Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep using regexp
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep using regexp Post 302123858 by earnstaf on Wednesday 27th of June 2007 01:53:36 PM
Old 06-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by atripat
try using quotes ... use
Code:
grep "stuff*filter"

No go... still no output.

Also tried it as
Code:
ls -al stu* | awk '{print $6,$7,$8,$9}' | grep "stuff*filter" > testgrep

testgrep is empty.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regexp

Hi guys, does anyone know how to test for a regular expression - i want to include it in a script to make sure the variable is a regexp cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penfold
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regexp

Hi there! I would like to know how to find and replace all numbers in a *.html file and make them bold. Any help will be appreciated! :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a regexp to grep via a shell script

Hello, I have the output of ls -l stored in a text file called "files.txt". -rwx------ 1 user1 dev 130 Sep 21 16:14 sc1.sh -rwxr----- 1 user1 dev 10328 Sep 29 20:11 sc10.sh -rwxr----- 1 user1 dev 9984 Sep 30 15:33 sc11.sh -rwxr----- 1 user1 dev ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogersed
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print the line immediately after a regexp; but regexp is a sentence

Good Day, Im new to scripting especially awk and sed. I just would like to ask help from you guys about a sed command that prints the line immediately after a regexp, but not the line containing the regexp. sed -n '/regexp/{n;p;}' filename What if my regexp is 3 word or a sentence. Im... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ownins
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with grep regexp

My input file looks like this: 13154|X,the deer hunter 13154|Y,the good life 1316|,american idol 1316|,bowling 1316|,chuck etc... The X, Y, or any other character (besides a comma) after the pipe is a "Device Type". I want to strip out lines that do not have a device type. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwinsk
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Regexp not working correctly

Consider the following code: grep -o -e '^STEAM_::\d+$' workfile3.tmp A sample format of a valid string for the regexp would be: STEAM_0:1:12345678 Here is an example line from the workfile3.tmp file: 465:L 01/02/2012 - 00:05:33: "Spartan1-1-7<8><STEAM_0:1:47539638><>" connected No... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spinner0205
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A help in regexp and grep

I have test string value , something like the one below str='KUAMRJIT|GHOSH' If I type echo $str | grep -o -e '\|+' it doesnt give me anything . But on the contrary echo $str | grep -o -e '|' display the only one pipe character(|) thats there in the string above . The way I understood Unix... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter non-alpha character with grep/regexp

Hi all, I am trying to filter out those lines that contain a "non-alpha" character. An example of my input is the following: zygnematales grb zygocactus grb zygocactus_truncatus plt zygodactyl_foot prt zygoma prt zygomatic prt zygomatic_arch prt zygomatic_bone ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regexp

I would like to extract "1333 Fairlane" given the below text. The word "Building:" is always present. The wording between Building and the beginning of the address can be almost anything. It appears the the hyphen is there most of the time. Campus: Fairlane Business Park Building:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbaker@copesan.
9 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

A Regexp You Can Use Everywhere

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ bakunin (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
0 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)