Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with AWK -- quick question Post 302127571 by ilan on Wednesday 18th of July 2007 04:11:49 PM
Old 07-18-2007
How about using this...

uname -n | awk '{ FS = "." ; print $1 }' | cut -d '-' -f2

or

uname -n | cut -d '.' -f1| cut -d '-' -f2

the above will give you the o/p svsi20
Hope your objective will be met!

-ilan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Quick Question

Wat is the difference between the cp mv ln etc in /usr/sbin/static and cp mv ln functions in /usr/bin (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick Question

Hello There! I am trying to write this SIMPLE script in Bourne Shell but I keep on getting syntax errors. Can you see what I am doing wrong? I've done this before but I don't see the difference. I am simply trying to take the day of the week from our system and when the teachers sign on I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: catbad
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick Question

Hi, I am new to UNIX, and am learning from this tutorial : http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/index.html It keeps telling me to files downloaded from the internet (like .txt files) to the directory, and I dont know how to. How do I add .txt files to my directory? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: IAMTHEEVILBEAN
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick question

Hi, Is there a simple way, using ksh, to find the byte position in a file that a stated character appears? Many thanks Helen (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

quick question

I am using sed to find a pattern in a line and then I want to retain the pattern + the rest of the line. How is this possible? ie: line is: 14158 05-15-08 20:00 123-1234-A21/deliverable/dhm.a search for 123-1234-A21 ie: echo $line | sed 's/.*\(\{3\}-\{4\}-\{3\}\{5\}\).*/\1/' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phreezr
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick question

When I have a file like this: 0084AF aj-123-a NAME Ajay NAME Kumar Engineer 015ED6 ck-345-c 020B25 ef-456-e 027458 pq-890-p NAME Peter NAME Salob Doctor 0318F0 xy-123-x NAME Xavier Arul NAME Yesu Supervisor 0344CA de-456-d where - The first NAME is followed by... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajay41aj
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick sed/awk question

Hi fellow linux-ers, I have a quick question for you. I have the following text, which I would like to modify: 10 121E(121) 16 Jan 34S 132E 24 Feb 42 176E(176) 18 Sep 21S 164E 25 May 15 171W(-171) 09 Jul How can I do the following 2 modifications using sed and/or awk? 1. in 1st column,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucshi09
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Help: quick and easy question may be: How to use &&

Hi Guru's. I am trying to use to check if $5 is greater than 80 & if not 100, then to print $0 : awk '{ if ($5>80) && if ($5 != 100) print $0} But getting error: >bdf1|sed 's/%//g'|awk '{ if ($5>80) && if ($5 != 100) print $0}' syntax error The source line is 1. The error... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk :quick question removing empty line.

How to write in awk to remove lines starting with "#" and then process the file: This is not working: cat file|awk '{if ($0 ~ /^#/) $0="";print NF>0}' When I just give cat file|awk '{if ($0 ~ /^#/) $0="";print }' it prints the blank lines . I don't wnat the blank lines along with the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick awk question

gawk 'BEGIN{count=0} /^Jan 5 04:33/,0 && /fail/ && /09x83377/ { count++ } END { print count }' /var/log/syslog what is wrong with this code? i want to search the strings "fail" and "09x83377" from all entries. im grabbing all entries in the log starting from Jan 5 04:33 to the end of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies
UNAME(1)								FSF								  UNAME(1)

NAME
uname - print system information SYNOPSIS
uname [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Print certain system information. With no OPTION, same as -s. -a, --all print all information, in the following order: -s, --kernel-name print the kernel name -n, --nodename print the network node hostname -r, --kernel-release print the kernel release -v, --kernel-version print the kernel version -m, --machine print the machine hardware name -p, --processor print the processor type -i, --hardware-platform print the hardware platform -o, --operating-system print the operating system --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for uname is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and uname programs are properly installed at your site, the command info uname should give you access to the complete manual. uname (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 UNAME(1)