Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix file does not display special characters Post 302124134 by Ygor on Thursday 28th of June 2007 11:20:01 PM
Old 06-29-2007
What are you using to read the file?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Special characters getting replaced by &Pound in Unix Environment

Hi, Please find the Question Summary below- In our email template document(.txt) bullets and Apostrophe are getting replaced by the string "&pound" in our Live environment.We are using sun solaris 8 in live. Can anybody let me know why this happens and how to prevent this . Thanks... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik05
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display special characters

I have a file that evidently has some special characters in it. Is there a Unix command that I can use tp display the file so I can see the octal or hex values? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Advice on extracting special characters from a DB2 table to a file in the UNIX ENV

need some advice on the following situation. I have a DB2 table which has a varchar Column. This varchar column can have special characters like ©, ®, ™ . When I extract from this table to a sequential file for this varchar column I am only able to get © and ® . To Get the ™... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cosec
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

display all possible control characters from .xml file in unix

Hi, I have a .xml file in unix. We are passing this file through a xml parser. But we are getting some control characters from input file and XML parser is failing for the control character in file.Now I am getting following error, Error at byte 243206625 of file filename_$.xml: Error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fantushmayu
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to display the ascii characters in java using unix OS

The below code is not able to converting the Hexa decimal characters into Ascii characers in Unix. byte bytes = newbyte; for(int i=0;i<bytes.length;i++){ bytes = (byte)Integer.parseInt(hex.substring(2*i, 2*i+2),16); } String multi = new String(bytes); System.out.println(" multi value from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivaspeyyala
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop: display special characters

Hi everybody; I have a code and this fetches data from first.txt,modify it and outputs it to second.txt file. l awk 'NR>1 {print "l ./gcsw "$1" lt all lset Data="$2" Value "$3}' /home/gcsw/first.txt > /home/gcsw/second.txt this outputs as: l ./gcsw 123 lt all lset Data=456 Value 789 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Windows to UNIX FTP Special characters!

I have a file that has the name in one of the lines as MARíA MENDOZA in Windows. When this gets FTPed over to UNIX it appears as MAR�A MENDOZA. Is there anyway to overcome this? Its causing a issue because the file is Postional and fields are getting pushed by 2 digits.. Any help would be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky338
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Special Characters

Any time I do : ls *.txt > mytext.txt I get something like this in the output file: ^ Tue Jan 22 16:19:19 EST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux t1Fam_BrOv :~>alias | grep ls alias l.='ls -d .* --color=tty' alias lR='ls -R' alias la='ls -Al' alias lc='ls -ltcr' alias ldd='ls -ltr |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special Characters BASH/UNIX term support

Trying to run this command: find /Volumes/Archive/ -type f -name "Icon" and get /Volumes/Archive//New Business and Marketing/2010 /Creative/Image Library/Stuff for Sean/Cafe Heineken/logo_Café Heineken_03.jpg: No such file or directory due to the accent on the filename. Is there a way around... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kostas123334
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help to delete special characters exists only at the end of the each record in UNIX file?

Hi, I have a file in unix with 15 columns.It consists special characters(#,$,^M,@,*,% etc)at the end of the each record.I want to remove these special characters.I used the following: Sed -e 's/ /g;s/ */ /g' . But It is removing special characters exists everywhere in the file(begining,middle... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
24 Replies
hp(1)							      General Commands Manual							     hp(1)

NAME
hp - handle special functions of HP2640 and HP2621-series terminals SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
supports special functions of the Hewlett-Packard HP 2640 and HP 2621 series of terminals, with the primary purpose of producing accurate representations of most output. A typical use is: Regardless of the hardware options on a given terminal, tries to do sensible things with underlining and reverse line-feeds. If the termi- nal has the ``display enhancements'' feature, subscripts and superscripts can be indicated in distinct ways. If it has the ``mathematical- symbol'' feature, Greek and other special characters can be displayed. Options recognizes the following options: Specify that your terminal has the ``display enhancements'' feature, to make maximal use of the added display modes. Overstruck characters are presented in the Underline mode. Superscripts are shown in Half-bright mode, and subscripts in Half-bright, Underlined mode. If this flag is omitted, assumes that your terminal lacks the ``display enhancements'' feature. In this case, all overstruck characters, subscripts, and super- scripts are displayed in Inverse Video mode; that is, dark-on-light, rather than light-on-dark. Request minimization of output by removing new-lines. Any contiguous sequence of 3 or more new-lines is converted into a sequence of only 2 new-lines; that is, any number of successive blank lines produces only a single blank output line. This allows you to retain more actual text on the screen. DIAGNOSTICS
The representation of a line exceeds 1,024 characters. RETURN VALUE
returns zero for normal termination, and 2 for all errors. WARNINGS
An ``overstriking sequence'' is defined as a printing character followed by a backspace followed by another printing character. In such sequences, if either printing character is an underscore, the other printing character is shown underlined or in Inverse Video; otherwise, only the first printing character is shown (again, underlined or in Inverse Video). Nothing special is done if a backspace is adjacent to an ASCII control character. Sequences of control characters (e.g., reverse line-feeds, backspaces) can make text ``disappear''; in partic- ular, tables generated by that contain vertical lines will often be missing the lines of text that contain the ``foot'' of a vertical line, unless the input to is piped through (see col(1)). Although some terminals do support numerical superscript characters, no attempt is made to display them. SEE ALSO
col(1), neqn(1), nroff(1), tbl(1). hp(1)