Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting tables of row data into columns of tables Post 302127199 by justthisguy on Monday 16th of July 2007 03:52:37 PM
Old 07-16-2007
Thank y'all! drl, I largely used your example, thank you much for taking the time!

::beer:: >> drl

I've pasted a commented version of the guts of my solution, should anyone else have the same or similar questions.

It's rough edged (I need to sit down and work on handling the indenting of the header in cases other than 3 element data sets), but functional.

In the scenario I posted above, this script (let's name it 'massagetocolumn.sh') would be called as follows:

./massagetocolumn.sh data.file test_data_

Chris Larson
JustThisGuy

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Exit if any variable is not set.
set -o nounset

# Input file:
DATA_FILE=${1}
echo "Data File: "$DATA_FILE

# Dataset Header Prefix.
HEADER_PREFIX=${2}
echo "Header Prefix: "$HEADER_PREFIX

# Make columns from space-delimited file.
# -e indicates a command, several of which can be included in one
# sed call. s indicates the string to search for, which is prefixed
# by '/'. The replacement string is prefixed by the second '/' and
# closed with a final '/'.
# Following the list of commands is the input file.
# ' > $DATA_FILE.temp" directs the output to an output file,
# in this case with '.temp' added to the filename.
# This file is removed when the script finishes. In this
# script, the 's/[[ ]]*/\t/' is finding all spaces and replacing them
# with TAB (\t). The 's/$HEADER_PREFIX\S*/&\t\t/' is finding all strings beginning
# with '$HEADER_PREFIX' and appending two tabs after each occurrence.
# Oh, and the 'g' tells sed to replace all occurrences, not just the first occurrence
# per line, which is the default behavior.
sed -e 's/[[ ]]*/\t/g' -e 's/$HEADER_PREFIX\S*/&\t\t/' $DATA_FILE > $DATA_FILE.temp

# Cut datasets from input file into separate temporary files, named as xx##.
# The '-k' option leaves the temp files in place in the case of an error.
# The '-s' option silences the default byte counts that csplit offers.
# The '-z' option deletes any output files that are empty.
# csplit cuts the data sets based on the search string, in this case:
# whatever you put as the second argument to the script.
csplit -k -s -z $DATA_FILE.temp /^$HEADER_PREFIX/ "{*}"

# Paste temporary files into output, piped through 'column' to create columns.
# NOTE: there is a TAB inside -s" ".
# The 'paste' command pastes multiple files into one, with the contents of all files side by side.
paste xx* | column -s"      " -t > $DATA_FILE.out

#Remove the temporary files.
rm xx*
rm $DATA_FILE.temp

# Exit
exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract data from html tables

hi i need to use unix to extract data from several rows of a table coded in html. I know that rows within a table have the tags <tr> </tr> and so i thought that my first step should be to to delete all of the other html code which is not contained within these tags. i could then use this method... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Streetrcr
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from multiple tables from Oracle DB

Hi , I want to read the data from 9 tables in oracle DB into 9 different files in the same connection instance (session). I am able to get data from one table to one file with below code : X=`sqlplus -s user/pwd@DB <<eof select col1 from table1; EXIT; eof` echo $X>myfile Can anyone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: net
2 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Extracting data from tables and storing in a file

Hi I am trying to write a script to extract information from a database and save that info to a csv file. I am using sql, an oracle database I have no idea how to even begin this. Can somebody please help. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for comparing data of tables

Hi, I have two databases with same tables on different servers.I need to check the data content in each table and if something is missing, should print that. I have a tool which takes the snapshot the table structure,index so on and compares with the other server tables snapshot. Now i need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nessj
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help converting row data to columns

I've been trying to figure this out for a while but I'm completely stumped. I have files with data in rows and I need to convert the data to columns. Each record contains four rows with a "field name: value" pair. I would like to convert it to four columns with the field names as column headers... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: happy_ee
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from tables......

