Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris sendmail "root... User address required." error Post 302123876 by reborg on Wednesday 27th of June 2007 02:57:37 PM
Old 06-27-2007
What is being suggested is that you use the standard client configuration and do not attempt to directly relay all mail.

Instead you construct an alias for each non-local user in /etc/mail/aliases eg:

Code:
john:   john@example.com

then type in 'newaliases' to build the alias list.

This will be relayed to the mailhost, you then do not alias the local delivery accounts such as root. Mail will then be relayed to the fully qualified name, and non relayed mail will stay local.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to give non root user sudo to "crontab -l"

Does anyone know if this is possible? I want to give some users access to root's crontab but only with a read privilege. Is this possible to do or can only root or people with full root sudo view root's cron? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
4 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Ho do I masquerade the "user@user.local" address in mail/mailx?

Hi, I'm brand new here and looking for a solution: I'm using mail or mailx. The default reply address is «myshortusername@mylongusername.local» which makes absolutely no sense for anybody receiving my emails. But how do I change it? There seem to be many solutions but none for Mac OS X.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gczychi
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

error"warning: user owen does not exist - using root"?

I am trying to install openmotif22-2.2.3-18.src.rpm, after I typed in " rpm -i openmotif22-2.2.3-18.src.rpm" the following message comes out: warning: user owen does not exist - using root warning: group owen does not exist - using root I am install openmotif under root account. Do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishwater00
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to allow particular user only to login as a root using "ssh" ?

Q1 I want to allow particular user only to login into root using ssh. I have set PermitRootLogin no for security purpose but I want to allow some of the users to login as a root using ssh how to do this? I have tried with Allowusers user1 user2 its working for only the user1 and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
3 Replies

5. Solaris

"! bad user (root)" in cron log

I am getting the following error in the cron log: ! bad user (root) Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 < root 8989 c Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 rc=1 What does this mean? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

Sendmail saying "user unknown" after setting up MX

Hi Friends, I set up the sendmail in my perosnal home lab. I am using mutt to send the email in between the machines. Everything is working fine if i send email like <username>@<hostname>. Now i set up the MX record for my domain "home.com" and then i was trying to send the email to like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
2 Replies

7. AIX

Change "root" to "root.admin" in outgoing e-mails

Our AIX servers send e-mails which have the "from" address set to "root@company.com" for our root user ("C{M}company.com" in /etc/sendmail.cf). The problem is that when bad e-mails are sent out or rejected by remote servers, they are being returned and delivered to e-mail box of "Mary Root". ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Root running a script calling to scp using user "xyz" is not authenticating!

Close duplicate thread. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: denissi
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run root level command , if user has "su -" permission in sudoers provided?

I am looking t run root level command on multiple servers, but all servers have only "su - " permission available in sudoers. please help me if any way that I can run command using help of "su -" My script for hosts in `cat hosts.txt`; do echo "###########################Server Name-... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yash_message
5 Replies
ALIASES(5)							File Formats Manual							ALIASES(5)

NAME
aliases - aliases file for sendmail SYNOPSIS
aliases DESCRIPTION
This file describes user ID aliases used by sendmail. The file resides in /etc/mail and is formatted as a series of lines of the form name: addr_1, addr_2, addr_3, . . . The name is the name to alias, and the addr_n are the aliases for that name. addr_n can be another alias, a local username, a local file- name, a command, an include file, or an external address. Local Username username The username must be available via getpwnam(3). Local Filename /path/name Messages are appended to the file specified by the full pathname (starting with a slash (/)) Command |command A command starts with a pipe symbol (|), it receives messages via standard input. Include File :include: /path/name The aliases in pathname are added to the aliases for name. E-Mail Address user@domain An e-mail address in RFC 822 format. Lines beginning with white space are continuation lines. Another way to continue lines is by placing a backslash directly before a new- line. Lines beginning with # are comments. Aliasing occurs only on local names. Loops can not occur, since no message will be sent to any person more than once. If an alias is found for name, sendmail then checks for an alias for owner-name. If it is found and the result of the lookup expands to a single address, the envelope sender address of the message is rewritten to that address. If it is found and the result expands to more than one address, the envelope sender address is changed to owner-name. After aliasing has been done, local and valid recipients who have a ``.forward'' file in their home directory have messages forwarded to the list of users defined in that file. This is only the raw data file; the actual aliasing information is placed into a binary format in the file /etc/mail/aliases.db using the program newaliases(1). A newaliases command should be executed each time the aliases file is changed for the change to take effect. SEE ALSO
newaliases(1), dbm(3), dbopen(3), db_open(3), sendmail(8) SENDMAIL Installation and Operation Guide. SENDMAIL An Internetwork Mail Router. BUGS
If you have compiled sendmail with DBM support instead of NEWDB, you may have encountered problems in dbm(3) restricting a single alias to about 1000 bytes of information. You can get longer aliases by ``chaining''; that is, make the last name in the alias be a dummy name which is a continuation alias. HISTORY
The aliases file format appeared in 4.0BSD. $Date: 2013-11-22 20:51:55 $ ALIASES(5)