Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DNS Server with IPv6 support
Special Forums IP Networking DNS Server with IPv6 support Post 302123687 by cbkihong on Tuesday 26th of June 2007 05:52:06 PM
Old 06-26-2007
What if you added the '-f inet6' to netstat? What is the output?

I'm not using AIX. Do you have utilities such as tcpdump available on your platform which is IPv6-enabled to verify that a UDP6 packet actually got sent with your UDP dig? I guess it could be due to misconfiguration of bind that it erroneously listened on IPv4.

What did you specify in the config for the "listen-on-v6" directive? If you want bind to listen on IPv6, you should have that.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

3. Solaris

NTP server to support IPv4 and IPv6 client

Hi I am looking to have an NTP server that will support both ipv4 and ipv6 clients. Is there anything specific about the configuration that I should be looking at? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeisken
7 Replies

4. Solaris

checking Solaris 10 DNS server for IPv6

hi, i have a Solaris 10 DNS server, how do you check whether it can support IPv6 networking ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exposure
0 Replies

5. Solaris

IPv6 for Solaris DNS

I have Bind running on a Solaris box that is our main public DNS. Given my very limited knowledge on DNS, I changed a few of the zones in the DNS to be 'dual-stack'. I did it through Webmin, but I know that I can also do it by adding an AAAA-record to the zone file. My question is how can I make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dardeer
2 Replies

6. IP Networking

[ipv6_test] Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support

Hello, i tried to enable IPv6 networking and after service network restart i seen these messages: FATAL: Error inserting ipv6 (/lib/modules/2.6.18-348.16.1.el5.028stab108.1/kernel/net/ipv6/ipv6.ko): Device or resource busy CRITICAL : Kernel is not compiled with IPv6 support Bringing up... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning ipv6 to bonding interface - getting old as well as changed ipv6 in ifconfig output

Hi, I have created a bonding bond1 interface with 6 Eth , mode=4. Recently i have changed my old ipv6 to new one and tried to restart as well as reload network service. Post which i can see old as well as changed ipv6 in ifconfig command output. Below are few files and command output for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
1 Replies

8. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What determines DNS will query IPV6 address?

When I do simple nslookup it does not generate any query for IPV6 (AAAA). But sometimes I see DNS query for both A and AAAA are generated. What decides this? The reason I do not want AAAA query is in most of the cases AAAA records are absent. Hence, if one DNS server fails, the clients keeps... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: broy32000
1 Replies
inet_type(4)							   File Formats 						      inet_type(4)

NAME
inet_type - default Internet protocol type SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/inet_type DESCRIPTION
The inet_type file defines the default IP protocol to use. Currently this file is only used by the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. The inet_type file can contain a number of <variable>=<value> lines. Currently, the only variable defined is DEFAULT_IP, which can be assigned a value of IP_VERSION4, IP_VERSION6, or BOTH. The output displayed by the ifconfig and netstat commands can be controlled by the value of DEFAULT_IP set in inet_type file. By default, both commands display the IPv4 and IPv6 information available on the system. The user can choose to suppress display of IPv6 information by setting the value of DEFAULT_IP. The following shows the possible values for DEFAULT_IP and the resulting ifconfig and netstat output that will be displayed: IP_VERSION4 Displays only IPv4 related information. The output displayed is backward compatible with older versions of the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. IP_VERSION6 Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. BOTH Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. The command-line options to the ifconfig and netstat commands override the effect of DEFAULT_IP as set in the inet_type file. For example, even if the value of DEFAULT_IP is IP_VERSION4, the command example% ifconfig -a6 will display all IPv6 interfaces. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Suppressing IPv6 Related Output This is what the inet_type file must contain if you want to suppress IPv6 related output: DEFAULT_IP=IP_VERSION4 SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), netstat(1M) SunOS 5.10 16 Jun 1999 inet_type(4)