HOw to extracts data from tables in database. Merges them into one output file. This output file is loaded into another tables in database. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nari.bommi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting input data from 2 tables

Hello All, I have one table contains: Table1: 5 10 30 40 60 80 ... Table 2: 10 20 60 80 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append data by looking up 2 tables for multiple files

I want to lookup values from two different tables based on common columns and append. The trick is the column to be looked up is not fixed and varies , so it has to be detected from the header. How can I achieve this at once, for multiple data files, but lookup tables fixed. The two lookup... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UPDATE COmmand post comparing 2 columns in 2 mysql tables

my queryis : select distinct m.name, item_count, item from master m join client p on m.name=p.name where item_count = 1 and item > 1; But how should I update them? i used update statetment : Update from client Set item =1 where m.name=p.name and item_count=1 AND item>1 Is this wrong? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siya@
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script writing for tables with binary data

Hi There, I'm trying to write a simple script that will email me when we have an application job in a certain status that needs human intervention. I've used this script for other tables and it works great. However, this one gives me the warning that there is binary data so it might not. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Colel2
2 Replies
DELETE(7)							   SQL Commands 							 DELETE(7)

NAME
DELETE - delete rows of a table SYNOPSIS
DELETE FROM [ ONLY ] table [ [ AS ] alias ] [ USING usinglist ] [ WHERE condition | WHERE CURRENT OF cursor_name ] [ RETURNING * | output_expression [ [ AS ] output_name ] [, ...] ] DESCRIPTION
DELETE deletes rows that satisfy the WHERE clause from the specified table. If the WHERE clause is absent, the effect is to delete all rows in the table. The result is a valid, but empty table. Tip: TRUNCATE [truncate(7)] is a PostgreSQL extension that provides a faster mechanism to remove all rows from a table. By default, DELETE will delete rows in the specified table and all its child tables. If you wish to delete only from the specific table mentioned, you must use the ONLY clause. There are two ways to delete rows in a table using information contained in other tables in the database: using sub-selects, or specifying additional tables in the USING clause. Which technique is more appropriate depends on the specific circumstances. The optional RETURNING clause causes DELETE to compute and return value(s) based on each row actually deleted. Any expression using the table's columns, and/or columns of other tables mentioned in USING, can be computed. The syntax of the RETURNING list is identical to that of the output list of SELECT. You must have the DELETE privilege on the table to delete from it, as well as the SELECT privilege for any table in the USING clause or whose values are read in the condition. PARAMETERS
ONLY If specified, delete rows from the named table only. When not specified, any tables inheriting from the named table are also pro- cessed. table The name (optionally schema-qualified) of an existing table. alias A substitute name for the target table. When an alias is provided, it completely hides the actual name of the table. For example, given DELETE FROM foo AS f, the remainder of the DELETE statement must refer to this table as f not foo. usinglist A list of table expressions, allowing columns from other tables to appear in the WHERE condition. This is similar to the list of tables that can be specified in the FROM Clause [select(7)] of a SELECT statement; for example, an alias for the table name can be specified. Do not repeat the target table in the usinglist, unless you wish to set up a self-join. condition An expression that returns a value of type boolean. Only rows for which this expression returns true will be deleted. cursor_name The name of the cursor to use in a WHERE CURRENT OF condition. The row to be deleted is the one most recently fetched from this cur- sor. The cursor must be a non-grouping query on the DELETE's target table. Note that WHERE CURRENT OF cannot be specified together with a Boolean condition. See DECLARE [declare(7)] for more information about using cursors with WHERE CURRENT OF. output_expression An expression to be computed and returned by the DELETE command after each row is deleted. The expression can use any column names of the table or table(s) listed in USING. Write * to return all columns. output_name A name to use for a returned column. OUTPUTS
On successful completion, a DELETE command returns a command tag of the form DELETE count The count is the number of rows deleted. If count is 0, no rows matched the condition (this is not considered an error). If the DELETE command contains a RETURNING clause, the result will be similar to that of a SELECT statement containing the columns and val- ues defined in the RETURNING list, computed over the row(s) deleted by the command. NOTES
PostgreSQL lets you reference columns of other tables in the WHERE condition by specifying the other tables in the USING clause. For exam- ple, to delete all films produced by a given producer, one can do: DELETE FROM films USING producers WHERE producer_id = producers.id AND producers.name = 'foo'; What is essentially happening here is a join between films and producers, with all successfully joined films rows being marked for dele- tion. This syntax is not standard. A more standard way to do it is: DELETE FROM films WHERE producer_id IN (SELECT id FROM producers WHERE name = 'foo'); In some cases the join style is easier to write or faster to execute than the sub-select style. EXAMPLES
Delete all films but musicals: DELETE FROM films WHERE kind <> 'Musical'; Clear the table films: DELETE FROM films; Delete completed tasks, returning full details of the deleted rows: DELETE FROM tasks WHERE status = 'DONE' RETURNING *; Delete the row of tasks on which the cursor c_tasks is currently positioned: DELETE FROM tasks WHERE CURRENT OF c_tasks; COMPATIBILITY
This command conforms to the SQL standard, except that the USING and RETURNING clauses are PostgreSQL extensions. SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 DELETE(7)