Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Sleep or Dealy fucntion Issue Post 302125246 by josejesus3340 on Wednesday 4th of July 2007 08:06:11 PM
Old 07-04-2007
Sleep or Dealy fucntion Issue

I am doing some programming using C on UNIX. The thing is, I have been working in both UNIX and Windows for practicing.

I created a Delay fucntion over Windows using DevC++ as a compiler, when I tried over the console, it worked as I expected, I mean it was creating a delay (of one second for example) between each operation.

When I tried this function over UNIX, it didn't get the same results. I would like to know what is happening. Then, I tried a Sleep function from the <unistd.h> library and it did the same. When I tried to do an operation that will be printed in the same line, the delay used between each operation is acummulated and then everything is done. For example;

Sleep(1); printf("Hi"); Sleep(1); printf("How"); Sleep(1); printf("are"); Sleep(1); printf("you?");

I have to wait four seconds to get all the expression to be printed in the screen, instead of getting each expresion with a one second delay. I hope somebody can help me out. I will aprecciate any help.

Other thing, I have been using the conio.h library of windows to put some color on the console. What can I used on UNIX? Can anybody give a working example?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sleep

what is the purpose of the sleep command? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep under one second

If I want a script to sleep for less than a second, would I use a decimal? In other words, if I wanted my script to sleep for 1/4 of a second, would I say, SLEEP .25 ?? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoogie
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system sleep

Dear All , I installed new Linux Red Hat 9 system and it is working fine . but while i keep it for certain time ideal ( i mean ndo not wrok on system itself ) it goes to mode like sleep mode ,,, but while it is in sleep mode i can not ping it or telnet !! i discovered it while i was telnet... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sleep less than 1 second

Does anyone know a way to sleep less than 1 second? Sometimes when I write scripts that iterates a loop many times it would be nice to slow things down, but sometimes 1 second is too much. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjorno
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrapping 'sleep' with my 'resleep' function (Resettable sleep)

This is a very crude attempt in Bash at something that I needed but didn't seem to find in the 'sleep' command. However, I would like to be able to do it without the need for the temp file. Please go easy on me if this is already possible in some other way: How many times have you used the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ISSUE on SFTP fucntion ,parameter passing!

Hi Everyone!! Hey i created a SFTP function to FTP the file from unix to Linux. I need to FTP the 48 files from unix to linux. IP=$1 Userid=$2 Prikeypath=$3 SrcPath=$4 DstPath=$5 Files=$6 BATCHFILE=sftp.batch.$$ LOGFILE=sftp.log.$$ #Compose batch file & pass as argument to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep while i > 0

Hi, I have a script that runs a process at the beginning and I want to sleep/wait until this process is finished and then continue with the rest of the script. I am trying with this, but it is not working: process=`ps -ef | grep "proc_p01 -c" | grep -v grep | wc -l` if ; do sleep 10 done... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
7 Replies
RSS Other Screensaver(1)				      General Commands Manual					  RSS Other Screensaver(1)

NAME
matrixview - seeing images in the matrix. SYNOPSIS
matrixview [--root/-r] [--maxfps/-x number] [--vsync/-y number] [--dpms/-M number] [--images/-i directory] [--scene_interval/-s number] [--matrix_interval/-m number] [--matrix_width/-X number] [--matrix_height/-Y number] [--contrast/-c number] DESCRIPTION
Assimilation of Matrix GL by Nightradio <nightradio@knoppix.ru> (http://knoppix.ru/matrixgl.shtml) OPTIONS
--root Draw on the root window. --maxfps number Set maximum frame rate. --vsync number Limit redraws to specified number of vertical refreshes. 0 - 100. Default: 1 --dpms number Stop rendering new frames if the display is not on. 0 - 1. Default: 1 --images directory Directory to load images from. If omitted, Matrix related images built into the screensaver are used. --scene_interval number How long an image stays in the matrix. 0 - 120. Default: 5 --matrix_interval number How long do the normal matrix thing between scenes. Meaningless if --scene_interval is 0. 3 - 120. Default: 5 --matrix_width number Horizontal matrix resolution. 40 - 320. Default: 90 --matrix_height number Vertical matrix resolution. 30 - 240. Default: 70 --contrast number Image contrast %. 0 - 100. Default: 75 ENVIRONMENT
DISPLAY to get the default host and display number. SEE ALSO
X(1), COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003 by Alex Zolotov and Tugrul Galatali. MatrixView is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as pub- lished by the Free Software Foundation. MatrixView is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABIL- ITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. AUTHOR
Alex Zolotov <nightradio@knoppix.ru> and Tugrul Galatali <tugrul@galatali.com> X Version 11 RSS Other Screensaver(1)