Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: stdout back to tty
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers stdout back to tty Post 302124845 by xander on Tuesday 3rd of July 2007 12:15:34 AM
Old 07-03-2007
You can do it with tee !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

I m not sure that this is your requirement . however i m trying if it works for you its good !!!!

the solution to your problem is using tee command but for that you will have to run the code from beginning
not in middle . suppose you are using less command to see any file
then you can send the output to the file and also to your terminal as follows

Code:
less abc.log | tee /dev/pts10 xyz.txt| less

this will send your 1 output to your terminal . other output to the file xyz.txt

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tty remote IP

I am fairly new to Unix Terminal outputs and I have a server that is sending print jobs to a PortServer 8 RJ45 situated in a remote location. It is working fine however we need to change the Subnet of that location and I am unable to find where the IP associated with the terminal is located. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: martin_Montreal
4 Replies

2. AIX

tty

Hi All can anyone tell me what is the meaning of tty,or give me an example of this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magasem
1 Replies

3. AIX

back to back printing in UNIX

Hi , Can you suggest me how to back to back printing in UNIX? Is there any way? Kindly advise. Regards Vijaya Amirtha Raj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to put the STDOUT back to terminal

I have put the file descriptor 1 to file, using command exec 1>>out.txt Then I could not see any output on the screen, how could I restore the default output to terminal? :mad: Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: biglau
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

Back-to-Back Connection using HBAs

Hi every body, Is it possible to connect two servers Back-to-Back (Point-to-Point) using HBA adapters & using Fiber. Note it is direct connection & there is no switches between the servers. I'm concern about using HBA adapters, it is possible or not. Thanks in advance. :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
3 Replies

6. Programming

how to redirect back to stdout

In my program, I am using library provided by other. In the library, the cout/cerr is redirected to a file (the file path is known). After I call some methods in the library, I get one side-effect --> The cout/cerr in my own program is also directed to the file. So how can I to redirect... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: princelinux
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tty changes?

I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology but somehow my tty keeps changing on me. The man pages are confusing to me on what exactly the tty is. This is what I see when I run the tty command. Could anyone explain why my tty keeps changing? ~ $ tty /dev/pts/1 ~ $ tty /dev/pts/0 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
MOUNT_FDESC(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    MOUNT_FDESC(8)

NAME
mount_fdesc -- mount the file-descriptor file system SYNOPSIS
mount_fdesc [-o options] fdesc mount_point DESCRIPTION
The mount_fdesc command attaches an instance of the per-process file descriptor namespace to the global filesystem namespace. The conven- tional mount point is /dev and the filesystem should be union mounted in order to augment, rather than replace, the existing entries in /dev. The directory specified by mount_point is converted to an absolute path before use. This command is normally executed by mount(8) at boot time. The options are as follows: -o Options are specified with a -o flag followed by a comma separated string of options. See the mount(8) man page for possible options and their meanings. The contents of the mount point are fd, stderr, stdin, stdout and tty. fd is a directory whose contents appear as a list of numbered files which correspond to the open files of the process reading the directory. The files /dev/fd/0 through /dev/fd/# refer to file descriptors which can be accessed through the file system. If the file descriptor is open and the mode the file is being opened with is a subset of the mode of the existing descriptor, the call: fd = open("/dev/fd/0", mode); and the call: fd = fcntl(0, F_DUPFD, 0); are equivalent. The files /dev/stdin, /dev/stdout and /dev/stderr appear as symlinks to the relevant entry in the /dev/fd sub-directory. Opening them is equivalent to the following calls: fd = fcntl(STDIN_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDOUT_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDERR_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); Flags to the open(2) call other than O_RDONLY, O_WRONLY and O_RDWR are ignored. The /dev/tty entry is an indirect reference to the current process's controlling terminal. It appears as a named pipe (FIFO) but behaves in exactly the same way as the real controlling terminal device. FILES
/dev/fd/# /dev/stdin /dev/stdout /dev/stderr /dev/tty SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), tty(4), fstab(5), mount(8) HISTORY
The mount_fdesc utility first appeared in 4.4BSD. BUGS
This filesystem may not be NFS-exported. BSD
March 27, 1994 BSD