Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How can i read a non text file in unix - ELF-64 executable object file - IA64 Post 302125876 by alexcol on Sunday 8th of July 2007 09:22:37 PM
Old 07-08-2007
Bug How can i read a non text file in unix - ELF-64 executable object file - IA64

The binary file is
ELF-64 executable object file - IA64.
How i know that the source is
Is there any comamnd in unix i can read these kind of files or use a thirty party software?

Thanks for your help

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

dbx error ("Executable contains object file compiled on ...")

Hi, We are trying to run dbx on a core file for which we have the original executable and libs, but not the source / object tree. We have recompiled the objects from the original source, but dbx complains that they were compiled at a different time, and refuses to read them: Object file:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert Unix executable file to Tiff

Hi, I know nothing about Unix. Recently received image files from a client. Mac sees it as a Unix executable file. How do I convert these files to Tiff? Thanks for helping. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pet Teoh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix executable file

Hi - How can I find out under sh whitch file is an unix executable file? Need it for an software inventory. Thanks in advance. Regards - Lazybaer (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazybaer
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write an executable file in Unix

Hi, I want to write an executable file in unix env to go to a particular path instead of always typing the long path cd /app/oracle/product/10.2.0/Db_1/scripts/prejib/sample. I have tried with the below script in but not working . please help me bash-3.00$ cat a.sh #!/bin/sh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prejib
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing text file and feeding it into an executable

Hello, everyone. I am working wtihin AIX 5.3, and I need to do the following: read the each line of file BASE.txt do XK {line contents} if XK's output begins with "BASE", then append line contents to file "output.txt" continue until end of file Here is what I tried(unsuccessfuly): ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mordaris
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read csv file, convert the data and make one text file in UNIX shell scripting

I have input data looks like this which is a part of a csv file 7,1265,76548,"0102:04" 8,1266,76545,"0112:04" I need to make the output data should look like this and the output data will be part of text file: 7|1265000 |7654899 |A| 8|12660000 |76545999 |B| The logic behind the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJG
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inputs required in decoding file on AIX- executable (RISC System/6000) or object module not stripped

Hi, We are in the process of migrating from AIX to Linux. There is a script of type "executable (RISC System/6000) or object module not stripped" on AIX and we are unable to read the contents of it. Is there a way to read the contents of the file on AIX, so that we can rewrite the code in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesh17
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script UNIX to read text file line by line

i have a text file as belows, it includes 2 columns, 1st is the column name, 2nd is the file_name data_file.txt column_name file_name col1 file1 col2 file2 col3 file1 col4 file1 col5 file2 now, i would like to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tester111
4 Replies
execstack(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      execstack(8)

NAME
execstack - tool to set, clear, or query executable stack flag of ELF binaries and shared libraries SYNOPSIS
execstack [OPTION...] [FILES] DESCRIPTION
execstack is a program which sets, clears, or queries executable stack flag of ELF binaries and shared libraries. Linux has in the past allowed execution of instructions on the stack and there are lots of binaries and shared libraries assuming this behaviour. Furthermore, GCC trampoline code for e.g. nested functions requires executable stack on many architectures. To avoid breaking binaries and shared libraries which need executable stack, ELF binaries and shared libraries now can be marked as requiring executable stack or not requiring it. This marking is done through the p_flags field in the PT_GNU_STACK program header entry. If the marking is missing, kernel or dynamic linker need to assume it might need executable stack. The marking is done automatically by recent GCC versions (objects using trampolines on the stack are marked as requiring executable stack, all other newly built objects are marked as not requiring it) and linker collects these markings into marking of the whole binary or shared library. The user can override this at assembly time (through --execstack or --noexecstack assembler options), at link time (through -z execstack or -z noexecstack linker options) and using the execstack tool also on an already linker binary or shared library. This tool is especially useful for third party shared libraries where it is known that they don't need executable stack or testing proves it. OPTIONS
-s --set-execstack Mark binary or shared library as requiring executable stack. -c --clear-execstack Mark binary or shared library as not requiring executable stack. -q --query Query executable stack marking of binaries and shared libraries. For each file it prints either - when executable stack is not required, X when executable stack is required or ? when it is unknown whether the object requires or doesn't require executable stack (the marking is missing). -V Print execstack version and exit. -? --help Print help message. --usage Print a short usage message. ARGUMENTS
Command line arguments should be names of ELF binaries and shared libraries which should be modified or queried. EXAMPLES
# execstack -s ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 will mark ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 as requiring executable stack. # execstack -c ~/bin/bar will mark ~/bin/bar as not requiring executable stack. # execstack -q ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 ~/bin/bar will query executable stack marking of the given files. SEE ALSO
ld.so(8). BUGS
execstack doesn't support yet marking of executables if they do not have PT_GNU_STACK program header entry nor they have room for program segment header table growth. AUTHORS
Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>. 28 October 2003 execstack(8)