Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to read in shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to read in shell Post 302124383 by ozgurgul on Saturday 30th of June 2007 09:32:10 AM
Old 06-30-2007
Another way of doing

Code:
tail -6 /etc/passwd | head -1 | cut -d: -f 3

Cheers,
Ozgur

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

When does a shell read into memory?

I don't know how to ask this clearly, so I'll try my best... At what point does a shell script stop reading from a file, and begin using the buffered script? Hopefully, this example will shed some light: #!/usr/bin/ksh value="" until ; do sleep 10 print "What is your value?" #print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to read from a file in C shell?

Hi All, I want to read some number from a file into a variable in C shell as follows. I know that the syntax in ksh is read x < file name I dont know what's the equivalent for this in C Shell Can some one pls. help me out? Thanks in advance raju (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajugp1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read a file using shell ??

Hello i have a file in directory which has some values like this lets assume the file is $p ttry_rtyy_trree and i am using a file as an input as ($Y) in a shell once i start the shell it should read the file $p and $Y once those lines are matched in $Y i want to take a copy of that ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranga27
7 Replies

4. Programming

read arguments from shell

I have to write a C program using sys call (read, no fread) to read from shell all the parameters, without know how many are them. I tryed in some ways, but I have no success. Any Idea? Can I use read to read from stdin? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

6. Programming

How to read output of a shell command

Hello All, I have a an application written in C and runing on Red Hat Linux. In my code I have written a command that is fired on the linux shell by using system() function call. Now I need to read the output of this command in my c program and assign it to a variable. Can anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamik
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

read a line using c shell

Hi all, I am using csh to read a line from the terminal. I was told to use $< like the following in the terminal: set name = $< then I write a line: James Bond then I look at the value of 'name': echo $name it is always 'James'. Although the textbook tells me that $< read a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lionheartyoung
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While read line in shell

Guys, I have a requirement like below my cfg file(sam.cfg) has path=/u/sample/test/ path=/u/sample1/test1/ path=/u/sample2/test2/ days=10 file=*.log My script is below, #!/bin/sh ./u/sample/sam.cfg while read line do find $path -name "$file" -mtime +$days -exec ls -la... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tell php to read shell?

.... Solved.... .. .. Hello, I've read couples of similar threads to my question and I strongly believe that I am doing something wrong. What I'm trying to do is to process data with php. It reads data from shell script. Everything goes well but at the end it does not print what it reads... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
0 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). User Commands 06/24/2011 CHSH(1)