Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: logical if condition
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting logical if condition Post 302123841 by aigles on Wednesday 27th of June 2007 10:51:56 AM
Old 06-27-2007
For a new question, create a new thead.

Works fine on my AIX box.
On which system do you have a problem with this ps command ?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

logical OR in sed

frnds.. can i perform an OR operation in sed syntax ? if yes.. how? I need to search for some 2-3 mail addresses in multiple files and delete all those... and instead of them.. I need to insert a new mail id...( these are also other emails in that list .. which sud not be affected ) is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: clx
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to do logical AND and logical OR with grep

Hi can someone please help me on this. I need to perform this code: Grep any lines that meets the following criteria (A AND B) OR (A AND C) I tried this code, but it didn't work Grep-I "A &&B" | "A&&C" *.* $ thanks in advance (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Needhelp2
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logical error

I have this script to uvscan-update. Seems like that i am getting logical error at the end of the script. It is updating the script and also giving the error message to update it manually. I have deleted the DAT files to see if it will create new and it does. Below is the error and the script: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mk07md
1 Replies

4. AIX

Logical Partitions?

I'm trying to find out how many logical partitions our AIX box has. I'm running the command: topas -C and nothing is showing up. Is it safe to say that there is only one LPAR, which is what AIX is installed on? Move to AIX - jim mc (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Difference between [condition] and [[condition]] and ((condition)) when used with if condition

Executed the following if conditions .. and got different results . only (( )) gave correct o/p with all scenarios . Can anybody please let me know what is the difference between and ] and ((condition)) when used with if condition. And why each condition gave different result. 1.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soumyabubun
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stdout echo command in condition A run in condition B

hi, I have some problems in my simple script about the redirect echo stdout command inside a condition. Why is the echo command inside the elif still execute in the else command Here are my simple script After check on the two diff output the echo stdout redirect is present in two diff... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to use logical or and i must be missing something

greetings, i am trying to force the user to ensure that $CPUS equals 12 or 24. it cannot be any other value including null. after the expr statement $AMT needs to equal 1 or 2. how i read the line in question is "if $CPUS is zero/null or not equal to 12 or not equal to 24" then issue the message,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition return 0 even when it fails to satisfy te condition

HI My doubt may be basic one but I need to get it clarified.. When i use "if" condition that checks for many AND, OR logical conditions like if ]; then return 0 fi Even the if condition fails it returns as zero.. Any clue.. But if i add else condition like if ]; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies
GETOPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 GETOPT(1)

NAME
getopt -- parse command options SYNOPSIS
args=`getopt optstring $*` ; errcode=$?; set -- $args DESCRIPTION
The getopt utility is used to break up options in command lines for easy parsing by shell procedures, and to check for legal options. Optstring is a string of recognized option letters (see getopt(3)); if a letter is followed by a colon, the option is expected to have an argument which may or may not be separated from it by white space. The special option '--' is used to delimit the end of the options. The getopt utility will place '--' in the arguments at the end of the options, or recognize it if used explicitly. The shell arguments ($1 $2 ...) are reset so that each option is preceded by a '-' and in its own shell argument; each option argument is also in its own shell argu- ment. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment shows how one might process the arguments for a command that can take the options -a and -b, and the option -o, which requires an argument. args=`getopt abo: $*` # you should not use `getopt abo: "$@"` since that would parse # the arguments differently from what the set command below does. if [ $? != 0 ] then echo 'Usage: ...' exit 2 fi set -- $args # You cannot use the set command with a backquoted getopt directly, # since the exit code from getopt would be shadowed by those of set, # which is zero by definition. for i do case "$i" in -a|-b) echo flag $i set; sflags="${i#-}$sflags"; shift;; -o) echo oarg is "'"$2"'"; oarg="$2"; shift; shift;; --) shift; break;; esac done echo single-char flags: "'"$sflags"'" echo oarg is "'"$oarg"'" This code will accept any of the following as equivalent: cmd -aoarg file file cmd -a -o arg file file cmd -oarg -a file file cmd -a -oarg -- file file SEE ALSO
sh(1), getopt(3) DIAGNOSTICS
The getopt utility prints an error message on the standard error output and exits with status > 0 when it encounters an option letter not included in optstring. HISTORY
Written by Henry Spencer, working from a Bell Labs manual page. Behavior believed identical to the Bell version. Example changed in FreeBSD version 3.2 and 4.0. BUGS
Whatever getopt(3) has. Arguments containing white space or embedded shell metacharacters generally will not survive intact; this looks easy to fix but isn't. Peo- ple trying to fix getopt or the example in this manpage should check the history of this file in FreeBSD. The error message for an invalid option is identified as coming from getopt rather than from the shell procedure containing the invocation of getopt; this again is hard to fix. The precise best way to use the set command to set the arguments without disrupting the value(s) of shell options varies from one shell ver- sion to another. Each shellscript has to carry complex code to parse arguments halfway correcty (like the example presented here). A better getopt-like tool would move much of the complexity into the tool and keep the client shell scripts simpler. BSD
April 3, 1999 BSD