Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting count the number chracters occurances in a line Post 302123601 by skyineyes on Tuesday 26th of June 2007 08:39:58 AM
Old 06-26-2007
Re:

Thanks

Could you help me regarding my other query also.
its just adjacent to this one.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find occurances of a directory and count

I am writing my first shell script to do the following: Find all occurrences of a directory from the pwd Delete the directory (which is a hidden directory) Provide feedback w/ the number of directories deleted The problems I am having are two-fold: The user may not have the appropriate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stringman
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurances of a character in a file

I want to find the number of occurences of a character in a file. How do i do it. Eg: $cat file1.txt Welcome to World of Unix. $ If i want to find the occurences of 'o' then I should be getting 3. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count occurances in a file

Hi, I have a fixed width file in the following format Sr.No A.No Name 1 2 PPP 3 4 PPP 5 6 TTT 7 8 OOO 9 10 OOO 11 12 OOO The 3rd column starts at position 10 and ends at 15. I want to count the number of occurances of each Name and output to a file Example in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk-how count the number of occurances of a pattern, when don't know the pattern

I've written a script to count the total size of SAN storage LUNs, and also display the LUN sizes. From server to server, the LUNs sizes differ. What I want to do is count the occurances as they occur and change. These are the LUN sizes: 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyber111
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurances of X Y Z in a file in 1 go.

Hi. I need to count multiple occurrences of X Y Z in a file in 1 go. At the moment I have the following scripts: ssh readonly@$ServerIP 'YEAR=xx;DAY=xx;MONTH=xx;LMONTH=xx;for i in 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 \ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23; do cat... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: msullivan
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to count number of ~ from each line and compare with next line

Hi, I have created one shell script in which it will count number of "~" tilda charactors from each line of the file.But the problem is that i need to count each line count individually, that means. if line one contains 14 "~"s and line two contains 15 "~"s then it should give an error msg.each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of occurances of string in a file?

Gurus, Need little guidance. I have A.txt and B.txt file. B.txt file contains Unique strings. Sample content of B.txt file for which i cut the fourth column uniquely and output directed to B.txt file And A.txt file contains the above string as a fourth column which is last column. So A.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the occurances of numbers

I have a file as shown below. I need to count the unique occurrences of numbers in the first and second column only if the third column is <= 10. Otherwise print the corresponding numbers as zero. Thanks in advance!:) 58 80 40.74 76 80 9.78 76 80 8 12 6 9 30 28 8.23 45 12 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: andreaalex
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurances for multiple files

I have some text files as shown below. I would like to add the values of each string. Your help would be appreciated!! file1.txt SUS 2 PRS 2 ALI 1 PRS 1 GLK 2 file2.txt PRS 3 GLK 6 SUS 18 Desired output SUS 20 PRS 6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arch
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the pipes "|" in line and delete line if count greter then number.

Hello, I have been working on Awk/sed one liner which counts the number of occurrences of '|' in pipe separated lines of file and delete the line from files if count exceeds "17". i.e need to get records having exact 17 pipe separated fields(no more or less) currently i have below : awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies
uuencode(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						       uuencode(4)

NAME
uuencode - format of an encoded uuencode file DESCRIPTION
Files output by consist of a header line followed by a number of body lines, and a trailer line. The command ignores any lines preceding the header or following the trailer (see uuencode(1)). Lines preceding a header must not look like a header. The header line consists of the word followed by a space, a mode (in octal), another space, and a string which specifies the name of the remote file. The body consists of a number of lines, each containing 62 or fewer characters (including trailing new-line). These lines consist of a character count, followed by encoded characters, followed by a newline. The character count is a single printing character, which represents an integer. This integer is the number of bytes in the rest of the line, and always ranges from 0 to 63. The byte count can be determined by subtracting the equivalent octal value of an ASCII space charac- ter (octal 40) from the character. Groups of 3 bytes are stored in 4 characters, 6 bits per character. All are offset by a space to make the characters printable. The last line may be shorter than the normal 45 bytes. If the size is not a multiple of 3, this fact can be determined by the value of the count on the last line. Extra meaningless data will be included, if necessary, to make the character count a multiple of 4. The body is terminated by a line with a count of zero. This line consists of one ASCII space. The trailer line consists of the word on a line by itself. SEE ALSO
mail(1), uuencode(1), uucp(1). uuencode(4)