Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Kernel compilation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Kernel compilation Post 302125554 by uvrakesh on Friday 6th of July 2007 12:42:29 AM
Old 07-06-2007
kernel compilation

Hi,
I am new to kernel compilation, i tried many time compiling linux kernel,
But most of the time i failed in doing it(lack of knowledge),If any body have a detailed HOW TO, which would be helpful for me to learn it

I am getting compilation errors, and i dont know the exact problem as well to describe it here

Your experience would be helpful for me

Best Regards,
Rakesh UV

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

max number of slabs per kernel module (kernel 2.6.17, suse)

Hi All, Is there a max number of slabs that can be used per kernel module? I'm having a tough time finding out that kind of information, but the array 'node_zonelists' (mmzone.h) has a size of 5. I just want to avoid buffer overruns and other bad stuff. Cheers, Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brendan Kennedy
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

kernel compilation: ncurses issue

Hi, While trying to build the linux kernel - 2.6.24.2, i get the following error message during initial phase(make menuconfig) : scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:32:20: error: curses.h: No such file or directory <=== In file included from scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:24: It seems... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amit4g
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel module compilation problem

I have one big module 2.6.18 kernel mod.c I want to divide this to several files. The problem is to write right Makefile lib1.h lib1.c mod.c mod.c works fine normally but when I divide into several files and try to compile with this makefile obj-m := mod.o mod-objs := lib1.o ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcintom
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Kernel compilation for s3c2440

Hi All, I am trying to compile Kernel 2.6.31 with arm-linux-gcc3.2.2 for s3c2440a, but I am not able to perform the task. I am using Redhat 9 firstly i am using the following commands $make s3c2410_defconfig // there is no error in execution of this command next i run $make ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjanvg
0 Replies

5. Linux

Supermicro(dual core) server getting rebooted after "decompressing the kernel;booting the kernel" me

supermicro(dual core) server getting rebooted after "decompressing the kernel;booting the kernel" message comes. I tried giving acpi=off to the kernel command line but same problem.It shows everything ok and no problem with memory and processors and power supplies.Wt could be the reason? It has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernel parameters values?

Hi gurus Could anybody tell me which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernal parameters values in solaris. Here I am not taking about /etc/system file which is used to load kernal modules or to change any default system kernal parameter value Is it /dev/kmem file or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

7. Linux

Linux kernel compilation

I have complied the kernel with a default settings... now if I load this kernel , it'll load perfectly but the INTERNET is not workink... I think in the default settings The network modules are not included.. Can anybody help me out with the selection of the network module when i give "make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naresh046
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel Compilation Issue

I have installed ubuntu 11.04 on my system. After this when I used to give uname -r it showed me kernel version as 2.6.38. Now I had downloaded kernel 2.6.34.12 from kernel.org and installed it using the following steps: make make modules make modules_install make install This created... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies

9. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies
WHEREIS(1)						      General Commands Manual							WHEREIS(1)

NAME
whereis - locate the binary, source, and manual page files for a command SYNOPSIS
whereis [-bmsu] [-BMS directory... -f] filename... DESCRIPTION
whereis locates source/binary and manuals sections for specified files. The supplied names are first stripped of leading pathname compo- nents and any (single) trailing extension of the form .ext, for example, .c. Prefixes of s. resulting from use of source code control are also dealt with. whereis then attempts to locate the desired program in a list of standard Linux places. OPTIONS
-b Search only for binaries. -m Search only for manual sections. -s Search only for sources. -u Search for unusual entries. A file is said to be unusual if it does not have one entry of each requested type. Thus `whereis -m -u *' asks for those files in the current directory which have no documentation. -B Change or otherwise limit the places where whereis searches for binaries. -M Change or otherwise limit the places where whereis searches for manual sections. -S Change or otherwise limit the places where whereis searches for sources. -f Terminate the last directory list and signals the start of file names, and must be used when any of the -B, -M, or -S options are used. EXAMPLE
Find all files in /usr/bin which are not documented in /usr/man/man1 with source in /usr/src: example% cd /usr/bin example% whereis -u -M /usr/man/man1 -S /usr/src -f * FILES
/{bin,sbin,etc} /usr/{lib,bin,old,new,local,games,include,etc,src,man,sbin, X386,TeX,g++-include} /usr/local/{X386,TeX,X11,include,lib,man,etc,bin,games,emacs} SEE ALSO
chdir(2V) BUGS
Since whereis uses chdir(2V) to run faster, pathnames given with the -M, -S, or -B must be full; that is, they must begin with a `/'. whereis has a hard-coded path, so may not always find what you're looking for. AVAILABILITY
The whereis command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. 8 May 1994 WHEREIS(1)