Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pwd & cd commands not working in shell script Post 302125176 by perk_bud on Wednesday 4th of July 2007 08:41:12 AM
Old 07-04-2007
Thanks for helping me actually i was making a very sily mistake as some garbage characters were getting into my script any way thanx a lot

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

ftp dir and pwd commands

Hi, I have a conenction to remote server that I'm sending files too via FTP. The problem I have is that when the file gets delivered it is 0 (zero) size. I've manually connected and logged on. The only command I can successfully execute is pwd. When I do a dir or a put command it will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
7 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

forgot pwd & email address has changed

OK. Now that I can see that this will not go public, my old email address is removed. The new email is removed. I don't know my user name or pwd for this forum but I have registered. The forgotten pwd utility recognized my old email address, so I know I'm registered. Any help with updating my info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forgot
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

running script in cron - with ssh commands - not working

I ran an ssh command to run a script on a remote server ssh -l <user> <servername> /path/to/script/scriptname This works fine - and the script is executed correctly. However - I put this command into a script, that I want to run from cron every hour, to execute the file on the remote... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
31 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get shell commands working through ruby?

Hi all, I am a newbie currently trying to execute shell commands from ruby instead of a shell script.(This method is conceived only for solaris so no issues with porting to other OS and all) Eg: Consider the command 'ls" with a shell script ,I would use it like this bash# ls <all the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parameters passed to commands but not working in Bash shell

Hi, I am trying to do this thing useing my shell bash ( sorry for my english ) I have in a file 63 hostnames, i wanna ask to the DHCP admin, to reserv that reserves 63 IP addresses of this hosts, using their mac address. I have thinked this script: for ((i=1;i<63;i++)); do arp $(head... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cypress
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commands not working in script file

Hi All, I have created a shell script having some general copying and moving commands. Commands are working fine in Shell but while executing the shell script it is showing an error mv: cannot stat `/apps/orarpt/in/*': No such file or directory command is mv $IN_DIR* $ARCHIVE_DIR where... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maindola.amit
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change shell's pwd

Hi there, i was presented with a challenge that is beyond my current shell knowledge: how can you have a script that executed interactive will change your current working directory? Example (under MacOS): 1. start Terminal and my current working directory is my home folder 2. execute a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script & issues with non-AIX commands

I need to capture lengthy screen puts and direct to .txt. Script command is started on Wed Aug 22 13:27:36 EDT 2012. # qcp sh: qcp: not found. An issue I have is that script command doesn't take non-AIX commands. I need to run application-specific commands and capture the output in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sftp commands not working in shell script

hi, i am having 2 linux boxes as source and 1 linux box as destination.i want to create a shell script containing code to transfer a csv file from either of the 2 linux boxes (file will be present in just one box, i need to check both the boxes to see which box has the csv file) to 3rd linux box... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxlearn2013
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP Shell Script Get & Delete && Upload & Delete

Hi All, Do you have any sample script, - auto get file from SFTP remote server and delete file in remove server after downloaded. - only download specify filename - auto upload file from local to SFTP remote server and delete local folder file after uploaded - only upload specify filename ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weesiong
3 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-c COMMAND] [-e] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c COMMAND Run the COMMAND rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux