Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FTPing from XP to Solaris
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers FTPing from XP to Solaris Post 302126510 by porter on Wednesday 11th of July 2007 05:23:07 PM
Old 07-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtferreira
I type "ifconfig hme0 10.0.0.5" in a shell window (as administrator) on the Sun and try to connect to the Sun by FTPing to it via the PC.
Did you plumb the interface first?

Does ifconfig report the interface as up and happy?

Does ipconfig report the interface up on the PC?

Are there flashing lights next to the PC's or Suns network connection?

Can you ping from the PC first?

Is 'ftpd' configured in /etc/inetd.conf?

is 'inetd' actually running?

On the Sun box can you do 'ftp 127.0.0.1'?

Is on the client returning immediately or after a reasonable timeout

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTPing backup files to another server

I am running a hot backup of my database every night within our cronjob. Recently I got burned because the tape which holds my backups became corrupt. I am setting up another Sun box to hold my backups as well as writing them to tape. I know dumb error on my part. My question is what will I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredlucas3
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTPing over COM port ???

Hello. Can someone please help, or give me any advice. The company I work for has a unix machine and works over the com port rather than IP. We need to retrieve some files from it onto another unix machine and we are trying to get an ftp program to work, does anyone know any ftp programs that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: badge
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ftping through unix script

Hi all, I am trying to write a script to connect to remote host and ftp some files there. The problem i am facing is,I dont know how to specify username and password for remote host through scripting. and even if i am able to connect to remote host,then how should i execute commands like mput... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiv@jad
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in ftping script

Hi all , Can u please help me in this. I tried to just login server through the below script SERVER="Server_NAME" USER="i am user" PASSWD="mypassword" ftp -in $SERVER<<EOF user $USER $PASSWD mkdir Chanakya #To create directory with my name in $HOME ls > list put list bye... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftping a file based in the size

Hi, I want to connect to a remote machine using FTP, check for the size of a file there. If it is 0 bytes, then there is no need to ftp else i have to ftp the file. Any help will be highly appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas.rao11
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing files after ftping

Hi All, I'm trying to write script to ftp some files and then need to remove these files from server. Is there any way to keep the condition that the file should be removed only after successfully transfered to the destinatino server? If in case, the file isn't been transferd, it should not be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: im_new
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove junk (^Ò) character while FTPing

Hi All, I have been trying to FTP some data files from Windows directory to a UNIX server. The txt file in the windows contails the following data: "111~XYZ~1~Contact person’s phone number~COMMENTS~~~~" but the same line is appearing as "111~XYZ~1~Contact person^Òs phone number~COMMENTS~~~~"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkumbhakarna
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size limit for FTPing file

Is there any size limit for FTPing file from one unix system to another? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: swarup2008
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftping a Zip file

i want to sftp a .zip file.when i am doing get abc.zip thenabc.zip is getting copied to my home folder. but on clicking abc.zip on my home folder to open it i am getting error message as "Unable to unarchive abc.zip into <homefolder> name" How to sftp the Zip file Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bmrout007
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl error file ftping

I am getting error while ftping the files to the particular destination. Source code $ftp->login() or die "not log on to destination server $server "; $ftp->cwd("$destdir") or die "\ not able to change directory to $destdir on $server ****\n"; Output: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
1 Replies
REDIR(1)						      General Commands Manual							  REDIR(1)

NAME
redir - redirect tcp connections SYNOPSIS
redir [--laddr=incoming.ip.address] [--caddr=host] [--debug] [--syslog] [--name=str] [--timeout=n] [--bind_addr=my.other.ip.address] [--ftp=type] [--transproxy] [--connect=host:port] --lport=port --cport=port [--bufsize=n] [--max_bandwidth=n] [--random_wait=n] [--wait_in_out=n] redir --inetd [--caddr=host] [--debug] [--syslog] [--name=str] [--timeout=n] [--ftp=type] [--transproxy] [--connect=host:port] --cport=port [--bufsize=n] [--max_bandwidth=n] [--random_wait=n] [--wait_in_out=n] DESCRIPTION
Redir redirects tcp connections coming in to a local port to a specified address/port combination. It may be run either from inetd or as a standalone daemon. Depending on how redir was compiled, not all options may be available. OPTIONS
--lport Specifies port to listen for connections on (when not running from inetd) --laddr IP address to bind to when listening for connections (when not running from inetd) --cport Specifies port to connect to. --caddr Specifies remote host to connect to. (localhost if omitted) --inetd Run as a process started from inetd, with the connection passed as stdin and stdout on startup. --debug Write debug output to stderr or syslog. --name Specify program name to be used for TCP wrapper checks and syslog logging. --timeout Timeout and close the connection after n seconds of inactivity. --syslog Log information to syslog. --bind_addr Forces redir to pick a specific address/interface to bind to when it listens for incoming connections. --ftp When using redir for an FTP server, this will cause redir to also redirect ftp connections. Type should be specified as either "port", "pasv", or "both", to specify what type of FTP connection to handle. Note that --transproxy often makes one or the other (generally port) undesirable. --transproxy On a linux system with transparent proxying enabled, causes redir to make connections appear as if they had come from their true origin. (see /usr/share/doc/redir/transproxy.txt) --connect Redirects connections through an HTTP proxy which supports the CONNECT command. Specify the address and port of the proxy using --caddr and --cport. --connect requires the hostname and port which the HTTP proxy will be asked to connect to. --bufsize n Set the bufsize (defaut 4096) in bytes. Can be used combined with --max_bandwidth or --random_wait to simulate a slow con- nection. --max_bandwidth n Reduce the bandwidth to be no more than n bits/sec. The algorithme is basic, the goal is to simulate a slow connection, so there is no pic acceptance. --random_wait n Wait between 0 and 2 x n milliseconds before each "packet". A "packet" is a bloc of data read in one time by redir. A "packet" size is always less than the bufsize (see also --bufsize). --wait_in_out n Apply --max_bandwidth and --random_wait for input if n=1, output if n=2 and both if n=3. SEE ALSO
inetd(1) local REDIR(1)