Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Time taken by a child process? Post 302127466 by SharmaPCS on Wednesday 18th of July 2007 06:14:46 AM
Old 07-18-2007
How could you say there is difference?

Hi...

First read time stamp just before spawning the child process.
and read the time stamp in the child process(not in parent before wait or some other places), Calculate the difference(I hope you can do it simply)...

One thing... How can you say... you are getting different results?
(There will be difference between different runnings of the program. It is dependant on the current system image... like load on system, physical memory available on the system at that time, VM present at that time etc.)

I hope you understood what is happening and what to do... Smilie

Happy programming...
Chandu.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

child process hang up, help!!!

Hi all, There is a pearent process with 3 child processes, they work perfect. Pearent process read from file and separate data by blocks and send it to child processes, after that pearent read the result of work and just print it out to standart output. All interprocess communication maded through... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prodigal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about child process

hello every one, i want to know more about creation of child process. UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES child process is created? WHAT ARE THE PREREQUISITES for a child process to be created? let us say we have a prog.c, prog.obj(compiled.c),.a\.out files. is any child PROCESS CREATED... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doubt in child process

fork() system is used to create a child a process.lets consider fork() echo krace will print krace twice .if i give it in loop it will print krace 2 power n time..in this case all child and parent process executes same process ...but i want to create a four different child process to execute four... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kracekumar
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the parent process to wait for the child process

Hi All, I have two ksh script. 1st script calls the 2nd script and the second script calls an 'C' program. I want 1st script to wait until the 'C' program completes. I cant able to get the process id for the 'C' program (child process) to make the 1st script to wait for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sennidurai
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Child Process Name

Hi , I want to find out the child process name given its PID. I have used the ps command but it displays the parent process name against child PID. Is there any way to find out name of child program executing under any parent program? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sneha_heda
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH/Bash] Starting a parent process from a child process?

Hey all, I need to launch a script from within 2 other scripts that can run independently of the two parent scripts... Im having a hard time doing this, if anyone knows how please let me know. More detail. ScriptA (bash), ScriptB (ksh), ScriptC (bash) ScriptA, launches ScriptB ScirptB,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to get child process for a process

!/bin/sh pid=$(ps -Aj | grep MSTRSvr | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}') sid=$(ps -Aj | grep MSTRSvr | grep -v grep | awk '{print $3}') ps -s "$sid" I am not able to get the desired output it says process list error if i use watch ps -s "$sid" it considers only the first session id (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: schippada
5 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

signal between parent process and child process

Hello, everyone. Here's a program: pid_t pid = fork(); if (0 == pid) // child process { execvp ...; } I send a signal (such as SIGINT) to the parent process, the child process receive the signal as well as the parent process. However I don't want to child process to receive the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackliang
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting child process id for a given PID

HI Am trying to get child process id for a PID using ksh.. ps -ef | grep xntpd root 3342472 2228308 0 12:17:40 - 0:00 /usr/sbin/xntpd root 4522024 6488316 0 12:18:56 pts/0 0:00 grep xntpd root 6291614 3342472 0 12:17:40 - 0:00 /usr/sbin/xntpd Here now i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
1 Replies
condor_wait(1)						      General Commands Manual						    condor_wait(1)

Name
       condor_wait Wait - for jobs to finish

Synopsis
       condor_wait [-help -version]

condor_wait[-debug] [-wait seconds] [-num number-of-jobs] log-file[job ID]

Description
       condor_waitwatches  a  user  log file (created with the logcommand within a submit description file) and returns when one or more jobs from
       the log have completed or aborted.

Because condor_waitexpects to find at least one job submitted event in the log file, at least one job must have been successfully submitted
       with condor_submitbefore condor_waitis executed.

condor_waitwill wait forever for jobs to finish, unless a shorter wait time is specified.

Options
       -help

Display usage information

-version

Display version information

-debug

Show extra debugging information.

-wait seconds

Wait no more than the integer number of seconds. The default is unlimited time.

-num number-of-jobs

Wait for the integer number-of-jobsjobs to end. The default is all jobs in the log file.

log file

The name of the log file to watch for information about the job.

job ID

A  specific job or set of jobs to watch. If the job IDis only the job ClassAd attribute  ClusterId , then condor_wait waits for all jobs
	  with the given  ClusterId . If the job IDis a pair of the job ClassAd attributes, given by  ClusterId . ProcId , then condor_wait  waits
	  for  the specific job with this job ID. If this option is not specified, all jobs that exist in the log file when condor_wait is invoked
	  will be watched.

General Remarks
       condor_waitis an inexpensive way to test or wait for the completion of a job or a whole cluster, if you are trying to get a process outside
       of Condor to synchronize with a job or set of jobs.

It can also be used to wait for the completion of a limited subset of jobs, via the -numoption.

Examples
       condor_wait  logfile

This command waits for all jobs that exist in  logfile to complete.

condor_wait  logfile 40

This command waits for all jobs that exist in  logfile with a job ClassAd attribute  ClusterId of 40 to complete.

condor_wait  -num 2 logfile

This command waits for any two jobs that exist in  logfile to complete.

condor_wait  logfile 40.1

This command waits for job 40.1 that exists in  logfile to complete.

condor_wait  -wait 3600 logfile 40.1

This waits for job 40.1 to complete by watching	logfile , but it will not wait more than one hour (3600 seconds).

Exit Status
       condor_waitexits  with  0  if and only if the specified job or jobs have completed or aborted. condor_waitreturns 1 if unrecoverable errors
       occur, such as a missing log file, if the job does not exist in the log file, or the user-specified waiting time has expired.

Author
       Condor Team, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Copyright
       Copyright (C) 1990-2012 Condor Team, Computer Sciences Department, University of  Wisconsin-Madison,  Madison,  WI.  All  Rights  Reserved.
       Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

See the Condor Version 7.8.2 Manualor http://www.condorproject.org/licensefor additional notices. condor-admin@cs.wisc.edu

September 2012						    condor_wait(1)