Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO filesystem not getting unmounted Post 302124489 by nensee7 on Sunday 1st of July 2007 10:46:23 AM
Old 07-01-2007
filesystem not getting unmounted

Hi, I'm working on SCO 2.1. I had a problem with my datadrive & I had replaced it lastly. Now one of the installed filesystems is not getting unmounted at the time of shutting down the system (I guess)Smilie after the installation of new tape drive.
If I try to unmount it forciblyby writing command like,
#umount home6
then it is giving error like, busy
So, I have to shutdown the system without unmounting that file system.
Is it dangerous??Smilie
How can I fix the problem???
pls guide me,
nancy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

file system under /dev have been unmounted

Dear all, i am running SCO unix 7.1, and i had a problem with the system file that was full thus some application wasn't able to be executed; then i've done the following: - move some core files from / directory - Increase the system parameter FLCKREC, then rebuild the system. - after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Athos19
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill shell script when host program not running/disk unmounted

I have my Mac OS X program executing a shell script (a script that copies files to a drive). I want to make it so that the shell script automatically kills itself if it finds that the host .app is not running OR kill itself if the drive that it is copying files to has been unmounted. Right now what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

if (disk is mounted) unmount if (disk is unmounted) mount

Hey there, sorry if this is a bit too much of a noob question, trying to get to grips with a simple bash script - but i have done ZERO bash scripting. basically having worked out how to mount and unmount disks using: disktool -m *device* & disktool -e *device* - and looking at the result of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hollister
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris Filesystem vs. Windows FileSystem

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's the difference of filesystem of Solaris to filesystem of Windows? I need to compare both. I have read some over the net but it's so much technical. Could you explain it in a more simpler term? I am new to Solaris. Hope you help me guys. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
4 Replies

6. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

LVM unmounted due to out of memory

Hi , Our one of VMguest all lvm got unmounted once the machine is rebooted when in repair state dmesg its showing an error out of memory killed process 22289 (lvm) please refer screen shots attached when i look the lvscan its showing all lvm are inactive i checked throuh top there... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: venikathir
0 Replies

8. AIX

Filesystem Unmounted

Please help me to find or how the filesystem got unmounted without our(Admin) knowledge? :confused::confused: It was an Application filesystem and server was not rebooted. Customer is asking the RCA that how their filesystem got umounted? bash-3.2# uptime 02:49PM up 193 days, 18:59, 7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thala
3 Replies

9. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

NFS mounted and unmounted shell script

Hi, I making a script to check nfs mount and unmount options. After various findings, i didn't get any solution for that. Can you please help me in making the script. 1) I have used, if grep -qs '/var/JETSHARE' /proc/mounts; then echo "It's mounted." else echo "It's not mounted. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santosh101
2 Replies

10. AIX

Mounted and unmounted

Hi Guys I'm new here, and I need urgent help. This my first steps to be Aix admin and I have this task -instal Oracle database on Aix machine and create mounting point /u02 of size 100GB for Oracle Standalone database installation. -download and install the following OS patches - IV42025... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaled_ly84
5 Replies
FSCK(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   FSCK(8)

NAME
fsck -- filesystem consistency check and interactive repair SYNOPSIS
fsck -p [-f] fsck [-l maxparallel] [-q] [-y] [-n] [-d] DESCRIPTION
The first form of fsck preens a standard set of filesystems or the specified filesystems. It is normally used in the script /etc/rc during automatic reboot. Here fsck reads the filesystem descriptor table (using getfsent(3)) to determine which filesystems to check. Only parti- tions that have ``rw,'' ``rq'' or ``ro'' as options, and that have non-zero pass number are checked. Filesystems with pass number 1 (nor- mally just the root filesystem) are checked one at a time. When pass 1 completes, all remaining filesystems are checked, running one process per disk drive. The disk drive containing each filesystem is inferred from the shortest prefix of the device name that ends in one or more digits; the remaining characters are assumed to be the partition designator. In preening mode, filesystems that are marked clean are skipped. Filesystems are marked clean when they are unmounted, when they have been mounted read-only, or when fsck runs on them success- fully. It should be noted that fsck is now essentially a wrapper that invokes other fsck_XXX utilities as needed. Currently, fsck can invoke fsck_hfs, fsck_msdos, fsck_exfat, and fsck_udf. If this underlying process that fsck invokes encounters serious inconsistencies or the filesystem type is not one of the above, it exits with an abnormal return status and an automatic reboot will then fail. For each corrected inconsistency one or more lines will be printed identifying the filesystem on which the correction will take place, and the nature of the correction. If sent a QUIT signal, fsck will finish the filesystem checks, then exit with an abnormal return status that causes an automatic reboot to fail. This is useful when you want to finish the filesystem checks during an automatic reboot, but do not want the machine to come up multi- user after the checks complete. Without the -p option, fsck audits and interactively repairs inconsistent conditions for filesystems. It should be noted that some of the corrective actions which are not correctable under the -p option will result in some loss of data. The amount and severity of data lost may be determined from the diagnostic output. If the operator does not have write permission on the filesystem fsck will default to a -n action. The following flags are interpreted by fsck and passed along to the underlying tool that it spawns. -f Force fsck to check `clean' filesystems when preening. -l Limit the number of parallel checks to the number specified in the following argument. By default, the limit is the number of disks, running one process per disk. If a smaller limit is given, the disks are checked round-robin, one filesystem at a time. -p "Preen" mode, described above. -q Do a quick check to determine if the filesystem was unmounted cleanly. -y Assume a yes response to all questions asked by fsck; this should be used with great caution as this is a free license to con- tinue after essentially unlimited trouble has been encountered. -n Assume a no response to all questions asked by fsck except for 'CONTINUE?', which is assumed to be affirmative; do not open the filesystem for writing. If no filesystems are given to fsck then a default list of filesystems is read using getfsent(3). Because of inconsistencies between the block device and the buffer cache, the raw device should always be used. SEE ALSO
fs(5), fsck_hfs(8), fsck_msdos(8), getfsent(3), reboot(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution May 18, 2010 4th Berkeley Distribution