Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Spliting PCI-X Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter Post 302125269 by kwliew999 on Thursday 5th of July 2007 12:10:39 AM
Old 07-05-2007
I understand that I can DLPAR the card to 2nd LPAR for the usage, but I would like to use the tape drive together to shortened the backup window. That's why I would like the 2 LPARs to use the SCSI card (w/ 2 channels) together.
If I made the SCSI as VIO device, am I able to split them into 2? How?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

adaptec scsi host adapter

Can anyone out there help me out? I'm trying to install a scsi tape back up on a sys running sco openserver 5.0.4. When I go through the steps for mkdev tape it seems like it works, but when I reboot I still don't see the tape. Also when it boots up I get a scsi bios not installed error. I've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goatboy_tx
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Which SCSI Adapter?

Hi. I need to find a simple SCSI adapter card for a Sun Ultra 5 workstation. I don't need the type w/ ethernet attached (e.g. X1032) as I already have ethernet onboard & they are more spendy. I know Adaptec is out, but what unit would work? I am attaching an external SCSI tape unit to this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Plain Person
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Trouble Installing a SCSI Adapter

Okay. I admit I'm sort of a newbie in this regard. I installed a SCSI adapter on a Sun Ultra 5 workstation. I did the standard STOP-A on the startup and got the OK prompt. I then tried probe-scsi-all. It dumps me back @ the OK prompt w/ no message whatsoever. I tried probe-scsi, nothing. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Plain Person
3 Replies

4. SCO

PCI Express 1x HBA for parallel SCSI in Openserver 6

I'm floundering here trying to locate a PCI-E 1x HBA that will support an external tape drive in SCO Openserver 6. I was unable to find anything that would work in the compatible hardware list and a call to Adaptec confirmed that PCI-X would've been a better option for the risers in the Dell 2950... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s_mal
1 Replies

5. AIX

Power6 Virtual Fibre Channel Adapter

Hello, Searched in all IBM Redbooks and on the internet and couldn't find anything about the new feature of POWER 6 which Virtual Fibre ( Fiber ) channel adapter. It is similar to virtual scsi adapter. In my client partition I created the virtual Fibre Adapter mapped it with the VIO... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

6. Hardware

SCSI Ultra320 80->68 adapter

I need to connect 80pin SCA Ultra320 SCSI hdd to 68pin. There are rumors that some bad "passive" adapters with problematic termination can fry the HDD. The adapter we got is Assmann ABSCA-2. Hard drive is 'Fujitsu MAW3073NC' Do we need to set any jumpers before turning it on? We already had... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
0 Replies

7. AIX

NPIV with 8Gb PCI Express Dual Port FC Adapter

All I am at a loss with a VIO server running ios 2.2.0.10-FP-24 SP-01. The VIO server is fitted with two 8Gb PCI Express Dual Port FC Adapters. However when I run the lsnports command only two of the adapter ports show as capable: $ lsnports name physloc ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnf
4 Replies

8. SCO

SCSI--Moving from PCI-X to PCIe

PCI-X was popular years ago, now it's not. Today's motherboards have PCIe slots, not PCI-X slots. I'm accustomed to using Adaptec, but I believe they've been bought out by ATTO Technology. Now ATTO has a product called PCI UL50 Dual Channel VHDCI Ultra320 SCSI PCIe card. So: does the SCO UNIX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Transpower
7 Replies

9. SCO

Moving hard drive and SCSI adapter to another computer

OK group, it's been 12 years since I worked with SCO. I need some direction here: SCO Openserver 5.07 I have a server with a bad motherboard. I have moved the SCSI adapter and hard drive to another computer. This new server has different hardware so I must install the chipset drivers for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jscholz
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

HPUX 11.11 Sept.2003 cannot see PCI-X scsi adapter

I am trying to reload a RP4440 with 2x300gb disks and dual Port Network card, with HPUX 11.11 Sept 2003. When the os boots and and gets to the main menu to install HPUX or run recovery, it cannot find the disks or NIC. At the OS prompt (after loading files), ioscan shows the Class ba, and shows... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
0 Replies
atapi_ide(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					      atapi_ide(7)

NAME
atapi_ide - Interface for ATAPI or IDE (PC) devices SYNOPSIS
PCI bus CMD/Acer ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata0 slot 1 PCI bus Cypress ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * bus ata1 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata1 slot 0 PCMCIA bus ATA/IDE disk card: bus pcmcia0 at * bus ata0 at pcmcia? controller scsi0 at ata0 DESCRIPTION
Devices commonly known for their use on PC devices as ATA or IDE devices are supported using the SCSI CAM device driver. The ATA standard has also been expanded to include what are known as ATAPI devices. The SCSI CAM device driver is also used for those disks and CD-ROM devices. These devices may also be known under the names EIDE, ATA-2, Fast-ATA, or Ultra-ATA. Beacuse the ATA/IDE standard was not developed until after many of the devices that used this standard were produced, there are many devices which do not strictly comply with the standard. While it is possible some industry standard devices may appear to work, it is also possible they will cause hang or data corruption cases when used under more stressful situations. For this reason, it is recommended that only the supported devices be used. These devices have been tested and are certified for correct operation. ATAPI/IDE controllers allow the connection of two devices. These two devices are known as the master device and the slave device. If only one device is connected, that device must be the master (slave-only configurations are not supported). When used by the SCSI CAM device driver, the IDE master device is assigned SCSI id 0 for that controller. The slave device is assigned SCSI id 1 for that controller. No other SCSI ids are assigned on that controller. Most ATAPI/IDE adapters contain two channels (known as the primary and secondary). Each of these channels may contain their own master and slave devices. Therefore, a dual channel ATAPI/IDE controller may contain up to 4 devices (a master and slave pair on each channel). These 4 devices are then accessed as SCSI id 0 and 1 on each channel. Many SCSI operations translate perfectly for use on IDE. For example, read and write operations are the same. However, many SCSI disk mode pages are emulated by the IDE device driver. For example, you can display the SCSI inquiry mode pages using the following command: % scu show inq pages pages are created by the device driver to contain the long (full IDE) form of the device name, serial number, revision, and the operational modes of the device. Only a shortened version of this information is available with the standard SCSI inquiry command. Note also that the following command: % scu show pages Shows that the SCSI mode pages contain only partial information. Only that informa- tion (such as geometry) that the drive reports to the system is able to be reformatted into these emulated SCSI mode pages. Much of the information (such as RPM) is simply not available from the drive, and therefore not accurately reported. ATAPI devices are much more closely related to SCSI devices, and as such contain their own mode pages. Therefore, for these devices, the mode page values reported are those from the device, and no emulation is involved. ATAPI tape devices are not supported at this time. FILES
/dev/disk/dsk??? /dev/disk/dsk??? RELATED INFORMATION
SCSI(7), rz(7), and disklabel(8) delim off atapi_ide(7)