Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Difference between <stdin> & terminal Post 302124283 by porter on Friday 29th of June 2007 09:47:58 AM
Old 06-29-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhor_agarwali
But some commands read from <stdin> and some from terminal.
Ah, some programs explicitly open /dev/tty in order to read from the terminal and do not want piped input. A good example is a program (eg ssh) that needs to read a password, it wants it typed in by a person.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

what is the difference between Unix & linux, what are the advantages & disadvantages

ehe may i know what are the difference between Unix & Linux, and what are the advantages of having Unix as well as disadvantages of having Unix or if u dun mind i am dumb do pls tell me what are the advantages as well as the disadvantages of having linux as well. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cybertechmkteo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the difference between Unix & linux

:confused: Hi All Can anyone help me in finding the answer of the question mentioned below. What is the difference between Unix & linux ? Thanks in Advance to all CSaha (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaha
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between ./ & . ./ ???

For executing a shell script, i know 2 ways: 1) using sh command 2) making the script file executable & then use ./ But i can across another way for executing the scripts... using ". ./" I tried this way.. but i was able to understand the difference between "./" and ". ./" I would be very... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abishekmag
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between && and -a

I've come stuck when I was making sure the hour of the day was not been two times so that the rest of the script could not be executed. Seems simple enough. I used the -a to join the two conditions together and it would run if the conditions was t/f ( it is only supposed to run if was t/t).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spookyrtd99
3 Replies

5. Programming

C++ How to use pipe() & fork() with stdin and stdout to another program

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.

I am trying to automate a SSH login using Keys using the following command ssh -i id_rsa usernamw@ipaddr. I am successful in doing this and i am getting the Warning Screen and I logon successfully. but when I am executing the command tail -1cf put.dat | ssh -i id_rsa username@ipaddr > get.dat ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Difference between sudo & RBAC

Hello Everybody I would like to know any major difference between sudo & RBAC as I am bit familiar with RBAC but not with sudo (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDERR to file & terminal using tee

Hi All, Solarix/Bash v3x Im trying to output any standard errors created by the script to a file using the below command: . runDTE.sh 2> "$DTE_ERROR_FILE" however the errors do get written to the dir/file stored in $DTE_ERROR_FILE but the error does not appear on the terminal screen in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between console and Terminal.

I see these terms used all the time with hardly any distinction between the two. Any clarification would be appreciated!:) I could only get emacs to open in console so I was also wondering what are the common applications to use in console.:wall: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between & and nohup &

Hi All, Can anyone please help me understanding what the difference between the below two? 1. script.sh & 2. nohup script.sh & (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
2 Replies
ul(1)							      General Commands Manual							     ul(1)

Name
       ul - process underscores for terminal

Syntax
       ul [-i] [-t terminal] [name...]

Description
       The  command  reads  the  named files (or standard input if none are given) and translates occurrences of underscores to the sequence which
       indicates underlining for the terminal in use, as specified by the environment variable TERM.  The -t option overrides  the  terminal  kind
       specified  in  the  environment.  The file /etc/termcap is read to determine the appropriate sequences for underlining.	If the terminal is
       incapable of underlining, but is capable of a standout mode then that is used instead.  If the terminal can overstrike, or  handles  under-
       lining automatically, degenerates to If the terminal cannot underline, underlining is ignored.

The  -i option causes to indicate underlining by a separate line containing appropriate dashes `-'; this is useful when you want to look at
       the underlining which is present in an output stream on a crt-terminal.

Options
       -i Displays underscoring on separate line containing appropriate dashes (-).

-t terminal
	  Uses type of specified terminal in place your terminal's type.

Restrictions
       The command usually outputs a series of backspaces and underlines intermixed with the text to indicate underlining.  No attempt is made	to
       optimize the backward motion.

See Also
       man(1), nroff(1), colcrt(1)

ul(1)