Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Resize root disk slices
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Resize root disk slices Post 302123595 by FredSmith on Tuesday 26th of June 2007 08:28:10 AM
Old 06-26-2007
Resize root disk slices

I have a Sun box running Solaris 9.

My root disk was slices too small when it was installed and I am now at 99% capacity for my root partition.

Is it possible, and if so how?, to increase the size of slice 0 and decrease the size of slice 7??

Thanks!

Current partition table (original):
Total disk cylinders available: 24620 + 2 (reserved cylinders)

Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks
0 root wm 0 - 1440 1.99GB (1441/0/0) 4163049
1 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
2 backup wm 0 - 24619 33.92GB (24620/0/0) 71127180
3 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
4 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
5 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
6 unassigned wm 0 0 (0/0/0) 0
7 home wm 1441 - 24618 31.93GB (23178/0/0) 66961242

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

new disk slices

How do I create new disk slices taking space from an existing slice? Right now I have slice 6 (/usr) with 16G. I'd like to create slices 5 (/opt) and 7 (/export/home) and steal space from slice 6. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmgrady01
3 Replies

2. Solaris

mirroring root disk using svm - but no free slices for metadb's

Hi all, we have an existing system that was configured using just one of the (two) internal disks. I want to mirror the disk using SVM, but have realised there is no free slice for creating the metadb's. Is there a workaround I can use for this? In the past we have always kept slice 7 free -... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
8 Replies

3. SuSE

Resize Root Filesystem in SUSE Linux

Hello Experts, I am very new to unix environment. Root filesystem in one of our Linux boxes has almost reached 100%. is there a procedure/ way to resize the root filesystem. ****************************************************** ld8331:/ # df -h|more Filesystem Size Used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok1784
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Partitioning hard disk. Want 8 slices...have 9

Hi all I'm having difficulty setting up a proper disk structure on a 72GB HDD. The drive was previously part of a zfs pool. The zpool has ben destroyed and now I want to use the disk in a raid 5 array. I need to partition the disk accordingly though. This is what the partition table currently... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
7 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to RESIZE / root partition in RHEL5 (VM)?

Hi Team, Require your expertise on how to resize / partition. This is VM. Thank you. Reggy # df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda2 15G 13G 556M 96% / /dev/sda1 965M 43M 873M 5% /boot tmpfs 502M 0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Resize disk space

I am trying to resize my disk space to be bigger on my solaris server (Sun Fire V240) this server and other windows servers are attached to a SAN disks, the disk I want to resize is on the SAN. I have free space on the SAN disks so I added some space to the windows disks and I made some... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sofihdi
8 Replies

7. Red Hat

Fdisk reports the old size after disk resize

Hi, I'm running a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga) on VMWare. It is a production system for which I may not get downtime soon. I happened to resize a underlying disk and the changes are not reflecting in the fdisk ouput. Further details are as follows. The disk which i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
3 Replies

8. SCO

Resize root partition

I have SCO Openserver 5.0.5 Root partition is 96% full and I would like to make it bigger. How can this be done? 1) Can I use 'dd' to backup 'root' and then backup '/u' to a third hard disk, then divvy the primary hard disk to have a larger 'root' filesystem (i.e. previous root + u) 2) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grips03
5 Replies
cmdk(7D)							      Devices								  cmdk(7D)

NAME
cmdk - common disk driver SYNOPSIS
cmdk@target, lun : [ partition | slice ] DESCRIPTION
The cmdk device driver is a common interface to various disk devices. The driver supports magnetic fixed disks and magnetic removable disks. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a "raw" interface that provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A sin- gle read or write call usually results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore considerably more efficient when many bytes are transmit- ted. The names of the block files are found in /dev/dsk; the names of the raw files are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests to the magnetic disk must have an offset and transfer length that is a multiple of 512 bytes or the driver returns an EINVAL error. Slice 0 is normally used for the root file system on a disk, slice 1 as a paging area (for example, swap), and slice 2 for backing up the entire fdisk partition for Solaris software. Other slices may be used for usr file systems or system reserved area. Fdisk partition 0 is to access the entire disk and is generally used by the fdisk(1M) program. FILES
/dev/dsk/cndn[s|p]n block device (IDE) /dev/rdsk/cndn[s|p]n raw device (IDE) where: cn controller n dn lun n (0-7) sn UNIX system slice n (0-15) pn fdisk partition(0) /kernel/drv/cmdk 32-bit kernel module. /kernel/drv/amd64/cmdk 64-bit kernel module. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fdisk(1M), mount(1M), lseek(2), read(2), write(2), readdir(3C), scsi(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2004 cmdk(7D)