Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to handle my own mail
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to handle my own mail Post 302124005 by onthetopo on Thursday 28th of June 2007 06:29:48 AM
Old 06-28-2007
How to handle my own mail

I installed sendmail and pine and I could send emails to other people succesffly. However no matter what I try I cannot receive other people's email. The only messages sitting in my pine inbox are system notifications sent to root@knoppix.
Then I think the problem is that my mail is handled by someone else.
root@node02# host cluster.msu.com
cluster.msu.com has address 142.57.218.103
cluster.msu.com mail is handled by 10 pobox.msu.com.

I had no idea that pobox.msu.com was handling my mail, I didn't even know it existed . I couldn't ssh onto pobox.msu.com of course since I don't have password/account there. How to receive email on my own machine that is cluster.msu.com?

Thank you very much.

PS. All domain name/IP scramble for privacy.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

handle core

Hi I am looking for analog of the Windows "try-except" C code statement that enables target applications to gain control when events that normally terminate program execution occur. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vlad
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail problem (NOT Mail or Mail.app)

When I try to use the CLI mail, I get the following error. What's wrong? Welcome to Darwin! % mail root Subject: test test . EOT % /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 81: fileclass: cannot open /etc/mail/local-host-names: Group writable directory Do I just need to change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenly
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

handle decimals

Hi All, How we can handle decimals in (Float) in UNIX. a=73 b=5 c=`expr a / b` i am getting 14 but i need full 14.6 . Can any one help me pls? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Perderabo: Is that a common handle?

In an web based turn-based-strategy game I play (which until I am sure of the rules of this section of the forum, I'll not post a link to but is tiny and involves wars, warz even ;)), there is a player called Perderabo who has become rather powerful by the looks of things... Could this be one and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
2 Replies

5. Solaris

how to forward mail in /var/mail/username to external mail

Dear All, Now I use solaris 10 and I try to forward mail from /var/mail/username to their external mail so what should I do? thank u in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle one value below the other

Hi, I, have an output with 3 different values each below the other like: # echo $bla 123 345 234 Each value is in one line and for the further processing I need every single value. For example is there a way to grep line 2, like: # echo $bla | grep --line 2 345 :) Thank you in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2retti
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to configure mail setting to send mail to outlook mail server

i have sun machines having solaris 9 & 10 OS . Now i need to send mail from the machines to my outlook account . I have the ip adress of OUTLOOK mail server. Now what are the setting i need to do in solaris machines so that i can use mailx or sendmail. actually i am trying to automate the high... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitranjansahu
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between handle to the thread HANDLE and thread identifier pthread_t

This question might be silly but its confusing me a bit: What is the difference between handle to the thread HANDLE and thread identifier pthread_t? ---------- Post updated at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:48 PM ---------- Sorry I saw details and HANDLE is in windows and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handle error

I have a script as below , the script can tar file to the tape , however , it is fail to handle the error , if there is error like the backup file is in writing , then it will echo this is fail ( but the file has successful backup actually , so the backup task is succes , but it still report it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM (in reply to MAIL FROM comm

I am having trouble getting mail to work on a red hat server. At first I was getting this message. Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: connect to :25: Connection refused Then added the port to my firewall. Then I temporarily turned off selinux. I then copied this file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
mlmmj-sub(1)						      General Commands Manual						      mlmmj-sub(1)

NAME
mlmmj-sub - subscribe address to a mailinglist run by mlmmj SYNOPSIS
mlmmj-sub -L /path/to/list -a john@doe.org [-c | -C] [-d | -n] [-h] [-U] [-V] -a: Email address to subscribe -c: Send welcome mail -d: Subscribe to digest version of the list -C: Request mail confirmation -h: This help -L: Full path to list directory -m: Subscriber moderation string -n: Subscribe to nomail version of the list -s: Don't send a mail to the subscriber if already subscribed -U: Don't switch to the user id of the listdir owner -V: Print version DESCRIPTION
This utility is used to subscribe people to the specified mailinglist. It will write the email address in a file with the name of the beginning letter of the email address getting subscribed in the <listdir>/subscribers.d/ directory. Unless the -U switch is used it will switch its user id to the user id owning the list directory. This is done to make sure that new files created are having correct permissions. The nomail version of the list is a list version where people are subscribed like usual, but they won't recieve any postings to the list. This is useful for people who read the mailinglist through a news gateway, but want to be able to post to the list. Normally a mail is sent to the subscriber if the address is already subscribed to the list. If the -s switch is used such a mail will not be sent. When neither -c nor -C are specified, subscription silently happens. SEE ALSO
mlmmj-unsub(1), setuid(2) AUTHORS
This manual page was written by the following persons: Soren Boll Overgaard <boll@debian.org> (based on html2man output) Mads Martin Jorgensen <mmj@mmj.dk> mlmmj-sub September 2004 mlmmj-sub(1)