Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trying to remove single character from a line Post 302124842 by Iz3k34l on Monday 2nd of July 2007 11:31:28 PM
Old 07-03-2007
Data Trying to remove single character from a line

Here is a sample code

grep '903' -i user.txt | tail -2 | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/B//g'

the input file has data as such
903-xxx-xxxxB
903-xxx-xxxxB
It is a dialer file i want to remove the "B"

any help thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Last Character of Line

Hi, I need to put the single line contents of a file into a variable, but remove the last character, for example the file would have this sort of contents: 2;4;3;10;67;54;96; And I want the variable to be: 2;4;3;10;67;54;96 (notice the last ";" has gone). Unfortunately I can't just... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: danhodges99
4 Replies

2. Programming

remove single-line comment

Does anyone knows how to write a program to remove single-line comment in C program? that means it don't read anything behind // (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Icy002
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a single line to count how many times one character occurs in a word...

I've been looking on the internet, and haven't found anything simple enough to use in my code. All I want to do is count how many times "-" occurs in a string of characters (as a package name). It seems it should be very simple, and shouldn't require more than one line to accomplish. And this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shingoshi
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a single character from each line of the file

Hi, I should read one character at a fixed position from each line of the file. So how ??? should be substituted in the code below: while read line ; do single_char=`???` echo "$single_char" done < $input_file (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsii
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove , if first character on line

Hi, I have a file with lines such as the below. I want to remove the comma only if it is the first character on a line. I can't work out how to do this using sed. *ELSET, ELSET=WHEEL_TD2 63, 64, 65, 72, 82, 88, 89, 92, 120, 121, 152, 181, 190, 221, 252, 259 , 260, 282, 283, 285, 286,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlr
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove last character in each line

Hi guys, Does anyone know how to remove the last character in each of the line? This is what I have: ABCDE.1 GLSJD.2 HIJPL.2 HKAGB.3 IUBWQ.1 What I want (remove the dot and number): ABCDE GLSJD HIJPL HKAGB IUBWQ I tried to use this: sed 's/.*//' But I'm not sure if that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: narachaid
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove multi line and single line comments

Hi, I am trying to remove multi line and single line comments like examples below I have tried this pattern. it works fine for single line comments and multi line comments in a single line only. but this fails when the comments are extended in multiple lines as shown in the comment 2 of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove single-line breaks only in document

Regarding copy/pasted text of copyright-free book from archive.org (link below), in attempt to expand single-line-break paragraph text (not section headings or paragraph breaks) to wider right margin, Justify or Wrap in LIbreOffice is not working, and Find/Replace the paragraph mark ($) wraps all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: p1ne
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove single @ on line from file

Hi All, So I have to remove all the @hostnames from a file, the problem is, there are instances where @ is used for other things... For example: example text: @This is some text in between some at signs@ @This is some more text@ This is a line that will contain a username and his/her... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeg1484
5 Replies
RARPD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  RARPD(8)

NAME
rarpd -- Reverse ARP Daemon SYNOPSIS
rarpd [-adf] [interface] DESCRIPTION
Rarpd services Reverse ARP requests on the Ethernet connected to interface. Upon receiving a request, rarpd maps the target hardware address to an IP address via its name, which must be present in both the ethers(5) and hosts(5) databases. If a host does not exist in both data- bases, the translation cannot proceed and a reply will not be sent. Additionally, a request is honored only if the server (i.e., the host that rarpd is running on) can "boot" the target; that is, if the direc- tory /tftpboot/ipaddr exists, where is the target IP address. In normal operation, rarpd forks a copy of itself and runs in the background. Anomalies and errors are reported via syslog(3). OPTIONS
-a Listen on all the Ethernets attached to the system. If '-a' is omitted, an interface must be specified. -d Run in debug mode, with all the output to stderr. This option implies the -f option. -f Run in the foreground. FILES
/etc/ethers /etc/hosts /tftpboot SEE ALSO
bpf(4), Finlayson, R., Mann, T., Mogul, J.C., and Theimer, M., A Reverse Address Resolution Protocol, RFC 903. AUTHORS
Craig Leres (leres@ee.lbl.gov) and Steven McCanne (mccanne@ee.lbl.gov). Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley, CA. October 26, 1990