Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Beginner Questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Beginner Questions Post 302127102 by jgt on Monday 16th of July 2007 07:53:46 AM
Old 07-16-2007
When Compaq sold Proliant servers in the 1994-1999 time frame, they included CD's for all of the different server operating systems. The smart start CD contains utilities for Compaq servers, and a menu driven install guide for each of the operating systems.
However, you must have an installation key (serial number, and activation key) in order to complete the installation, or you can only run it as a 60 day demo.
If you don't have a Proliant, then the smartstart CD is useless.
The other CD's may or may not install on non Compaq hardware.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Beginner C

Anyone know where I can get started in C++ programming in unix? Any good free tutorials or websites to start at? I am okay in unix scripting but have never done c programming of any sort... What are the main advantages of using C++ ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Absolute Beginner Questions

... before you role your eyes, I picked up my first Unix book 3 days ago! As such, I have a few quick questions that I'm sure are super easy for everyone out there but me! Forgive me if the terminology I use is wrong ... I'm accessing a remote Unix server, I can make my way around directories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey_tomatoes
2 Replies

3. Linux

Beginner questions about versions and installing

1. I have never used or dealt with unix, linux, or any variation thereof, and want to. My biggest problem is that all the versions I've looked at want you to install from a CD or DVD, but I'm wanting to put it onto an Asus eeepc, which has no such drive. How would I go about installing on it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lemming
4 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Beginner Questions.

This is the Test_Data.snp file: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Problem Set: Before you get started working with these challenges, be aware that the first challenge is reformatting the test data... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlay2
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner - What Should I Do First?

Hi people.... I have just started to learn unix.I want to know which version of Unix to install plus how to install it.I need to practise and make myself aware of how unix works.My thread is from an educational point of view.Also please feel free to give your suggestions as I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.kanade1983
3 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

7. AIX

Beginner's questions about AIX (6.1)

Hello, For some time I have intellistation 9111-285 and I installed AIX 6.1 on it. As a complete beginner I have 2 questions in general about AIX and two specific: 1. is the SMS (system management services) part of AIX? As I noticed when I had Yellowdog Linux installed they weren't available?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenashkov
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

beginner scripting questions User variables

If there's anywhere to look this up, it would be just as helpful. I googled and really couldn't find anything relative to this. ok... General Variables 1) When creating a script I made a file "prog1.sh" does it matter if the end is .sh or is this what has to be done like prog.bash or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: austing5
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Beginner's questions] Filename Validation & Parsing

Hi !! I'm rather new both to the UNIX and scripting worlds, and I'm learning the ropes of scripting. Having said this, please excuse me if you notice certain basic errors. I'm working on a script that implements .jar and .war files for a WAS environment and I need to perform certain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: levaldez
4 Replies
TL(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     TL(4)

NAME
tl -- Texas Instruments ThunderLAN Ethernet device driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device miibus device tl Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_tl_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The tl driver provides support for PCI Ethernet adapters based on the Texas Instruments ThunderLAN Ethernet controller chip. The ThunderLAN controller has a standard MII interface that supports up to 32 physical interface devices (PHYs). It also has a built-in 10baseT PHY hardwired at MII address 31, which may be used in some 10Mbps-only hardware configurations. In 100Mbps configurations, a National Semiconductor DP83840A or other MII-compliant PHY may be attached to the ThunderLAN's MII bus. If a DP83840A or equivalent is available, the ThunderLAN chip can operate at either 100Mbps or 10Mbps in either half-duplex or full-duplex modes. The ThunderLAN's built-in PHY and the DP83840A also support autonegotiation. The tl driver supports the following media types: autoselect Enable autoselection of the media type and options. Note that this option is only available on those PHYs that support autonegotiation. Also, the PHY will not advertise those modes that have been explicitly disabled using the following media options. 10baseT/UTP Set 10Mbps operation 100baseTX Set 100Mbps (Fast Ethernet) operation 10base5/AUI Enable AUI/BNC interface (useful only with the built-in PHY). The tl driver supports the following media options: full-duplex Force full duplex operation half-duplex Force half duplex operation. hw-loopback Enable hardware loopback mode. Note that the 100baseTX media type is only available if supported by the PHY. For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8). HARDWARE
The tl driver supports Texas Instruments ThunderLAN based Ethernet and Fast Ethernet adapters including a large number of Compaq PCI Ethernet adapters. Also supported are: o Olicom OC-2135/2138 10/100 TX UTP adapter o Olicom OC-2325/OC-2326 10/100 TX UTP adapter o Racore 8148 10baseT/100baseTX/100baseFX adapter o Racore 8165 10/100baseTX adapter The tl driver also supports the built-in Ethernet adapters of various Compaq Prosignia servers and Compaq Deskpro desktop machines including: o Compaq Netelligent 10 o Compaq Netelligent 10 T PCI UTP/Coax o Compaq Netelligent 10/100 o Compaq Netelligent 10/100 Dual-Port o Compaq Netelligent 10/100 Proliant o Compaq Netelligent 10/100 TX Embedded UTP o Compaq Netelligent 10/100 TX UTP o Compaq NetFlex 3P o Compaq NetFlex 3P Integrated o Compaq NetFlex 3P w/BNC DIAGNOSTICS
tl%d: couldn't map memory A fatal initialization error has occurred. tl%d: couldn't map interrupt A fatal initialization error has occurred. tl%d: device timeout The device has stopped responding to the network, or there is a problem with the network connection (cable). tl%d: no memory for rx list The driver failed to allocate an mbuf for the receiver ring. tl%d: no memory for tx list The driver failed to allocate an mbuf for the transmitter ring when allocating a pad buffer or collapsing an mbuf chain into a cluster. SEE ALSO
arp(4), miibus(4), netintro(4), ng_ether(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The tl device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 2.2. AUTHORS
The tl driver was written by Bill Paul <wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu>. BSD
July 16, 2005 BSD