Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Kernel compilation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Kernel compilation Post 302125546 by mankrish on Thursday 5th of July 2007 11:17:19 PM
Old 07-06-2007
Kernel compilation

I have re-compiled kernel source code available in /usr/src/linux.2.4.20 with "make" command. The compilation is succesful.

Now the problem is create the image for this. The documentation in the same folder says that now you have compile "make image". There is no option for image in Makefile.

Somebody please help in creating the image & adding the same to grub for booting

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

max number of slabs per kernel module (kernel 2.6.17, suse)

Hi All, Is there a max number of slabs that can be used per kernel module? I'm having a tough time finding out that kind of information, but the array 'node_zonelists' (mmzone.h) has a size of 5. I just want to avoid buffer overruns and other bad stuff. Cheers, Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brendan Kennedy
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

kernel compilation: ncurses issue

Hi, While trying to build the linux kernel - 2.6.24.2, i get the following error message during initial phase(make menuconfig) : scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:32:20: error: curses.h: No such file or directory <=== In file included from scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:24: It seems... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amit4g
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel module compilation problem

I have one big module 2.6.18 kernel mod.c I want to divide this to several files. The problem is to write right Makefile lib1.h lib1.c mod.c mod.c works fine normally but when I divide into several files and try to compile with this makefile obj-m := mod.o mod-objs := lib1.o ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcintom
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Kernel compilation for s3c2440

Hi All, I am trying to compile Kernel 2.6.31 with arm-linux-gcc3.2.2 for s3c2440a, but I am not able to perform the task. I am using Redhat 9 firstly i am using the following commands $make s3c2410_defconfig // there is no error in execution of this command next i run $make ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjanvg
0 Replies

5. Linux

Supermicro(dual core) server getting rebooted after "decompressing the kernel;booting the kernel" me

supermicro(dual core) server getting rebooted after "decompressing the kernel;booting the kernel" message comes. I tried giving acpi=off to the kernel command line but same problem.It shows everything ok and no problem with memory and processors and power supplies.Wt could be the reason? It has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernel parameters values?

Hi gurus Could anybody tell me which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernal parameters values in solaris. Here I am not taking about /etc/system file which is used to load kernal modules or to change any default system kernal parameter value Is it /dev/kmem file or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

7. Linux

Linux kernel compilation

I have complied the kernel with a default settings... now if I load this kernel , it'll load perfectly but the INTERNET is not workink... I think in the default settings The network modules are not included.. Can anybody help me out with the selection of the network module when i give "make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naresh046
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel Compilation Issue

I have installed ubuntu 11.04 on my system. After this when I used to give uname -r it showed me kernel version as 2.6.38. Now I had downloaded kernel 2.6.34.12 from kernel.org and installed it using the following steps: make make modules make modules_install make install This created... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies

9. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies
lfcompile64(5)                                          Standards, Environments, and Macros                                         lfcompile64(5)

NAME
lfcompile64 - transitional compilation environment DESCRIPTION
All 64-bit applications can manipulate large files by default. The transitional interfaces described on this page can be used by 32-bit and 64-bit applications to manipulate large files. In the transitional compilation environment, explicit 64-bit functions, structures, and types are added to the API. Compiling in this environment allows both 32-bit and 64-bit applications to access files whose size is greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). The transitional compilation environment exports all the explicit 64-bit functions (xxx64()) and types in addition to all the regular func- tions (xxx()) and types. Both xxx() and xxx64() functions are available to the program source. A 32-bit application must use the xxx64() functions in order to access large files. See the lf64(5) manual page for a complete listing of the 64-bit transitional interfaces. The transitional compilation environment differs from the large file compilation environment, wherein the underlying interfaces are bound to 64-bit functions, structures, and types. An application compiled in the large file compilation environment is able to use the xxx() source interfaces to access both large and small files, rather than having to explicitly utilize the transitional xxx64() interface calls to access large files. See the lfcompile(5) manual page for more information regarding the large file compilation environment. Applications may combine objects produced in the large file compilation environment with objects produced in the transitional compilation environment, but must be careful with respect to interoperability between those objects. Applications should not declare global variables of types whose sizes change between compilation environments. For applications that do not wish to conform to the POSIX or X/Open specifications, the 64-bit transitional interfaces are available by default. No compile-time flags need to be set. Access to Additional Large File Interfaces Applications that wish to access the transitional interfaces as well as the POSIX or X/Open specification-conforming interfaces should use the following compilation methods and set whichever feature test macros are appropriate to obtain the desired environment (see stan- dards(5)). o Set the compile-time flag _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE to 1 before including any headers. o Use the getconf(1) command with one or more of the following arguments: +------------------+----------------------------------------+ | argument | purpose | |LFS64_CFLAGS | obtain compilation flags necessary to | | | enable the transitional compilation | | | environment | |LFS64_LDFLAGS | obtain link editor options | |LFS64_LIBS | obtain link library names | |LFS64_LINTFLAGS | obtain lint options | +------------------+----------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
In the following examples, the transitional compilation environment is accessed by invoking the getconf utility with one of the arguments listed in the table above. The additional large file interfaces are accessed either by specifying -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE or by invoking the getconf utility with the arguments listed above. The example that uses the form of command substitution specifying the command within parentheses preceded by a dollar sign can be executed only in a POSIX-conforming shell such as the Korn Shell (see ksh(1)). In a shell that is not POSIX-conforming, such as the Bourne Shell (see sh(1)) and the C Shell (see csh(1)), the command must be enclosed within grave accent marks. Example 1: An example of compiling a program using transitional interfaces such as lseek64() and fopen64(): $ c89 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE $(getconf LFS64_CFLAGS) a.c $(getconf LFS64_LDFLAGS) $(getconf LFS64_LIBS) Example 2: An example of running lint on a program using transitional interfaces: % lint -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE `getconf LFS64_LINTFLAGS` ... `getconf LFS64_LIBS` SEE ALSO
getconf(1), lseek(2), fopen(3C), lf64(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 26 Jan 1998 lfcompile64(5)