Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Need to look at Kernel parameters Post 302125106 by andryk on Wednesday 4th of July 2007 02:12:41 AM
Old 07-04-2007
Like Perderabo said it depends on the release of the OS, on older release its kmtune

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Display Kernel Parameters

Good Day Please couls somebody tell me how to display Configurable Kernel parameters from the command line. I am able to do it from SAM,but would like to dump the command line output to a text file so I can email it off to HP. Kind Regards Shawn (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shawnbishop
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tunable kernel parameters

Hi all, I'm at SCO UNIXWARE 7.1.1, my system's memory is larger than dump device, I have found one kernel tunable parameter at SCO website ie SYSDUMP_SELECTIVE which tells me that if set to 1 system will dump only kernel mapped memory, but I'm not sure how to configure this parameter. As well... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

kernel parameters

I want to change some kernel parameters in HP-UX11, to do with Oracle upgrade/install. I know this is done using SAM. I am told SAM will not let you enter values outside the allowable range. Could anyone tell me if they have experienced anything different? In Solaris, I would copy the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcqv
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Kernel parameters.

I've been trying to find out the following parameters of our Unix box: ==>OS version ==> patch level and the following kernel parameters =>maxfiles_lim =>maxvgs =>nproc =>msgmni =>ncsize =>nfile Could someone help me how would I find the above(commands)? Thanks, Bhagat (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhagat.singh-j
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Adding new kernel parameters

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. i'm working on HP-UX 11.31 ia64 for testing our product i could able to change the kernel parameter values and i need to add the following parameters to the parameters list semmap = 258 nfile = 2048 msgseg = 7168 msgssz = 32 maxusers = 60 msgmap = 258 msgmax =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jo09
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernel parameters values?

Hi gurus Could anybody tell me which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernal parameters values in solaris. Here I am not taking about /etc/system file which is used to load kernal modules or to change any default system kernal parameter value Is it /dev/kmem file or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

7. Linux

kernel module parameters

Hi, if I install a module with specific parameter, will this parameters applied next time system boots? for exampe, I want to disable InterruptThrottleRate modprobe e1000e InterruptThrottleRate=0 Is this parameter apllied only for this run, or this module will always use this parameter when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shedon
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Kernel Parameters

Dear All, I want to check whether all essential kernel parameters are installed in my Solaris 10 System. Is there any way to find it. And also how to tune it. Kindly help. Thanks and Regards Rj (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Kernel Parameters

Dear All, I have weblogic Portal Installed in the Server solaris 10. How can i verify whether all the kernel parameters are available for this Software and also another question is How to crosscheck a server ( Solaris 10 Sparc ) whether it has all the required kernel parameters. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What exactly does Kernel parameters do ?

Virtual Machine running on VMWare workstation 9.2 os : RHEL 5.8 RAM : 2.5GB Swap : 2.6gb CPU : 1 virtual CPU Surprizingly I couldn't find much from googling on What exactly does Kernel parameters do ? I was under the impression that kernel parameters just set the limits/maximum for a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies
nfile(5)							File Formats Manual							  nfile(5)

NAME
nfile - maximum number of open files (system-wide) VALUES
Failsafe Default The default value for is (zero). The value of zero means that the system limit usually enforced by will be disabled (that is, the number of system-wide open files is limited only by available memory). Allowed values The allowed values for are either (zero) or values between the minimum and maximum (inclusive). The minimum value is The maximum value is the maximum 32-bit signed integer value that can be represented in the system. The value is further constrained in that it must be greater than or equal to two times the per-process open file hard limit (that is, Specify a positive integer value. DESCRIPTION
This tunable is now private and deprecated. It should no longer be used. The system open file table was restructured in 11iV3 to remove the architectural limitations on this value, and, therefore, is no longer needed. The recommended way to regulate the maximum number of open files on the system is to set the values of and appropriately; the theoretical system maximum can be assumed to be * The tunable defines the maximum number of slots in the system open file table. This number limits the cumulative number of open files by all processes in the system. In addition to named files (regular files, directories, links, device files, and so on), other objects that consume slots in the system open file table include pipes, FIFOs, sockets, and streams. Be aware that the and system calls consume entries in the per-process file tables but do not consume new slots in the system open file table. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? This tunable is not expected to be changed. Restrictions on Changing This tunable is dynamic; tuning will take effect immediately on the running system. When the value of is dynamically tuned it cannot be set to a value lower than the number of current open files in the running kernel. To allow an unlimited number of system-wide open files, the value should be set to the default. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? This tunable should only be set to a non-zero value to enforce a limit on the number of open files. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? By setting this tunable to a positive, non-zero value, the system wide limit will be enforced. By requiring the system to enforce a global limit, performance of the system call and other related system calls may be impaired. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? The value of rarely needs to be lowered. The value may be lowered to limit the number of open files on a system, and this may reduce mem- ory consumption. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? A lower limit may restrict an application's ability to allocate a new file descriptor or open a named file. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? must be equal to or greater than two times the value of Kernel checks during tunable setting ensure this. WARNINGS
This tunable is obsolete and will be removed in a future release of HP-UX. All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
kctune(1M), sam(1M), dup(2), dup2(2), gettune(2), open(2), settune(2), maxfiles(5), maxfiles_lim(5), nproc(5). OBSOLETE
Tunable Kernel Parameters nfile(5)