PATH within KSH script

Hey everyone, I'd like to determine the absolute path of where a script resides from within the same script. For example, I have a script - /tmp/myscript. Regardless of how that script is call - '/tmp/myscript', 'cd /tmp;./myscript', '. /tmp/myscript' - I'd like to be able to determine - from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsatch
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

determining actual directory of a symlinked directory

Hello all, I have files at /var/dir1/dir2/fil1.log etc.,. dir2 is symlinked to /export/xxx/dir3 I am trying to monitor the disk space of the mount where these log files are present. How do I determine dynamically the actual directory of the log files and corresponding mount when I use df... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get directory name from its path?

If I the path to a directory, what command can I use to return the actual name of that directory. test=`pwd`/folder1 > $test folder1 I'd rather avoid anything with regular expressions. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ordano
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining whether given string is path or not

I have an issue while determing whether given string is unix path or not There is a text file which is normally a report in that at some place we have unix path as shown below /opt/smart/dev/eur/sources/sqr and not unix path as shown below Threshold Year/Month/Ref/ActLine/OUC Is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically determining directory path for scripts and programs

I have some C++ code in the following directory structure /home/chrisd/tatsh/trunk/hstmy/ ├── baseLib ├── bin │ ├── awk │ ├── bash │ ├── diag │ ├── ksh │ │ └── TAG201011 │ ├── old │ ├── perl │ ├── prog │ ├── py │ └── tcsh ├── docs ├── fortran ├── others... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
packingrules(4) 						   File Formats 						   packingrules(4)

NAME
packingrules - packing rules file for cachefs and filesync SYNOPSIS
$HOME/.packingrules DESCRIPTION
$HOME/.packingrules is a packing rules file for filesync and cachefspack. $HOME/.packingrules contains a list of directories and files that are to be packed and synchronized. It also contains a list of directories and files that are to be specifically excluded from pack- ing and synchronization. See filesync(1) and cachefspack(1M). The $HOME/.packingrules file is automatically created if users invoke filesync with filename arguments. By using filesync options, users can augment the packing rules in $HOME/.packingrules. Many users choose to manually create the packing rules file and edit it by hand. Users can edit $HOME/.packingrules (using any editor) to permanently change the $HOME/.packingrules file, or to gain access to more powerful options that are not available from the command line (such as IGNORE commands). It is much easier to enter complex wildcard expressions by editing the $HOME/.packingrules file. Blank lines and lines that begin with a pound sign (`#') are ignored. Any line can be continued by placing a backslash (`') immediately before the NEWLINE. All other lines in the $HOME/.packingrules file have one of the following formats: PACKINGRULES major. minor. This line is not actually required, but it should be the first line of every packing rules file. This line identifies the packing rules file for the file(1) command and specifies a format version number. The current version number is 1.1. See file(1). BASE directory-1 [directory-2] This line identifies a directory (or pair of directories) under which files should be packed and synchro- nized. At least one directory name must be specified. For rules that are to be used by filesync a second directory name (where the copies are to be kept) must also be specified. The arguments must be fully quali- fied path names, and may include environment variables. LIST name ... This line enumerates a list of files and sub-directories (beneath the current BASE) that are to be kept synchronized. This specification is recursive, in that specifying the name of a directory automatically includes all files and subdirectories it contains. Regular expressions (as described in glob and gmatch) are permitted. See glob(1) and gmatch(3GEN). IGNORE name ... This line enumerates a list of files that are not to be kept synchronized. Regular expressions (using glob and gmatch) are permitted. There are important differences between the arguments to LIST and IGNORE statements. The arguments to a LIST statement can contain slashes and are interpreted as file names relative to the BASE directories. The arguments to an IGNORE statement are simpler names or expressions that cannot contain slashes. An IGNORE statement will not override a LIST statement. IGNORE statements only exclude files that are found beneath LISTed directories. If the first name argument to a LIST statement begins with an exclamation point (`!'), the remainder of the statement will be executed as a command. The command will be run in the current BASE directory. The output of the command will be treated as a list of newline separated file names to be packed/synchronized. The resulting file names will be interpreted relative to the enclosing BASE directory. If the first name argument to an IGNORE statement begins with an exclamation point (`!'), the remainder of the statement will be executed as a command. The command will be run in the current BASE directory. The command will be expected to figure out which names should not be synchronized. The output of the command will be treated as a list of newline separated file names that should be excluded from the packing and synchronization list. Commands will be broken into distinct arguments and run directly with sh -c. Blanks can be embedded in an argument by escaping them with a backslash (`') or enclosing the argument in double quotes (` " '). Double quotes can be passed in arguments by escaping the double quotes with a backslash (`'). LIST lines only apply to the BASE statement that precedes them. IGNORE lines can appear before any BASE statement (in which case they apply to all BASEs) or after a BASE statement (in which case they only apply to the BASE that precedes them). Any number of these statements can occur in any combination. The order is not important. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample $HOME.packingrules file. The use of these statements is illustrated in the following $HOME.packingrules file. # # junk files, not worth copying # IGNORE core *.o *.bak *% # # most of the stuff I want to keep in sync is in my $HOME # BASE /net/bigserver/export/home/myname $HOME # everything in my work sub-directory should be maintained LIST work # a few of my favorite mail boxes should be replicated LIST m/incoming LIST m/action LIST m/pending # # I like to carry around a couple of project directories # but skip all the postscript output # BASE /net/bigserver/export/projects $HOME/projects LIST poindexter epiphany IGNORE *.ps # # the foonly package should always be kept on every machine # BASE /net/bigserver/opt/foonly /opt/foonly LIST !cat .packinglist # # and the latest executables for the standard build environment # BASE /net/bigserver/export/buildenv $HOME/buildenv LIST !find . -type f -a -perm -111 -a -print SEE ALSO
file(1), filesync(1), cachefspack(1M) SunOS 5.10 23 Dec 1996 packingrules(4)