Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file deleting question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers file deleting question Post 302125509 by LisaS on Thursday 5th of July 2007 05:07:40 PM
Old 07-05-2007
file deleting question

somehow one of my directories got a number of files whose names start with a dash -
e.g. -1129.txt

how can I remove them?
If I issue rm -1129.txt I get the message of illegal options
if I issue rm /-1129.txt I get a message that -1129.txt is not found

Lisa
HP-UX 11.23 i64

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines inside a file without opening the file

Hi, Just consider there are around 10 lines in a file. Now is it possible to delete the first 2 lines in the file without opening the file. No matter whatever the content of the file is, I just wanna delete the first 2 lines without opening the file. Is that possible? If so, please help me out.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the Last value from a file

How do i use SED command to replace the last existance of ',' with a blank value OR CUT can also do?? Eg --> aaa,aaad,fsdfde, I want to replace it with aaa,aaad,fsdfde Thanks in Advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: theeights
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - writing matching pattern to a new file and deleting it from the current file

Hello , I have comma delimited file with over 20 fileds that i need to do some validations on. I have to check if certain fields are null and then write the line containing the null field into a new file and then delete the line from the current file. Can someone tell me how i could go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting file name

I need a way to remove all the file names with they are extension from a line of a document. For example: I have doc named "gara" with the following content: /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/Desktop/Desktop.jpg /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/Desktop.pdf /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/linux/logo1.jpg... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogok_bg
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a pattern in UNIX without deleting the entire line

Hi I have a file: r58778.3|SOURCES={KEY=f665931a...,fw,221-705}|ERRORS={16_1:T,30_1:T,56_1:C,57_1:T,59_1:A,101_1:A,115:-,158_1:C,186_1:A,204:-,271_1:T,305:-,350_1:C,368_1:G,442_1:C,472_1:G,477_1:A}|SOURCE_1="Contig_1092402550638"(f665931a359e36cea0976db191ff60ff09cc816e) I want to retain... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyaa
15 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab deleting files command question

Hello out there, Our system has a pdf generator that creates pdf files. We dont need them pas 120 days. So I have this command in my crontab. I currently set it to "0" for testing. But normally have it set to -mtime 120 to remove files out of the folders from PDF out to several other potential... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting file basing on the timestamp substring in the file name

Hello, I have in my backup folder, files with names convention like this : randomFileNames_13-02-2014_23h13m09+1392333189 randomFileNames_14-02-2014_02h13m09+1392343989 randomFileNames_14-02-2014_04h13m09+1392351189 etc.... Base on timestamp at end of the filename, I would to delete all the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thuyetti
7 Replies
setuname(1M)															      setuname(1M)

NAME
setuname - change machine information SYNOPSIS
name] node] DESCRIPTION
The command is used to modify the value for system name and/or the node name by using the appropriate option(s). The command attempts to change the parameter values in both the running kernel and the system configuration to cross reboots. A temporary change affects only the running kernel. Options The command supports the following options: Changes the system name (for example, HP-UX) in the field of the structure where name is the new system name and consists of alphanumeric characters and the special characters dash, underbar, and dollar sign. Changes the name in the field of the structure where node specifies the new node name and consists of alphanumeric characters and the special characters dash, underbar, and dollar sign. Signifies a temporary change. The change will not survive a reboot. Either or both of the or options must be given when invoking The size of the name and node is limited to characters. is defined in Only users having appropriate privileges can use this command. EXAMPLES
To permanently change the system name to and the node name to issue the following command: To temporarily change the system name to and the node name to issue the following command: WARNINGS
Setting a nodename of more than 8 bytes is possible only with the appropriate configuration options enabled. It is strongly recommended that all related documentation be completely understood before setting a larger node name. A node name larger than 8 bytes can cause anomalous or incorrect behavior in applications which use the command or the system function to access the name. SEE ALSO
uname(1), uname(2), nodehostnamesize(5). setuname(1M)