Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What is the output of echo *
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is the output of echo * Post 302124276 by vgersh99 on Friday 29th of June 2007 09:27:14 AM
Old 06-29-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by shailja
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. But I have one query, echo * displays only files in the current working directory or files and directories in the current working directory.
everything - the easiest way to find out is to try it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store output and Echo

I will admit I am a newbie but I am trying to write some simple scripts Situation: I have a list of IP Addresses that I want to once or 2 times a day store the average ping response time in a database (mysql) I am part way there but not all the way there I have the following cat ./slow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyerder
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I output or echo NONE if grep does not find anything?

I am performing a grep command and I need to know how to echo "NONE" or "0" to my file if grep does not find what i am looking for. echo What i found >> My_File grep "SOMETHING" >> My_File I am sure this is easy, I am sort of new at this! Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojojmac5
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping output to echo

Hi, I was wondering why ls * | echo does not print the contents of the directory to the screen? The way I see it, ls * returns a whole lot of information, and then we pipe all this info to echo, so surely it should all come to our screen! Is there a serious flaw in my understanding? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A1977
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

weird echo output?

#!/bin/bash INPUT=$1 if then INPUT=0$1 TRACKNUMBER=$INPUT fi TRACKNUMBER=$INPUT echo "Track Number:" $TRACKNUMBER if then echo "File Does Not Exist!: split-track"${TRACKNUMBER}".wav" exit 0 fi CUEFILE="$2" (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinCanFury
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of both the echo statement in one line

I have script like echo -n FINISHED FEXP: ${TABLE2EXP} echo $STATUS I want the output of both the echo statement in one line How can i do this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorp_rahul23
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting output using echo

i have the following script: while ;do b=${ARRAY2} i=0 while ;do a=${ARRAY1} fin=`echo $a - $b | bc` echo -e "${fin}," >> try ((i++)) ((k++)) done echo -n >> try #add statement to format output here #printf "\t" >> try #echo -e '\t' >> nik ((j++)) echo $j (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in echo output

Hi All, I have code to get the UUID and capacity for the LUN from CX -arry. I need the output in this format LUN Number UUID Space in MB LUN 238 60:06:01:60:C2:56:11:00:28:36:67:59:11:04:DE:11 122880 But Now iam getting this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting output of echo

can someone please tell me who to sort the numerical output of echo? UIO="8180 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 48240 48240 48240 48240 48240 48240 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 48300 0 0 0 48300" echo $UIO | sort -n This doesn't workk. it does not sort the numbers from smallest to highest. any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo output from command

Hello i am trying to do some calculation from output command for example ls -l if then echo "error" else echo "$" fi its something like this which get strings from output command and try to sum total lines of this string if exceed certain number it display error if not it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogabr
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo's strange output

Hi, Kindly help me to understand the behavior or logic of the below shell command $ echo $!# echo $echo $ $ $ echo !$# echo $# 0 I am using GNU bash, version 3.2.25(1)-release (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies
SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-echo - GNU shtool echo(1) extensional command SYNOPSIS
shtool echo [-n|--newline] [-e|--expand] string DESCRIPTION
shtool echo is an echo(1) style command which prints string to stdout and optionally provides special expansion constructs (terminal bold mode, environment details, date, etc) and newline control. The trick of this command is that it provides a portable -n option and hides the gory details needed to find out the environment details under option -e. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -n, --newline By default, output is written to stdout followed by a "newline" (ASCII character 0x0a). If option -n is used, this newline character is omitted. -e, --expand If option -e is used, string can contain special "%x" constructs which are expanded before the output is written. Currently the following constructs are recognized: %B switch terminal mode to bold display mode. %b switch terminal mode back to normal display mode. %u the current user name. %U the current user id (numerical). %g the current group name. %G the current group id (numerical). %h the current hostname (without any domain extension). %d the current domain name. %D the current day of the month. %M the current month (numerical). %m the current month name. %Y the current year. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool echo -n -e "Enter your name [%B%u%b]: "; read name shtool echo -e "Your Email address might be %u@%h%d" shtool echo -e "The current date is %D-%m-%Y" HISTORY
The GNU shtool echo command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Website META Language (WML) under the name buildinfo. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), echo(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)